Are There Any Vista Pros Out There?

D_Tintagel_Demondong

Sexy Member
Media
All things pc mystify me!!! It appears I have 4 drives. The one (D) that is the backup is full--totally. I can't seem to make backup discs or recovery discs. But if I could make buckup discs why should I NOT delete the back up info in D drive freeing up that space? Argghhhh and bangs head on keyboard!:confused::confused:

Since you almost certainly don't have to hard drives on your laptop, I'm guessing that D is a hard drive partition or your recovery drive. I'm also guessing that D isn't your DVD drive, since you said that it was 'full'. Do you save files to D? Usually your recovery drive is hidden from Explorer, so I'm guessing that, for some strange reason, you have a hard disk partition that appears as a 'spare' drive in Explorer.

I'd simplify everything and dump everything onto your USB drive, reformat everything, get rid of all physical and logical partitions with an app like Partition Magic, and then install win7.

Last edited:

Pendlum

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Ok now I am COMPLETELY lost. I don't know nothin' 'bout birthin' no partitions.:biggrin1: All I know is when I try to make recovry and backup discs I can't. The recovery discs fail and I can't find a way to copy the D (backup) drive onto a disc(s).
Stop speaking French! lol!

You are using a backup program correct? If so, you should look up info regarding it and your laptop to see if anyone has had a similar problem. Updating your DVD drivers could help, though not too likely. If you are going to upgrade to Windows 7, you don't really need recovery discs for Vista. Just back up your personal files on your USB HD, or even just straight burn them to your DVDs, assuming your burner isn't the problem.

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Ok I'll say it ONE more time. I have 4 drives:
C the usual one
D is where files are backed up and it's full
E the recovery drive
G is marked local disc whatever that means.

I tried to make recovery discs and it failed multiple times. It may siplt be that I blew my one chance to make them. I don't know.
I can't make backup discs b/c I can't find an option on any program installed that will let me copy drive D and then clean up that drive and empty it.

Pendlum

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I'm curious, why do you want to make recovery discs anyways, do you not have the original install disc?

If the program can't copy from the D drive, it could be an access issue, are you set up as admin, run as admin? It being full shouldn't be an issue unless you were trying to write to it.

D_Tintagel_Demondong

Sexy Member
Media
I'm curious, why do you want to make recovery discs anyways, do you not have the original install disc?

If the program can't copy from the D drive, it could be an access issue, are you set up as admin, run as admin? It being full shouldn't be an issue unless you were trying to write to it.

That's what I was wondering. It seems that the Hp pavillion dv9500 has a restore partition on the HD, which would make recovery disks unnecessary.

~shrugs~