Are there any "fragrances" you just cannot abide?

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Another thread reminded me of an event a fews years ago.

We were on holiday with some pals and during the day I bought some "Angel for men" aftershave. I wore it that night and one of my pals liked it so much he asked to use some.

A couple of hours later at dinner I found the smell of it vile eventhough it was great when I first applied it. I went to the gents to wash it off. My pal followed me saying he was pleased I had said something as it was making him ill too. We both had a good wash down to get rid of it. After leaving the restaurant we called into a perfumerie to try the testers and get rid of the smell :smile:

To this day I cannot bear to smell it on anyone. :redface:

Do you have an aftershave or perfume that you just can't abide the smell of on anyone?

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Any fragrance that is put on too heavy makes me want to throw up a little in my mouth. However there are a few that no matter how lightly it's applied I can't stand it.
Giorgio (woman's)
Polo (men's)
and Aramis (I'm not sure if they still make it)
On the other hand there are certain men that I love the smell of Old Spice because it reminds me of someone. And on certain woman Joy reminds me of my mother when I was young(ger)!

DiscoBoy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Most cologne makes me nauseous. Love to smell perfume on women, but cannot be around men drenched in cologne (I can deal with a very slight amount).

The absolute worst would have to be Tag/Axe. Just a whiff of that crap and I'm gone.

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
You beat me to it. I can't stand that stuff.

Although, it's one of the few that doesn't make me sneeze.

I have to admit to rarely leaving the house without wearing aftershave albeit a subtle amount. Everyone single one makes me sneeze when I first put it on :redface: That has to be vanity :cool:

nattynatt

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Any fragrance that is put on too heavy makes me want to throw up a little in my mouth. However there are a few that no matter how lightly it's applied I can't stand it.
Giorgio (woman's)
Polo (men's)
On the other hand there are certain men that I love the smell of Old Spice because it reminds me of someone. And on certain woman Joy reminds me of my mother when I was young(ger)!

My very first bottle of After Shave (it was the mid-80s) was Polo. It was an odd choice for a 13yr old But, at the time, i believed it to be very debonair. If i get the slightest whiff now, though, it makes me want to heave. I actually think i have really bad taste when it comes to scent. There's a perfume guide, compiled by Luca Turin who, by all accounts, is the #1 nose in the business. Virtually all his faves (Polo included) i loathe &, the ones i like, he classifies in the rank section. I've spent a small fortune, over the years, trying to find my signature smell. As i've got older, my choices have become far more obscure & expensive. I even toyed with the idea of having my very own scent blended. It's taken me over 20yrs to dispense of all fragrance & smell of nothing but soap, & because i think deodorant is evil, the occasional bit of pit-sweat. It's very liberating.

SilverTrain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Giorgio (woman's)
Polo (men's)

I spied some Aramis in a department store last xmas, so, it lives! I've long wished it smelled better because I dig the name (Alexander Dumas, and all that)

Polo reminds me of high school and makes me wretch.

The rule of cologne and perfume is:

Lightly! Lightly!

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
I hate Giorgio too and I can't stand any perfumes by Dolce and Gabbana ( they all have the same hidious cleaning chemical undertone ) and I can't stand Gio by Giorgio Armani. The list goes on and on actually so I may be a prolific contributor to this thread.

Axe/Tag/Lynx mentioned above is not a fragrance in my opinion it's so vile and so unrelated to perfumery that it reminds me of the stuff Taxi drivers use after someone has puked in their taxi to cover the smell.

DiscoBoy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Axe/Tag/Lynx mentioned above is not a fragrance in my opinion it's so vile and so unrelated to perfumery that it reminds me of the stuff Taxi drivers use after someone has puked in their taxi to cover the smell.
I prefer the smell of the puke!:puke:

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
Just as an fyi, cologne and perfume, same thing.

Not exactly, perfume encompasses a range of things, including eau de cologne, eau de parfum, eau de toilette, pure parfum, parfum d'ambience, body oils e.t.c. But broadly your right.

Some people do use the term perfume to mean women's fragrances, or even to mean parfum or eau de parfum. Cologne is a catch-all term for men's fragrances but can also refer to the specific eau de cologne dilution.

SilverTrain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Not exactly, perfume encompasses a range of things, including eau de cologne, eau de parfum, eau de toilette, pure parfum, parfum d'ambience, body oils e.t.c. But broadly your right.

Some people do use the term perfume to mean women's fragrances, or even to mean parfum or eau de parfum. Cologne is a catch-all term for men's fragrances but can also refer to the specific eau de cologne dilution.

I bow to your eminent expertise, monsieur.

I was objecting to the general "perfume is for women, cologne is for men" sentiment. I will cease any further research efforts to clarify the matter, and treat you as an expert in the field from here on out.

I assume I am wise to do so.

Cheers

Last edited: