Are There Any Vista Pros Out There?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by HellsKitchenmanNYC, Oct 21, 2009.

1. HellsKitchenmanNYC

Gold Member

Albums:
    This is a really irritating problem. Vista laptops don't come w/restore discs you have to make them yourself. I keep trying and they keep failing. DVD+/- cd's keep failing. I can't use cdr's because it would take 11 discs vs 2 dvd's. Any ideas? Also the auto backup in Vista goes to a D drive. Mine is full and further backups keep failing. I keep trying to put this stuff on dvd's but nothing on the laptop will let me transfer the info to dvd's and them delete to clear the D drive. This is VERY irritating to say the least! :rolleyes: I'm using Vista Home Premium.

2. HellsKitchenmanNYC

Gold Member

Albums:
    I might wanna upgrade my laptop to Windows 7 next month.:wink:

3. D_Bob Scratchit

D_Bob Scratchit New Member

Have you tried using DVD-R's? And windows 7 is great, using it right now on a netbook with excellent performance and most drivers found automatically!

4. HellsKitchenmanNYC

Gold Member

Albums:
    I used 'em all.

+ - and cdr's.

5. Rikter8

Gold Member

Albums:
    What program are you using to perform the backup?
    I'm guessing an HP and using their Nifty "Restore CD" proggy?

Possibly try an external DVD RW drive. I've had a few PC customers with brand new laptops that could not burn, right out of the box. For some it was software related, others hardware.

Worst case, find someone with a OEM copy on ebay or like LPSG'er.
    The product codes are OEM, so they will work with any OEM disk set for Vista as long as its the same version and vendor (HP, Dell etc).

Win 7 is nice. Unfortunately I had to buy Vista Home Premium for a few jobs, and now would have to dish out another $120 for 7.

#5 Rikter8, Oct 21, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  6. HellsKitchenmanNYC

Gold Member

Albums:
    OK In English...lol.....What is a proggy? Slang for program? Also what is OEM?
    Nothing has worked so far!

7. HellsKitchenmanNYC

Gold Member

Albums:
    I was using the HP programs installed on the laptop. There seems to be no program that will let me burn this D drive to a disc either on the laptop or on Roxio WMN or real. and the Restore burn disc function fails everytime.

8. MercyfulFate

MercyfulFate New Member

Albums:
    I still have XP, that's how much I dislike Vista.

9. B_mitchymo

B_mitchymo New Member

I'm using vista home premium and had no problem when i made a back-up using dvd-r but my system is not very clogged up so perhaps you could lose some non-essentials?

10. B_mitchymo

B_mitchymo New Member

You're not missing much as you know.

11. HellsKitchenmanNYC

Gold Member

Albums:
    It wasn't too filled till my D drive got filled w/backup as I said. What should I drop? I still can't find a way to get the backup files onto a disc.

12. Rikter8

Gold Member

Albums:
    Try making the disk in the DOS utility or Safe Mode.
    Not a big suprise...but there's probably an issue with the windows HP disk utility.
    If the laptop is still in warranty, see if they can give you a patch that will fix the restore DVD functionality. If not - have them do it remotely, so they have to fix the issue under warranty, or send you disks. If it's not something they can fix, they will generally give up and send the disks needed.
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=c00809678&product=18703

You could also use a third party utility such as Norton Ghost and "Ghost" the drive for restoring later.

The best thing though, is to get a clean copy of vista OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer). I'll check with a few of my geeky peeps, and see if anybody has a clean copy of Vista for an HP that I might be able to send you.
    HP usually loads tons of extra garbage that's not needed with the windows install.

See if you have Nero and Roxio installed. These two programs generally do not cooperate well, and earlier versions of Roxio (ver.6 for sure) are not Vista Friendly.

Mitchy - what is your backup copy from? HP?
    If so, it will work for what he needs.

If all else fails, let me know and we can do a remote assistance session. I've done it for other folks here and it's helped them out

C

#12 Rikter8, Oct 21, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  13. HellsKitchenmanNYC

Gold Member

Albums:
    I tried roxio, I tried WMV I tried Real I tried the HP program tha is supposed to make these discs. Does it get anymore iritatng?!

14. Rikter8

Gold Member

Albums:
    There should be 1 disk it creates. A DVD-R 4.7GB single layer disk for the operating system.
    It may make more, but its for the programs etc.
    Just shut off all other disk burning programs, and only use the HP utility to create the restore DVD.

15. HellsKitchenmanNYC

Gold Member

Albums:

I did that tho it takes 2 discs to do it. It calculates the discs you'll need.

16. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    The answer to all your Windows problems lies here...or maybe here.

17. sdbg

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    If you can redirect the auto backup from the D: drive to another drive, you might consider getting a small external hard drive and saving the restore program there. An external hard drive comes in handy for photos, music, etc., and they're relative cheap. It would also get you past the DVD issue.

I use XP at work and Vista at home. I know XP better, but Vista came with my new home computer. I can work with it. Curious about Windows 7 . . .

18. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

I have 3 computers. One running XP Home, one running XP Pro and one running Vista. I have finished (today) removing all the windows operating systems from my computers. I'm running Unbuntu 9.04 on my desktop and laptop. I'm running a older version of Ubuntu on my older desktop. It is simply a amazing operating system. It can do everything Windows can do and do it better. Operating systems like Ubuntu and Fedora are part of the Linux family. There are many more out there, and they are free. I would urge anyone (Windows or Mac user) to learn more about them. This is the future. You don't know what your missing.

#18 Mr. Snakey, Oct 22, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  19. B_hungprepjock

B_hungprepjock New Member

Irrelevant, troll-like post cum would-be witticism, so popular with some tiresome, tendentious, boorish, old bores on the site, especially in this forum, as follows:

I think the OP perhaps should change his signature to Ain't I'm a Lapdog? Or perhaps Ain't I'm a Running Dog? Or Ain't I'm a Running Dog with a Laptop? Or...

Or could it be... Microsatan?

Isn't (ain't am? ain't be?) that special?

Please, excuse me, for farting in your face. No offence.

20. B_Hamadim

B_Hamadim New Member

Your "sense of humor" is boring.

Microsoft and Bill gates are doing the world good, tattoo it in your heart.

Draft saved Draft deleted