Are you a good tipper?

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
I am.

Take, for instance, the other evening when I dined with my son and his wife at a snotty, well-appointed restaurant downtown. When we'd all given our orders I reached into my pocket and put a shiny, new dime on the tablecloth and told the waiter that if he gave us really good service I'd double it.

He was rather rude, though, so I changed it to a nickel before leaving.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
Having worked a decade as a waiter I'm an OVERtipper.

I waited tables for 4 years during college - I over tip too - if the service is average or better. I tip whatever is expected if the service was bad but not offensive and I don't tip at all if the service was bad and offensive (but that's extremely rare - a waiter being busy does not equal bad service - they have to do something plain awful not to get average or better).

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I guess I am an okay tipper. I usually tip between 15% and 20%.
If the service is bad I still tip 15% but I also inform the manager what it was that was bad about the service.

Lucille Calls Police On B.B. King
Let me guess, he was picking on her too much. :tongue::biggrin1:

Sixofspades

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I always tip 20% because that's standard in the US, unless the service was really bad for some reason. If they forget to give me a refill or something, I'll still tip 20. But if they fuck up on the drink, food, and are slow and/or rude, I'll only leave a small tip. In Europe it's only 10%, so I always adjust for that too when I'm over there.

arliss

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I am.

Take, for instance, the other evening when I dined with my son and his wife at a snotty, well-appointed restaurant downtown. When we'd all given our orders I reached into my pocket and put a shiny, new dime on the tablecloth and told the waiter that if he gave us really good service I'd double it.

next time give him your business card......

Pecker
Co-Administrator of LPSG

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm a good tipper if I've had decent service, but if the waiter/waitress has been surly or not up to parr I don't tip. I also resent when there's a 10% service charge already added, it should be the customer's as to whether the service merited extra or not.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
If the service is splendid I over tip
If the service is good I tip 20%
If it's average 15%
If it's bad 10% (due to the fault of the waiter, not the kitchen or crowd of the room)
If it's horrible (rudeness etc) I talk to the manager or owner and there is no tip

jorpollew

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I dine out a lot and consider myself a pretty good tipper-- usually 20% or more.

If the service is really bad (which is rare), I'll still tip, but I will also make sure to complain to the manager. I would presume that a server would not want his/her manager to get a complaint. But if a server is bad, chances are that my complaint isn't the first.

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I am.

I read the title of the thread, saw who created it and thought to myself, "Pecker is an avowed conservative, he most likely never tips."

I didn't even need to read the post to know this...

Do you know that the federal government assumes that you gave him her a 10% tip?

Do you know that for every meal that a waiter or waitress serves that 10% of the total value of that meal is added to their gross earnings?

IF YOU DON'T TIP, YOU ARE STEALING FROM YOUR SERVERS... PLAIN AS SIMPLE...

IF YOU DON'T WANNA TIP, THEN EAT AT THE LOCAL BUFFET OR ORDER TAKE-OUT. THERE IS ALWAYS A FAST FOOD RESTAURANT AROUND THE CORNER FOR PEOPLE WHO DON'T BELIEVE IN TIPPING.

My grandfather doesn't tip worth a shit and I am always slipping the waiter or waitress cash so they don't end up shortchanged.

YOU NEED TO PRACTICE CONSERVATISM WITHIN IN YOUR OWN FAMILY AND LEAVE IT AT THE DOOR WHEN YOU ASSOCIATE WITH OTHER HUMANS. ACT LIKE YOU HAVE EMOTIONS AND DO THE RIGHT THING.

Rugbypup

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Ive never understood what and why Americans tip?

In the UK a tip is optional and usually only give when you recieve extremely good service, but 99.9% of the time, people dont tip and are not expected to either.

Why do you tip in America?

Arn't waiters and waitresses actually being paid to do the job anyways? It's a little rude to expect a tip for just doing your job.

It dosent make sense.

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I see a tip as a little extra for a little extra service - their job is bringing the meal promptly and making sure you've got what you want, it doesn't include the waiter smiling and being pleasant, that's what I tip for.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
In the UK a tip is optional and usually only give when you recieve extremely good service, but 99.9% of the time, people dont tip and are not expected to either.

Yes a tip is optional, the rest - not true.

Arn't waiters and waitresses actually being paid to do the job anyways? It's a little rude to expect a tip for just doing your job.

Often, in some US states no they're not. For some it's tips only.

It dosent make sense.

See above, hopefully it does now.:biggrin1:

Rugbypup

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Often, no they're not. Tips only.

Then, to be frank, thats not a job, is it. It's voluntery assistance or charity at worst.

If you work, have a job, you are paid for it, no?

To rely solely on the generosity of customers for your wages is a tad shocking for a 1st world country and honestly, it's wrong.