Are you a smoker?

B_Lightkeeper

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Or did you at one time and quit? I smoked for about 30 years and then quit.
Now I really have a hard time in bars or public areas where smoking is allowed. They always say reformed smokers are the worst to complain. I guess that is true.
You younger ones out there...if you haven't started smoking....DON'T!

D_Elijah_MorganWood

Expert Member
Media
Dirty Videophile said:
Now I really have a hard time in bars or public areas where smoking is allowed. They always say reformed smokers are the worst to complain. I guess that is true.

I'm off the cigs over 3 years now. I had 2 previous quits lasting 2 years each. On my good days they smell disgusting. On my bad days they smell good. Everyone in my family who smokes dies a slow, horrific death in their early 60's. The ones who don't usually live well into their 90's.

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I smoked from the time I was twenty-one (at university) until I was thirty-one.

My love and I stopped some years ago together. Vile habit from which I'm delighted to be free.

I smoke whacky tabacky on occasion and the hashish is great in Italy.

Sorcerer said:
Everyone in my family who smokes dies a slow, horrific death in their early 60's. The ones who don't usually live well into their 90's.

You're exactly right. That's been identically my own experience in my own family group.

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Dirty Videophile said:
Im a smoker. I dont know where you live,but in New jersey you cant smoke anywhere. I wouldnt smoke around non smokers. Its not right.:cool:

D_Elijah_MorganWood

Expert Member
Media
I want to clarify one thing: although I don't smoke anymore, I will stand up for someone else's right to do it (as long as it doesn't infringe on the rights of others).

Some Southern California beaches are now completely smoke free which I find ludicrous.

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
My partner and I stopped smoking a couple of years ago and saved the money we would usually spend on cigarettes each week. They are very expensive in the UK (over £5 a pack of 20) so after a few months we used the money to go on a cruise. Unfortunately we bought some duty free cigarettes on the cruise and started again - really stupid I know.

We both need to seriously do something about stopping again for good this time. Any advice?

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Daverock said:
My partner and I stopped smoking a couple of years ago and saved the money we would usually spend on cigarettes each week. They are very expensive in the UK (over £5 a pack of 20) so after a few months we used the money to go on a cruise. Unfortunately we bought some duty free cigarettes on the cruise and started again - really stupid I know.

We both need to seriously do something about stopping again for good this time. Any advice?

Yes.

Set a date and give yourself a time frame to gear up. I had only one false stop before we quit for good.

And Sorcerer?

I'm with you 100% on the rights of others thingy. There's nothing worse than a reformed anything. :rolleyes: However, the smoking thing in Europe is beyond offensive. There's simply no reason for people to smoke in restaurants in my opinion.

ManiacalMadMan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Stopped smoking 8 years ago and am one of those who is completely unbothered by the smoke from other peoples cigarettes. If they choose to suck the death sticks that's their business and I make no comments to them on it

D_Elijah_MorganWood

Expert Member
Media
Daverock said:

Exercise. It's hard to do cardio with a Salem 100 in your hand. This last time:
1. I slapped on a patch
2. Guzzled water
3. Exiled myself to the gym. Lots of cardio and weight training.
Not only did I stop smoking, I packed on 10 pounds of muscle and went down a pants size.
4. I threw away ALL smoking related paraphenalia (even my cool vintage ashtrays and antique lighters)
5. I avoided smoking triggers. I learned this in a behavior mod class I took for a previous quit. For me they were talking on the phone, breaks at work, after work...I have many.
6. Don't expect support from your friends who smoke, they will even sabatoge your quit. This includes your partner if he chooses to start back.
7. Take it one day at a time (my lesson from AA). "I'm not gonna smoke today, tomorrow I can have one". The next day you do the same.

quitnet.com helped me a lot. Here are my quit stats:
My Stats:
Your Quit Date is: 2/15/2003 10:00:00 AM

Smoke-Free: 1313 days, 5 hours, 36 minutes and 56 seconds
Is this still your
Med Plan? Yes No Cigarettes NOT smoked: 32831

Saved: 8 months, 10 days, 19 hours

Saved: $7,221.50

Sam1070

Experimental Member
Media
I do not smoke. Never have. But, as stated, I would defend one's right to smoke, but not around others who might be affected/offended by it. In my travels, Europe is smoke-crazy, but some parts of the world are worse. Asiatic Russia, and the PRC, for example.

Mumzi

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
We don't smoke, never have. But my parents do (still) and so did his, but they did quit.

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
I started smoking when I was able to buy my own, at 16. By the time I quit I was going through about 2½ packs of Winstons a day. When I decided to stop I just put them down and never looked back. That was 35½ years ago.

*cough*

mephistopheles

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
I'm a smoker, been smoking for a few years. I know a few ppl, or new rather, that died from smoking, and it doesn't bother me. People die everyday, it won't be anything special when I die, just 1 of billions.

"Life fast, Die Fast, Don't worry about the crash."
-GG Allin

jfrsndvs

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
yes I will admit that I am a smoker, I started at the age of 15, I did quit once, but the job I was working at the time was very stressful and I started back up once again, yes one of these days I will try to quit again.

if I am at a non-smokers home or in their vehicle, I certainly will not smoke out of courtesy towards the non-smoker, there was one time that one of my brothers was at my house, I lit up, and he started waving the booger fan, and told me to put it out, I let him know real quick, that he was in MY house, and if I want to smoke, I will do so, I respect him enough not to smoke in his house, but nobody will tell me that I can not smoke in my own house or vehicle, but I will make the request of other smokers who visit not to throw their cigarette butts in my yard or driveway, I have a small can right outside the door if they want to throw it in there.

I have never reached the 2½ pack limt, I have always smoked 1 pack a day, there are times that I have opened a second pack within the one day, but never got ½ the second pack smoked though.

I do recommend those who have not started to not start, but if I am in a area where smoking is allowed, don't start waving the booger fan at me, go to a non smoking area.

Irvy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
My partner and I both smoke, and we are doing the steretypical thing of saying how much we both want to quit smoking... and then lighting up a cig.

I managed to quit for a month last year (wow, a whole month, look at me!), but then started back in.

I didn't use patches or anything, just will power, and then once the immediacy of it passed, and I had lost the really bad cravings, I think I just got bored of it and started again.

must quit. must guit. must quit.

D_Elijah_MorganWood

Expert Member
Media
hootie said:
I knew a man that died recently from sinus cancer. He smoked and his whole nose rotted off. You just saw open sinus passages. That poor man. :(

The same thing happened to my grandfather but it was his throat. He died at 63 a rich, successful man. That was 1970 and the family is still spending his money. It was a slow, agonizing death.

B_Lightkeeper

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Besides health, the environment is another reason. Many smokers throw cigarettes out their auto windows, down on the ground and on parking lots outside stores.
When I was in military basic training, I was taught to "field strip" and put the filter end in my pocket until I could dispose of it properly.
I enjoy camping and can't believe the cigarette butts thrown down at camground sites. I wonder if these smokers do the same around their house?