Are Unsecured Wireles Networks Safe?

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I just got to fort Lauderdale today and am at a hotel and logged in to an unsecured wirelesss network, does anyone know if they are safe?

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
As long as you stay off most financial sites you should be fine.
If anyone spies on you and notices this site in your log, don't be surprised if you're mysteriously inquired upon for a last minute rendezvous. :wink:

D_Tintagel_Demondong

Sexy Member
Media
Others on the unsecured network could:

1. Read your incoming and outgoing POP3/SMTP email and it's passwords (email passwords ar not encrypted--passed as plain text). Very few ISP provided email is tunneled through SSL.
    Read your FTP passwords.
  2. Change your router connection settings.
  3. View your shared folders.
  4. Generally invade your privacy, from reading your LPSG HTTP headers to reading your blogs.
They aren't very likely to get into your non-shared files, unless they are very good hackers. I personally wouldn't worry much about this. Mostly people just steal bandwidth.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
As long as you stay off most financial sites you should be fine.
If anyone spies on you and notices this site in your log, don't be surprised if you're mysteriously inquired upon for a last minute rendezvous. :wink:

:biggrin1:

I'm not even gonna read all my e-mail. I just logged in to see if anything important came in, and then logged out.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Others on the unsecured network could:

1. Read your incoming and outgoing POP3/SMTP email and it's passwords (email passwords ar not encrypted--passed as plain text). Very few ISP provided email is tunneled through SSL.
    Read your FTP passwords.
  2. Change your router connection settings.
  3. View your shared folders.
  4. Generally invade your privacy, from reading your LPSG HTTP headers to reading your blogs.
They aren't very likely to get into your non-shared files, unless they are very good hackers. I personally wouldn't worry much about this. Mostly people just steal bandwidth.

okay, cool.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
So tell us about your trip? Did you see anything interesting along the way? Are you going to go apartment hunting tomorrow? What part of town are you in?

I will blog about my trip when I get all of my thoughts together. I did not see anything interesting on my trip. Yes, I will start apartment hunting tomorrow. I am in Fort Lauderdale right now.