Are swiftboat charges 'unsubstantiated'

B_JQblonde

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
jq, just simply answer this question: why do you think it is so horrible for Kerry to refuse to make his SRB public, when Bush did EXACTLY the same thing?

Come on, give a real answer, not some catty-queen sound byte.

When Bush refused to release his records, he was crucified. The conclusion was drawn- he must have something to hide.
And Bush made very little reference to his service in his campaign

Kerry , on the other hand , DID make his service a big issue and was leaking oil in a bad way as result of SVT charges. He COULD have cut those guys off at the knees by releasing his records. Yet he didn't. Other than his his stellar lack of any major accomplishment in his 20 years in the Senate and his abysmal debate performance, the Swiftboaters charges were the main factor sinking his Presidential campaign.

One is led to the obvious conclusion he was hiding something.

B_JQblonde

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
JQ - you really should check your spelling when accusing others of being "dumb". I usually try to overlook these things, but the accusatory tone of your posts makes it impossible to resist.
Misses a-Wiggins could I send you my posts before I post them so you can fix em all ?

And get me a cup of coffe, no sugar, while you're at it.

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Did the swiftboats have outboard or inboard motors?

Inboard motors tend to be much more noisy and troublesome, they leak too.

Yeah. Who Cares? What does this have to do with TODAY, NOW, APRIL 20th 2007? How will revisiting this make today any better?

I am so over this. MOVE ON. FORWARD.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
When Bush refused to release his records, he was crucified. The conclusion was drawn- he must have something to hide.
And Bush made very little reference to his service in his campaign

Kerry , on the other hand , DID make his service a big issue and was leaking oil in a bad way as result of SVT charges. He COULD have cut those guys off at the knees by releasing his records. Yet he didn't. Other than his his stellar lack of any major accomplishment in his 20 years in the Senate and his abysmal debate performance, the Swiftboaters charges were the main factor sinking his Presidential campaign.

One is led to the obvious conclusion he was hiding something.
Typical right-wing troll answer.

You just outed yourself as not knowing what the hell you are talking about.

B_JQblonde

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I'm putting JQ on my ignore list because he doesn't conform to the groupthought from us koolkids.

WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
JQ: Have you ever engaged in any form of thoughtful, constructive dialogue on this board?

Please consider this question seriously, because I am not being flippant here.

B_JQblonde

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Sure you are.

Stop lying.

I do nothing BUT engage in thoughtful dialogue here. <mixed in with some clever insults in SELF-defense --as in after I have been insulted first> .

My viewpoint doesn't conform to the overwhelming lw groupthink, thus the namecalling.

Liberals tend to be very close-minded and tend to be very haughty about their perceived intellectual superiority.

B_JQblonde

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Just out of curiosity mindseye.

I posted a serious article for comment.

I added my own comments in reponse to serious questions.

Why did you feel the need to single me out for allegedly not engaging in thoughtful conversation, as opposed to , say, the above peabrain? or Kotchanski ? or nineinch160IQ<derisive smirk>?

DO you consider their repsonses to be the model of constructive dialogue??

B_Hung Muscle

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I was walking down the street in DC today and everyone was wearing shorts and T-shirts. It's so great to be back to warm weather -- and just in time for a super Friday night. All the cute cute boys will be out in abundance tonight.

YOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWSA

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Democracy Project: Democracy Project

The Left created a new verb, “swiftboating,” to represent false political charges that are, again a term endlessly repeated in the media, “unsubstantiated” in reference to the case presented by the Swift Boat Veterans For Truth against John Kerry during the 2004 presidential campaign.
The Swift Boat veterans presented much corroborated evidence and witness reports, and other researchers confirmed many elements. Largely due to the unwillingness of John Kerry to come clean about his record, however, there are elements that have not been firmly tied down. The major media, then till now, have mostly failed to investigate the charges or press Kerry for his claims or records, and some major venues collaborated with Kerry to squelch the charges.
So, that works to leave those still defending John Kerry’s record with leeway and ink to quibble or to besmirch the Swift Boat veterans. But, Kerry dares not to reveal his full records or go into court. Instead, he relies upon allies in the media to evade, obfuscate and to smear.

spacer.gif
spacer.gif
Cajun Duck and Mushroom Stew1 (4 to 5-pound) duck, rinsed well and patted dry, excess fat removed
4 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 pounds wild mushrooms (chanterelle, wood ear, shiitake, oyster), cleaned, stemmed and diced
1 1/2 cups finely chopped yellow onions
3/4 cup finely chopped celery
3/4 cup finely chopped green, red and/or yellow bell peppers
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 (12-ounce) bottle Abita Turbo Dog, or other stout beer
6 cups chicken stock
1 teaspoon dried thyme
2 bay leaves
4 teaspoons Essence, recipe follows
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Steamed long or medium-grain white rice, accompaniment
1 cup chopped green onions, green tops only, for garnish
1/2 cup chopped parsley, for garnish
Using a sharp boning or butcher's knife, cut along either side of the backbone, remove and discard. Cut the duck in half through the breastbone. Cut the legs from each half. Remove the first 2 digits of the wings. Set the legs aside and cut the breasts in half horizontally.
Season the duck with 1 teaspoon of salt and the black pepper.
Place a large Dutch oven over medium heat until hot. Place the seasoned duck, skin-side down, in the pan and sear until golden brown, 7 to 8 minutes per side. Remove from the pan.
To the fat remaining in the pan, add the vegetable oil. Stir in the flour. Using a heavy wooden spoon, stir the roux constantly over medium heat until it reaches the color of dark chocolate, 20 to 25 minutes. Add the mushrooms, onions, celery, peppers and garlic and cook, stirring, until soft, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the beer and stir to incorporate. Add the stock, thyme, bay leaves, Essence, cayenne pepper and the remaining 3 teaspoons of salt. Stir well to blend. Increase the heat and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and return the seared duck pieces to the pot. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour and 30 minutes. With tongs, carefully transfer the duck pieces to a platter to cool. When cool enough to handle, remove the skin and discard. Remove the meat from the bones and return to the gumbo. Discard the bay leaves. To serve, ladle into large soup bowls and top each portion with about 1/4 cup of hot rice. Garnish with the green onions and chopped parsley, and serve immediately.

Big Dreamer

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'll chime in on this one........ This isn't an IQ contest, so your 'pea brain' comment isn't relevant, nor do I give a shit about your negative-ass opinion. As far as whether or not we're a model of 'constructive dialogue', you can look through the post history and see a variety of both supportive and non-supportive posts based on the actual subject matter, not just cut and past hate mail about the Democratic party.

I pity the people in your personal life if the non-internet JQ is a close fascimile of the online version.

B_JQblonde

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
What 'problem' am I causing?

Picking up a gun and killing 32 people. THAT's a problem.

Posting an article on an internet forum? I don't see that as a problem.

Oh , what claim have I ever not 'backe up"

rubberwilli

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I was thinking about seeing "300" tonight? Anyone see that film?

I'm waiting for it to come out on DVD so I can watch it over...and over...and over...and over...in the privacy of my own room. Or at least my friends have told me that would be the best scenario....:rolleyes:

Blocko

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Well, dialogue involves more than one person. Thoughtful implies you not only think, but you provoke thought, as opposed to rote responses and ad hominem slurs. Constructive implies that each part you add to the dialogue makes the whole a more complete construction.

Your viewpoint (or should I say your idealogically robotic spam-a-thon) is generally laughable. You're attacking the usage of the term where your real point (I say "your" point, really it's someone elses you wanted to share, none of that groupthink commie style constructive dialogue we "liberals" like) is to attack Kerry and draw attention to the issue for political gain.

The attacks on Kerry are unsubstantiated in the sense that there hasn't been conclusive evidence or proof. That's not to say it isn't true, but his choosing not to release his records is not substantiating evidence. It could even be procedural, as most of these sorts of things are governed by retention schedules - and a politician's office probably has it's own retention, privacy and release policies.

Of course, the other important thing is that it's unsubstantiated in the eyes of the people using the word (i.e. those people you brand "liberals"). They are the ones connecting the symbol "swiftboating" with the meaning of "making unsubstantiated claims". Therefore the word has that meaning within their dialect and there isn't much left to debate on that one.

Sure you are.

Stop lying.

I do nothing BUT engage in thoughtful dialogue here. <mixed in with some clever insults in SELF-defense --as in after I have been insulted first> .

My viewpoint doesn't conform to the overwhelming lw groupthink, thus the namecalling.

Liberals tend to be very close-minded and tend to be very haughty about their perceived intellectual superiority.