Are Vitamin Supplements Safe?

Incocknito

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Well are they? TV told me I should be getting all these different vitamins.

But I remember before a different TV said that the supplements aren't safe. If the supplements aren't safe then what foods would you recommend in order to get all my vitamins?

I currently don't eat fruit or veg and haven't for a long time :redface:

Smartalk

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Everything taken in moderation and as directed is safe. Some vitamins more that others. If you take the B group of vitamins B1 - Thiamine; B1 - Thiamine; B2 - Riboflavin; B3 - Niacin; B6 - Pyridoxine; B12 - CobalaminB2 - Riboflavin; B3 - Niacin; B6 - Pyridoxine; B12 - Cobalamin. B12 being the all important vitamin of the group, for without that you will not absorb the rest of the Vitamin B Group.

To be able to absorb B12 you rely on an protein secreated by the gut, known as the intrinsic factor. People who suffer from pernicious are missing this vital protein. that is why the usually have a course of injection of Cyanocobalamin (cytamin) to help correct the the problem. Vitamins is a facinating subject, if you find the time, do some research and find out for yourself

MarkLondon

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I love my veg (with my meat/fish and carbs), but if i buy fruit it usually goes off. I'm just not inclined to eat it. So I drink a smoothie when I train at the gym instead.

If you're not eating fruit or veg, the obvious supplement to take is vit C.

M

Mr Ed in Mass

They are perfectly safe if not taken internally

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
If you want to use a supplement thats what it should be used as. You can take them without eating too. Many meds as well as nutritional supplements require other things for them to be useful to your body. Certian minerals won't absorb into the body unless they ride on other things your body absorbs such as fat. Many pills if taken on an empty stomach wioll do nothing or work less then expected. Even Blood Pressure meds require this, its why they are recommended to be taken with food or Milk.

Enid

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Just remember to pick one that isn't too high on the fat soluble vitamins.
Also, I was told by a doctor that if you put your vitamin in water and it doesn't dissolve within 5 minutes it's not absorbing in your body very well, so the chewable ones or liquid supplements work best.

Media
I have specific food allergies. The primary being Milk protein.

So to supplement my calcium intake I juice 3 - 4 times a week. I juice spinach, carrots, squash, apples and eat fresh salads with tomatoes etc. I take Alive! multivitamin with it and I drink Greens + for the added nutritional bonus.

This keeps my skin healthy and as a result when I do ingest something that has a Milk product in it, I have noticed my recovery time is faster. Otherwise it takes weeks to get over a break out.

I also take a proprietary blend of essential oils with Tonalin, Black current seed oil, Primrose oil and ALL the Omegas. I have done this for years and it works very well for me.

For the external aspect, all of my lotions contain Dead Sea minerals and no Parabens what so ever.

D_Jared Padalicki

Account Disabled
Media
Don't take A,D,E and K vitamin supplements, because if you take that too much, they stay in your body, if you take and overdose of it, they don't get out of your body when you pee, like when you take too much of other vitamins. Too much of A,D,E and K can have negatve effect on your body.

Incocknito

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
This seems like the news that I heard. The article reportedly cites a study that says there is "no benefit" to "antioxidant" vitamin supplements.

?No evidence? for vitamin benefit

What do you think? I mean if I really had to I can eat tomatoes and possibly apples and I do eat peas and sweetcorn and had a mushroom soup today, whatever vitamins are in that.

But I would like to take supplements so that I can be sure that I am getting the right amount of each vitamin. But is it safe / beneficial?

EDIT: Apparently the study only looked at whether supplements prolong or shorten life.

What I want to know is will I experience increased energy, altertness, concentration etc with vitamin supplements?

Bearing in mind that I don't eat fruit or vegetables and don't sleep very well at the moment.

Last edited:

MarkLondon

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Well, vitamins apart, you're probably very short on roughage (fibre). You should go for brown rice and wholegrain bread, and consider taking some bran cereal at breakfast. That might help you feel less sluggish.

MarkLondon

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
The RDA for vitamin C is 60mg. C is sold in tablets up to 500mg and 1g effervescent tablets mainly for people who believe massive doses can shorten a cold infection. I don't think those are intended for daily use.

The RDA for vitamin C is 60mg. C is sold in tablets up to 500mg and 1g effervescent tablets mainly for people who believe massive doses can shorten a cold infection. I don't think those are intended for daily use.

Yeh, that's right. I think they don't recommend more than 60mg a day 'cos that's all the body can absorb anyway - the rest gets pissed out cos it's soluble.

SC man - sorry to hear you're not sleeping well, m8 :( Maybe gradually focus on things you wanna change - sleep patterns, bit more fruit and veg, and implement it slowly. Took me ages to sort me diet out (and sleep patterns) - started with a bit of fruit every morning till i was used to it. Then a bit of salad or veg w/dinner. Dont need massive amounts as long as ur diet is balanced w/different kinds of stuff.

Good luck dude.

B_Monster

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
There isnt enough research to determine whether they are safe or not. Ive been taking many different ones for 14 years and no problems. As far as food: EAT YOUR FRIUTS AND VEGETABLES, DUH! :wink: You should be eating a variety of foods though. Try V-8s V-fusion juice, theres a serving of veg and fruit in every 8-oz

Well are they? TV told me I should be getting all these different vitamins.

But I remember before a different TV said that the supplements aren't safe. If the supplements aren't safe then what foods would you recommend in order to get all my vitamins?

I currently don't eat fruit or veg and haven't for a long time :redface:

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Anyone taking any medications of any type needs to check with his/her doctor before taking supplements; the interactions can range from counterproductive to (potentially) lethal.

I'm always especially leery of OTC supplements: there are no standards regulating their purity or whether or not the dosing on the label is even accurate.

purplewhitemajor

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
There are some supplements I have learned to stay away from, even multivitamins if you're not careful. I guess it depends on what you're goal is. My dad gave me a supplement called Juice Plus - which is basically a blend of all the fruits and vegetables recommended daily in capsules. I also take an Omega 3-6-9 blend which I heard has a multitude of benefits.