Are there any household chores you ENJOY doing?

BIGBULL29

Worshipped Member
Media
State College (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
Pansexual
hmm....well when I'm in the right mood.... I love to scrub the bath tub and the toilet. I get ocd from time to time, I just really get off cleaning the bathroom. I mean I get on my hands and knees with a toothbrush and clean. I'm weird.....I know, but I love a clean bathroom

I'm just like you: I love making my bathroom as clean as possible. I will clean the toilet for about 20 minutes. I want that bathroom shining like a gem. But, again, I'm a clean freak.

What's strange is that I don't wash my hands very much after I urinate.:biggrin1:

njreg

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
The only thing I really don't mind is doing the laundry, since it's a fairly passive activity. Other chores require a detailed list so that I can mark off each one as it's finished...I need that sense of accomplishment. I do agree with the others, though, that the finished "product" is a great feeling of achievement.

Great thread, earllogjam. Reminded me of some things I need to do...

D_Bob_Crotchitch

Expert Member
Media
washing dishes as long as I can look out a window

My parents front yard was full of trees and flowering shrubs. I liked to look out the huge windows while I washed dishes. I'd turn the radio on too.

It's funny but I actually enjoy ironing. It's very calming for me. Other than that I can't say I have many faves around the house.

If I feel good enough, I like to cook. Cooking is very calming to me.

I'm just like you: I love making my bathroom as clean as possible. I will clean the toilet for about 20 minutes. I want that bathroom shining like a gem. But, again, I'm a clean freak.

What's strange is that I don't wash my hands very much after I urinate.:biggrin1:

Next time you come to New York you're staying with me. You clean my bathrooms, I'll do your ironing. :wink:

Washing your hands after urinating is pretty silly. Your penis is one of the cleanest parts of your body.

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
You've put your finger on the one serious difference my wife and I have.

I'm not a clean freak but by wife is, well, a slob. This causes more tension in our marriage than I care to admit.

My anal retentive friend does have a live in long term boyfriend now - I'm not sure how the dynamics work but I notice there is definitely a territorial division of space in their house - 2 sink bathroom (hell separate bathrooms), separate closets, each a office room for themselves, separate sides of the garage. The only thing they share I believe is their king size bed and the kitchen. I think she's in charge of the kitchen however...not sure about the bed though.

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Everything else, including washing dishes, I dislike immensely. Cleaning bathrooms is the worst. All those chemicals, all that scrubbing, all the nooks and crannies, blech!

I used to send all my laundry to the cleaners in my other life and I actually never learned to iron properly - took me about a year to do it properly as no one taught me all the tricks. I do it infrequently as I still use the cleaners these days.

I have a housekeeper every once in a while and she is very very good about using non-toxic cleaning agents as she is very health conscious being a granola "organic" type of person. She uses Bon Ami (a non-toxic cleanser with just abrasives), diluted white vinegar in a squirt bottle, baking soda occasionally on the carpet and insists on vacuums with HEPA filters. All cleaning rags are washed and recycled for the next time and she uses no paper or disposable cleaning gear. The house never smells chemically sanitized - just naturally clean which is great.

Clorox and P&G have brainwashed America into thinking that they need their toxic expensive products when much more healthy and sustainable un-sexy cleaning agents work just as well if not better.

Hazel the Maid here.
Rubi, isn't two weeks a long time to go before changing your sheets?

I used to send all my laundry to the cleaners in my other life and I actually never learned to iron properly - took me about a year to do it properly as no one taught me all the tricks. I do it infrequently as I still use the cleaners these days.

Be really careful with dry cleaning. The chemicals from dry cleaning (and fire retardants from mattresses) are found in semen of men who merely wear dry cleaned clothes or sleep on fire retardant mattresses. They're nasty stuffs. There are some dry cleaners that claim to be organic, but even then they only truly organic dry cleaning method is using liquified carbon dioxide. Most just use perchloroethylene, a known carcinogen. There is no regulation on using the term, "organic," in dry cleaning so if you walk into your dry cleaner's and it smells like every other dry cleaner, that's perchloroethylene you're smelling. It is best to air out the clothes you receive from the dry cleaner outdoors or some other well-ventilated area for 24 hours before you wear them. This will greatly mitigate, but not eliminate, your exposure.

Mattresses are just awful in general. I have a mattress that's mostly latex, but want to get one that's completely latex, which is completely natural and naturally fire-retardant, and then use organic covers without all those fire retardants impregnated in them.

I have a housekeeper every once in a while and she is very very good about using non-toxic cleaning agents as she is very health conscious being a granola "organic" type of person. She uses Bon Ami (a non-toxic cleanser with just abrasives), diluted white vinegar in a squirt bottle, baking soda occasionally on the carpet and insists on vacuums with HEPA filters. All cleaning rags are washed and recycled for the next time and she uses no paper or disposable cleaning gear. The house never smells chemically sanitized - just naturally clean which is great.

Lucky you! Next time she shows, could I trouble you to ask her what she uses to clean soap scum and toilets? The conditioners and body washes I use are the main culprit I think. It's a huge pain to buy all these different products to clean different things. Worse, the water is very hard and everything calcifies very quickly. Just wondering here.

Clorox and P&G have brainwashed America into thinking that they need their toxic expensive products when much more healthy and sustainable un-sexy cleaning agents work just as well if not better.

And so many other products! I'll use deodorant but won't go near antiperspirants. I have one ancient antiperspirant bar I use exclusively for weddings, funerals, and black/white tie events. I think it's over ten years old. You have to watch detergents, soaps, shampoos, dishwashing liquids, fabric softeners, and foods and food containers and cooking utensils! It really is a minefield out there.

Rubi, isn't two weeks a long time to go before changing your sheets?

Not if you're single :wink: and bathe before going to bed. I shower in the morning, soak in the tub before bed. It's nice.

Hippie Hollow Girl

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I enjoy entertaining.....cooking and feeding people. In order to do this at the drop of a hat, and because I have 2 young children that are counter productive.....I have developed some little tricks that make it look like my house is cleaner than it is. I use laundry baskets. I spend about 15 minutes in each room picking up and straightening. Anything that doesn't go in that room goes into a laundry basket. Then whoever the owner is has to come and put the object back in it's place in their room....or it gets purged. I love purging. I always have my trash bag with me. There's nothing like the feel of getting rid of unorganized clutter.

I like the idea of having a cleaning party. I need to try that. As it is, I hate household chemicals..... I don't want my children anywhere around when I am using them. So, I usually do that. I would love more green household cleaning ideas.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
This is a chore for the house not at the house, but I do not mind grocery shopping.