Are there any "fragrances" you just cannot abide?

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
I bow to your eminent expertise, monsieur.

I was objecting to the general "perfume is for women, cologne is for men" sentiment. I will cease any further research efforts to clarify the matter, and treat you as an expert in the field from here on out.

I assume I am wise to do so.

Cheers

Well your right, strictly speaking. Technically cologne ( or eau de cologne really ) is simply a variety of perfume, one designed for both men and women in fact. But common parlance has an irritating way of warping the technical meanings of terms and we purists must suffer the indignity of seeming anachronistic or pedantic.

Last edited:

SilverTrain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Deduct 5 lashes as a favour to me please, i thought it was funny! :redface:

It probably was funny, but I'm on a power trip.

Nonetheless, I'm also a conciliatory-ist, so, have your five lashes.

And I guess this means I have to buy chicago some shots.

SilverTrain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Well your right, strictly speaking. Technically cologne ( or eau de cologne really ) is simply a variety of perfume, one designed for both men and women in fact. But common parlance has an irritating way of warping the technical meanings of terms and we purists must suffer the idignity of seeming anachronistic or pedantic.

Ooh, you make it sound so much nicer than "Silverfuck was being an ass."

Bless you, dear.

SilverTrain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Ah so cynical. You weren't being an arse, if anyone was it was me, correcting you like that was extremely rude of me, please accept my apology :redface:

You insist on attempting to cast me in a more favorable light.

As this rarely (if ever) happens in my "real life", I will allow it.

And place a favorable mark for you in my lpsg black book.

[cue the Jerry Goldsmith]

I have two scents I cannot stand. The first is Obsession. I had the misfortune of spending the day shopping in Bloomingdale's with two girls and every single square foot of open floor space was littered with perfume bombers who were forced to say, and trust me you haven't heard this until you've heard it in a thick Brooklyn accent, "Live yoa wuheyeldist faaantasies with Calvirn Kloyins Absession."

And then they would spray you with it whether you wanted it or not. The whole store reeked of the stuff and within a mere two hours I grew to loathe the stuff and by lunch I couldn't go back in the store at all. It was just that horrible.

The second, "fragrance," I can't stand is Opium. I had the misfortune of working next to a woman who believed that there was no such thing as too much Opium. She bragged about her Opium soap, her Opium candles, and to say that she bathed with Opium was not hyperbole. She actually added it to her bath water. This very nice lady simply did not have the body chemistry to wear Opium and what wasn't a bad perfume, though certainly inappropriate for daytime, came to smell like a combination of brownies and fat person BO. I eventually had to ask my supervisor to move my desk and I liked my desk because it had a window but I couldn't stand the stench.

SilverTrain's a good guy and has a quick mind. I like him.

B_Dustydo

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Three day dead road kill.
Cattle trucks.
Dog farts.
Cigarette smoke - in the air, on someones breath, on their hands. It makes me gag. Funny how I love the smell of cigars esp. the ones with a Port wine/ chocolate aroma.
Durian fruit.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
The general muddle scents emanating from the open doors of a Body Shoppe is an olfactory assault I cannot stand. In malls, I am constantly on the lookout for those stores and avoid them like the plague. One whiff of their cheap scents is enough to trigger a migraine in me.

I also hate how large department stores put the parfume dept. right at the entrance where they are sure to nauseate me. Why do they do that?