Are you a gardener?

njreg

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
As spring approaches - well, technically already here - many of us are planning our veggie/flower gardens. This will be my first time ever planting an actual plot of anything, other than full-scale farming (I grew up on a 1,200+ acre grain farm).

For starters, I'm doing something "simple," planting a small plot of sunflowers. Not only are they pretty, but I'll be able to use the seeds for the birds and squirrels after harvest.

What are you planting this year?

D_CountdeGrandePinja

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Being here in So. Fla. we are green most of the time. This Spring I'll going to plant new trees and transplant another - we need trees here with good canopy and deep root systems.

Nice thread - thanks - Good Luck with your endeavors.

The Dragon

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Yes I have green thumbs.
I have grown my own organic vegetables and tended fruit trees.
When I with my ex-husband I had huge collections of Heliconias and Flowering Gingers.

B_Nick4444

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
was outside this morning ...

My Colorado Blue Spruce is covered in new needles ... my Phoenix roeblinii is also throwing out new fronds ... my Norfolk Island Pine is also flush with new foliage ... my Bauhinia is covered in blooms ... my Blue Atlas Cedar, I think will stay in its planter for a year or two longer ... my Pinus roxburghii, Pinus sylvestris, Pinus yunannensis, Pinus nigra, Pinus tabuliformis, and Pinus pinea need bigger planters, ditto my Araucaria cunninghamii, and Araucaria bidwelli, as well as my various Agaves (including tequiliana) ... think I'll plant a Juniper "Wichita Blue" in front of my roses ... couldn't get enough of the scent of the orange, lemon, and grapefruit blossoms ... am thinking will plant a hedge of red-throated yellow hibiscus, and Brazilian sky-flower ... still undecided as to which annual bloomers for the different flower beds ... couldn't get enough of the butterflies, hummingbirds, and green garden lizards ... (then I had to go to work:grumble:)

lucky8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
i wish i could grow pot but it's way too risky. now would be the perfect time too. spring is here and everything is all pretty. how sad for me though =(

been there, done that...a few times actually. it was pretty dank :biggrin1:

Northland

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
What are you planting this year?
Nothing.

In the 4th grade, (back before schools had been invented), I grew two lima bean plants. One was in the shade and the other was in the only window in the fucking apartment which had any sunlight (and even that was very little). Both plants grew, one day during the rice wars I was hungry (our approval on surplus food was not yet done), and I ate all the lima beans. Ate them with the ketchup I had swiped from the Automat.

My grandfather scolded me and made clear that my terrible behavior showed a lack of decency and goodness. Seeing as how I had disgraced the family, I put on my sweater and headed down to the subway tunnels to live out my remaining days.

It was some weeks later when Officer Shillabotnick found me in the old Lexingon Avenue station by 18th Street (station long sealed off). He brought me home and showed me off to his wife and 18 children-I later learned that they weren't his either.

While living with Officer Joe and his pretty wife Mildred, I was forced to breed potatoes in jars. Nothing ever came of those potatoes and soon I was on the 23rd Street crosstown bus heading back to home. When the bus reached 9th Avenue, I got off and slowly walked down towards the projects. Grandfather was out front with a new boy who had replaced me while I was gone and he was grinning excitedly while holding up a bag of the biggest tastiest lima beans the world had ever seen. He'd grown them up on the roof.

Eventually, Grandfather welcomed me back into the apartment and the safety of our bed (we were poor, no shenanigans going on) although he rarely allowed me the family blanket ever again. The other boy, who had taken my place, went on to bigger and better things-perhaps you've heard of him, pehaps not.

As to me, I don't do gardening, just wanted to share this highly unlikely tale of my youth. (or is that Yoot?) (parts were real-grw lima beans, parts were not).

Guinea Pig

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
LOL @ fungal infection.

We are mid way thru Autumn ( Fall ) here. We have major water restrictions, so much so that I shower with buckets on the floor & water the garden with the run off.

I am a vegetarian, & I try & grow my own food, we are only allowed to water once a week using a hose, other times between 6 & 9 am & 6 & 9 pm with a bucket or watering can only.

I have had to reduce what I grow, I would love to plant Sunflowers, for the parrots & their beauty.

Many Australian natives are hardy, but not as attractive as the exotic northern flora.

Happy gardening you lucky guys & girls with ample rainfall.