Are "trolls" a matter of perception?

yngjock20

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
This is a question for the promiscuous gay men (formerly or currently promiscuous) out there.

I'm sure most of you are familiar with the term "troll." Someone who is essentially slowing down or detering the cruising experience for whatever reason; be it sexual or otherwise.

Given that many people associate "trolls" with certain stereotyped men (old perverts, pushy asians, cock hogging queens, etc.), is it really more about what disinterests you about that person that makes them a troll, or is it simply something that the person is doing to annoy the shit out of everyone?

P.S. It's not my intention to offend anyone by stating generalizations as examples, so if they do offend you I'm sorry.

ramwella

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I thought the word "troll" was a gay term that just meant someone ugly or undesireable.

I didn't know the term got any deeper than that. Thanks for schooling a bi guy.

hairyguy29

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I think you're right on both counts yngjock, a troll is either someone who overtly displays traits which you cannot stand, or who is present simply to annoy everyone. It's the present with the intent to willfully annoy trolls which really get under my skin though. I mean there's flirting, there's cruising, and there's trolling. My BF and I met a guy shortly after coming to Toronto who was just the most forward, obnoxious, unrelenting person we'd ever encountered, and he's like that with everyone. Watch him at a party and you get to see him circle the room making inappropriate, clumsy passes at every person there. Once he's been shot down 2 or 3 times by everyone, he'll get bored and leave.

Finally had to call in a heavy hitter from Monteal to take him down about 69 pegs. He doesn't come around much anymore.

Hairyguy

viking1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

An attractive, boyish-looking, young gay man. The stereotypical twink is 18-22, slender with little or no body hair, often blonde, dresses in club wear even at 10:00 AM, and is not particularly intelligent. A twink is the gay answer to the blonde bimbo cheerleader.

There are two major theories about the origin of this word, both of which probably have elements of truth to them.

a) Twink comes from an acronym T.W.I.N.K. "Teenage, White, Into No Kink."

b) Twink is a shortening of the name for the famous "TWINKIE" snack cake: a tasty, cream-filled snack with no nutritional value. The phallic shape of the "TWINKIE" snack cake should not escape the reader's attention.

I didn't know what "twink" meant either, until recently after I looked it up on one of the online dictionaries.