Are you a girly girl?

Discussion in 'Women's Issues' started by naughty, Apr 18, 2005.

1. naughty

Gold Member

Hi Ladies ,

Have you ever been called a "girly girl"? The type that actually did play with Barbie inspite of being "free to be you and me?" Well ...I didnt play with dolls. but I did have a penchant for hats. Bretons were my particular weakness and mary janes .I still wear the grown up versions today. What do you do that marks you as a girly girl...

Naughty

2. Nienna

Nienna New Member

Well I was never a girly girl. I was the girl who always hung out with the boys on the street. Playing street hockey, football, dirt bikeing, nintendo, learning guitar, reading heavy metal mags, etc......I wore jeans every day ( I think the last time I wore a dress as a kid was like grade 1, and I didn't start again until after highschool lol).

And now since I've grown up, I am still one of the "guys" all my friends are 90% males......(honestly I find women rather catty so I tend to steer clear...no offense to any of you ladies, just been my personal experince) I am friends with all of the guys my husband works with, and not thier g/f's or wives. My best friend in the city is a male, and most of the people I am friends with at work are male, I get along better with my brother in law than I do with his wife. I like doing guy stuff like the above mentioned and don't sit around doing girly needle point or whatever like my sisters in law. I am out there with the kids playing games, go carting and makin mud pies lol. The only pink things I own, were gifts, that never leave the dresser drawer lol.

I do admit that the girly things I do are getting my nails done and and going to the hairdresser. But thats just a matter of looking nice :) and even if your not a girly girl, you wanna look good :)

on a side note, my daughter is a huge girly girl, She's five and everything she owns is pink and/or purple. She wears dresses ALL THE TIME, I can't even get her to wear jeans! If I am going out and am putting on make up she always asks for some, and I even catch her playing with the make up if she thinks i'm not around to catch her lol. She owns more barbies than Smithers has Malibu Stacies I'm sure. And don't even get me started on how many princess crowns she's owned.....

Payback I guess lol

3. Dr. Bubbles

Dr. Bubbles New Member

Well, it all depends on your definition of a "girly girl." In conceptual terms, yes, I would identify myself as a girly girl. I get a pedicure and manicure regularly. I love wearing really sophisicated and very sexy clothing. I still giggle, a lot and smile when guys flirt with me. I twist my hair and "act" bashful when flirting. I still have the "girls night out" syndrome going on, as my girlfriends and I are constantly going out (they have a lot of mannerisms like me). I still collect dolls, and yes, Barbie was my favorite! I own all the Native American Barbies that have been made (still have the boxes adn all accessories that go with them).

I am prissy. I am flirty. I am "girly." AND, I love it!

4. madame_zora

Gold Member

God, I'm so far on the opposite end of the spectrum here. I think I'm a "manly girl" if anything. I can shower, wash hair and put on makeup in a half hour! I never liked dolls, I was a tomboy as a teen and I've been a rock-n-roll chick since the 70's. Not too much girly here.

5. D_Barbi_Queue

D_Barbi_Queue Account Disabled

Same here. I've always been somewhat of a tom-boy and have only recently become more of the girly-girl. I grew up on a ranch in Texas and learned how to hang with the boys. My mom was the same too and still is.

6. naughty

Gold Member

Hi,

I think I am a hybrid. I always have had more male friends than female and have been told more than once that I think like a man( whatever does that mean?) I dress in a very eclectic artistic fashion most of the time.I have a lot of wearable art in my closet . My look is very vintage Betsy Johnson, full of whimsy! I wear makeup every once in a rare while and tend to be a dreamer of sorts. I love vintage everything! So I tend to look like something from "Out of Africa" during the summer months. I do love gracious activities like high tea and poetry readings but the poetry usually is anything but staid . I never recall playing house or dress up really I was probably out in the woods exploring with my best friend Tommy. I also generally dont primp or spend hours in the salon being pampered. So I guess I am a relatively good mix.

Naughty

7. summertime01

summertime01 New Member

Albums:
    Guess, I'm a mix, too. I was raised in rural america in a lower socioeconomic home on a farm & with two dolls. One was a regular babydoll & the other was a Barbie. My Dad made most of the few pieces of doll furniture that my Barbie had & I shared those pieces w/ my sister. I wore jeans all the time, except for going to church, and dresses were required for that. About the only past-time available was palying in the creek or riding horses, and I did that alot! My mother made most of our clothes so, did not clothes shop very often. But, I always like dressing up in & playing w/ my great-grandmoter's lacy curtains. I had two professional manicures while in college-too expensive when you are putting yourself thru!
    Now, in my adult years, last several, anyway since ex-husband left, I've treated myself to occasional guilt-free shopping trips. I had never shopped just for the enjoyment of shopping (not out of total necessity w/ a goal in mind) until about 4 years ago. (I;'m in my forties, mind you). I now get an occasional massage, visit the stylist,etc. And, I'm more of a sucker for a great pair of jeans than I am for a little black dress,etc. I have learned to appreciate & take care of my body. Guess, this is pretty long-winded. I view myself as eclectic. My wardrobe has a mix, conservative to basic long-wearing pieces that look great on me & my coloring, with some occasional fun things thrown in. I've had a great time in the past few years figuring out my own style.

8. summertime01

summertime01 New Member

Albums:
    P.S. I've also always had more guy friends & made friends easier w/ guys than girls. I view/ed girls as just oo catty. Never did get into the all 'ga-ga over some guy in school or movie-star' thing so, other girls kinda ignored me/looked at me strange or whatver. I think it made me into a more self-assured & independent woman who can think for herself.

9. BruceSter

BruceSter New Member

Hi girls,

after you all write wether you're girly or not, maybe you're interested in wether a guy likes 'girliness'. Of course, I can only tell from my own experience. I have a confession to make - I'm no big fan of girliness. I have always felt attraction from to either very earthy tomboy style girls, or by really classy ladies. Maybe that goes together with my young age. Another streak that I always like about a woman, and maybe that's the thing that draws me to the tomgirl is this air of a bad girl. There's no such thing on earth as the attraction I feel for real baddies.

There are some likable things about a girly girl, but I love the mature ingredients even more.

Bruce

10. madame_zora

Gold Member

I think I'm in love!

Seriously, IRL I find very few guys who don't want a girly girl. Perhaps it's a function of my generation though, so much media programming went into convincing us that women had to be skinny, big tits, blonde and stupid to be attractive. Maybe your generation has done better.

11. naughty

Gold Member

NO Jana,

Babe, he is a gem. Insight beyond his years. We just need to kidnap Brucester and clone his sexy self! LOL!

Naughty

12. BruceSter

BruceSter New Member

In this case you couldn't talk of kidnapping for two reasons:

1. I'm no kid any more,
    2. With you, I'd consent to follow you into that dark van with the tinted windows

Bruce

13. Altairion

Gold Member

Albums:
    Heh you got great style buddy. I've never been too into the girly-girl qualities myself. I like ladies that have an edge to them and an independence that'll give me a challenge in day to day life. I recently dated a girl that was too much of a pushover, and all that did was reinforce that it's not something I want for myself. Don't get me wrong though, girls are girls for a reason. I like to have that streak of 'girliness', but just don't let it turn into the persona of the vapid sorostitute population I see walking around on campus all too often.

14. BruceSter

BruceSter New Member

Yeah, a streak of girliness can be very fun, especially when it comes to flirting, and can be amusing every now and then, but I wouldn't want a girly girl around my place all day. Would challenge my patience.

For long, my ideal type of woman was the novel character of Susan Weber, from Nelson DeMille's "Up Country" (I can only recommend it - that book captured me, and if it can do that, it HAS to be great). She's the mixture of edginess and girliness that I prefer.

Now, I won't mention the third character feature that I have a weak spot for... gotta think over it, maybe gonna start another poll.
    Bruce

15. Dr. Bubbles

Dr. Bubbles New Member

hmmmm......

I have a question... when did being a "girly girl" become subordinate to male dominance? I think a girl can maintain that flair about her and equally be aggressive [assertive for those of you who prefer that word :p] and independent in many facets of socialization, education and of course, in the bedroom.

I am a girly girl. I am a flirt. In the same token, I am aggressive and go after what I want. I am independent, self motivated and in many regards, a risk taker. Coupled with these, what is done behind closed doors (HINT) is done behind closed doors.

I think it is rash to bend titles or labels of "girly girls" to those women who as passive, subordinate, etc. Trust me, women take on many different characteristics. Messing these stereotypical ideologies just breeds indifference, especially when not considering overall "traits" of these women.

I don't have .02 - so I will just give my $1 worth....

16. Duo187

Duo187 New Member

Albums:
    BB, you seem like a girl girl outwardly.. but inwardly.. O.O

shes a dirty girl...

I mean clean!! I didn't say dirty.. I said clean ^.^

17. Dr. Bubbles

Dr. Bubbles New Member

Well... yeah... maybe......

But you nor have another of the other guys I've chatted with ever complained. :p

18. lapdog2001

Gold Member

Albums:
    I think the 'girly girls' and tomboy girls of lpsg are all my kind of women! As bb explained, she is a girly girl but also very independent and goes after what she wants. I see those same traits in many (most!) of the women who post here. Whether you wear dresses all the time or just to church on Sunday, or never at all, it is your personality and how you carry yourself that makes you attractive to me.

If 100% of your life is dedicated to hair, clothes, and makeup, and there are no goals, ambitions, or dreams, then while the outside 'package' may be attractive, the overall woman leaves something to be desired. I'm equally happy with a woman who dresses up all the time, but gets 'down and dirty' when the situation calls for it, as well as the blue jeans and t-shirt gals that knock your socks off when they put on that little black dress.

I'm having a hard time expressing it, but it is what is upstairs and in her heart that affects her attractiveness beyond the physical beauty.

LapDog :9 :p :9

19. naughty

Gold Member

Lapdog,

That is why we love you! You have such good sense! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

naughty

20. naughty

Gold Member

Hi,

According to the Gender test Pecker posted I am officially though by a very close margin a girly girl! LOL!

Naughty

Draft saved Draft deleted