Are you a skinny "fat" person?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by luka82, Nov 18, 2010.

1. luka82

Gold Member

My aunt`s blood screening tests are back and her cholesterol and body fat are over the roof. That wouldn`t be suprising if she weren`t a really skinny 60 something woman. She is a beautiful, blonde woman with a perfect body. She looks 20 years younger, she really does.
    I was kinda shocked cause I expected her sugar level to be highish (genes), but it`s quite normal.
    When I asked her-WTF?
    She replied-I`m a skinny "fat" person!

2. D_Tim McGnaw

D_Tim McGnaw Account Disabled

Oh I see, Skinny-fat has a different meaning where I'm from, it means a guy or a girl who doesn't look overweight when they're clothes are on but when they take off their clothes they're out of shape so they have a small potbelly and underdeveloped everything else.

It's highly deceptive, especially on men...

3. slyman6

slyman6 New Member

she needs to see her doc about that cholesterol problem. Thin people can have high lipids (cholesterol & triglycerides)

4. luka82

Gold Member

I have literally translated it from Serbian. It made sense to me. :redface:

Oh, she has.
    She got everything LOW FAT to take. And she got some pills for her lipids in general.

My mother, on the other hand, is like twice and a half her size, and a little shorter. Her lipids are Ok.
    I guess it has a lot to do with what you eat than how much you eat.

5. D_Phil_R_Upp

D_Phil_R_Upp New Member

Really skinny people can have high cholesterol, diabetes, high blood pressure, etc. Even skinny nonsmokers can drop dead of a heart attack.

Larger people can have great blood pressure, great cholesterol, etc. and exercise every day.

We tend to think that everyone fits into one of two categories. (Just like so many people think sexuality is either completely straight or completely gay, with no variations in between). But the truth is that "healthy" for an individual will vary for every person. Doctors will usually tell you a "range" in terms of measurable numbers they'd like to see for that very reason.

6. EllieP

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    Beneath all this I'm skinny too! Take away the boobs, hips and butt and I'm Kate Moss!

Nope, never been accused of being skinny. Mum would tease me when I was a little girl that my bum would follow me around for the rest of my life. So far, she's right!

7. luka82

Gold Member

I also think it might have to do a lot with genetics.

I remember you had pics in your gallery once, you are a beautiful woman! Really beautiful.

8. B_subgirrl

B_subgirrl New Member

When my dad was rushed in for an emergency triple bypass and valve replacement, he was less than 10% body fat. He didn't drink or smoke.

He was later found to have very high cholesterol levels, and it certainly wasn't from food. He was on really high amounts of meds because they couldn't improve his diet any further - he already had an almost cholesterol free diet.

9. D_Sue Ellen Brastretcher

D_Sue Ellen Brastretcher Account Disabled

I weigh more than I should and other than that I am in perfect health. Every time I get my blood pressure taken it amazes people how low mine is.

10. b.c.

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yep....

11. simbasa12

simbasa12 New Member

Alcohol intake plays a big factor in triglycerides. Big hint there. Being in target weight is not a guarantee of anything. Death and taxes are pretty much it...

Draft saved Draft deleted