Are you a terrorist?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by 420funny69, Dec 21, 2010.

1. 420funny69

420funny69 Member

2. Jason

Gold Member

The UK also has a long history of dealing with home-grown terrorism in Northern Ireland, including giving emergency powers to the police in Northern Ireland. A result has been that the NI generation that grew up during the troubles have learnt not to attract attention to themselves. If you've been through Belfast and been stopped several times by the police/security anyway you don't want to be the one they decide to stop yet again - it is just too much hastle. People went out of their way to blend in. To an extent it is still true.

I suspect that the present terrorism threat will provoke ever-more and more intrusive security (think airports) and we might again see the culture of blending in. Perversely in such a society the ones that blend in best of all are the terrorists. The terrorist is Mr Ordinary - the guy you wouldn't look twice at in a crowd and whose name you would forget two minutes after being introduced.

3. BIG_DAVE

BIG_DAVE Active Member

Albums:
    I think you'll find Ireland has delt with british terrorists for over 800 years.

Which are now illegal due to the fact they were so intrusive and misused by occupying forces.

By generation you mean a generation of Irish nationalists. british Protestants never were and are still not subjected to the same intrusive harrasment by occupying british forces.

Of course they did, You've no idea the level of disruption the average nationalist in occupied Ireland will go through on a daily basis. However going by the rest of your posts, I'm sure you'll be able to tell me you do as you went to derry once.

Wow, for the first time I've seen you make an somewhat accurate point. Well done.

Another point to make is the word terrorist is such a shite word. Growing up in the occupied 6 counties of Ireland I saw many acts of terrorism by the british army. They kill unarmed civillians and they said mistakes were made yet an IRA volenteer kills armed soliders protecting his or her community and it's terrorism.

4. ManofThunder

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I don't mean to sound pompous or a snob, but that article was totally discredited as soon as I saw mention of Alex Jones. He has some interesting points and has been right on some occasions, but on the whole he is just paranoid in my opinion.

5. 420funny69

420funny69 Member

Did you watch the CNN clip?

As far as Alex Jones goes... he is wacky sometimes. But some makes sense. Hr broke the TSA stories 2 weeks before anyone in the mainstream media did

6. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

Alex Jones is crazy as a bed bug.

7. MoneyForNothing

Albums:
    I tried. I'm not terrifying enough.

8. COMountainGuy

COMountainGuy Member

I wish you were right about Mr Jones. I've known some government agents in my day and they pretty well concur that there is a lot of truth on his site.

Jones contends that the war on terrorism is a war on freedom. I will have to agree with that 100%.

However I will partially agree in that he does seem to go overboard at times.

Time will tell..........

9. Pompeynate

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Wow. So you actually don't think the IRA are/were terrorists??!?

What would you class as planting bombs that kill many dozens of innocent men, women & children then???? :confused:

10. ManofThunder

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I did watch the clip. Much of the American mainstream is bound by some sort of twisted loyalty to the government. (Other countries too, but prominently the US.) The secondary media serves a great purpose in this regard. I am no expert on Jones but do know that he does speak the truth sometimes. However, much of his ideas involve conspiracy theories with no merit at all. Regarding the issue at hand, I think that it is a serious problem, as the high-tech world continues to flourish, these sort of issues will arise. 'High-tech spying' is dangerous but in the end, I think that the public won't stand for it and it will resolve itself, afterall, it is only so long before someone in power is on the bad end of the spying and forces change (just my opinion) :smile:.

To some degree he is correct that the 'war on terrorism' is a war on freedom but that doesn't mean he is completely correct on everything and the 'war' is totally bad. Most if not all of his conspiracy theories are just silly to be frank.

11. mwealex

mwealex New Member

Hmmm,...whom invaded whom? Remember the old English law that an Irish girl that was a virgin had to have sex with a Brit right before her marriage? I believe it had to be a town head or official. That is just an example of what they went through.

Before calling the IRA terrorist we should take a look at history to see how the situation got to where it's at.

12. COMountainGuy

COMountainGuy Member

Nobody is correct on everything....not even close. Which of his theories are silly? I peruse his site a couple times/month. I'm no expert.

I know he goes overboard at times. What journalistic publication, or other news source, does not?

13. ManofThunder

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I agree that nobody is perfect. I can't remember all the details, but I remember he believed in a conspiracy theory which essentially meant that the government were performing 'population control' through the use of vaccines. He claimed that they were giving people cancer with these vaccines to kill them and keep the numbers of people down. Another is a hatred/fear of royalty. Although there is nothing wrong with that, he genuinely believes that Queen Elizabeth and her family are Nazis and secretly control everyone though a 'Pyramid of Power' alongside many others. These people do have power but nothing near the level of power he claims. These claims make me think twice about everything else he says and question the truth behind his words.

14. Pompeynate

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Err what century are you getting that from? I'm pretty sure people all over the world used to do some pretty horrible things to neighbouring countries, do you think children deserve to be killed by IRA bombs for things that happened hundreds of years before?!? Weird...

And yes the IRA are terrorists, of course they are & anyone who suggests otherwise seriously needs their heads (& their morals) examining...

I suppose Osama Bin Laden is just misunderstood too... :rolleyes:

15. mwealex

mwealex New Member

Do you know anything about history, at all? The English have occupied Ireland in some form of fashion since around 1175 and gained more or less full control of the country in 1603 and have been there ever since. They are viewed as an invader. Would we not fight against a foreign invader in the US?

Killing children is wrong but there is a BIG difference between a terrorist and people trying to regain their freedom. Go learn something for a change and try to understand the difference between Bin Laden and someone like William Wallace.

16. Pompeynate

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I take it you are either Irish, American or thick? (Possibly a mix of all three) Of course I know the history, hence I mentioned of events that happened HUNDREDS of years ago! Countries ALL OVER THE WORLD were invading each other back then & claiming countries as their own, obviously that isn't right, but it was a LOOOOOOOONG time ago, do you honestly think that people living now (who have nothing whatsoever to do with any of those past atrocities) deserve to be punished for things that happened HUNDREDS of years ago?!? Wow...

You need to learn a few things, the IRA ARE terrorists. End Of.

Should every other country in the world that has been invaded by another country decide to blow those up that previously invaded them then? Would be like Iraq the world over. Your views are very typical of an uneducated IRA sympathising American who really knows bugger all about what has happened in the UK due to the IRA over the past few decades, we are very aware that our American "friends" were helping to fund them, out of some bizarre form of misplaced loyalty...

Funny how as soon as terrorism hit the US they started to give a rats, when we in the UK were living with terrorism for years, with innocent people being regularly killed & our lives disrupted with countless bomb threats...

I'm actually astounded & a little concerned that there are even poeple like you about in this day & age, who excuse shocking behaviour like that. Shame on you.

17. mwealex

mwealex New Member

Not excusing the behavior at all, learn to read and take time to understand what it being said. I do not believe or agree in killing children in the name of a political cause, never. As far as thick goes it sounds like you have cultural retardation that causes you to justify what has been done in Ireland so you must be English, since you seem to be keen on trying to make a position geocentric.

It's funny how the IRA are terrorist because they want their country back, once again it must be cultural retardation on your part to agree with how they have been treated. As for the other countries/history you've mentioned, yes that has happened ans yes people will always fight to remove whom they view as an invader. That is not a justification of the tactics used, it's just they way it is.

What I find interesting, guess it's more cultural indoctrination for you, is that you see no problem with a people having their country taken from them but have a huge apparent issue if they fight back. I bet you'd feel differently if you were Irish. That is where you should be ashamed. It's always funny how cultural beliefs are skewed based on which side of the pointed stick you're standing.

18. BIG_DAVE

BIG_DAVE Active Member

Albums:

What would YOU class an army in another country shooting unarmed men women and childeren dead then? every action has a reaction, dont be so foolish to think the IRA just turned up one day and started planting bombs.

The first bomb planted was by british paramilitarys the same people who killed the first of the british security forces.

or are we just to take it your yet another daily mail reader?......

19. COMountainGuy

COMountainGuy Member

How many people have studied terrorism enough to know that the Israeli Irgun introduced terrorism to the ME by getting on buses with a bomb in their back pack.....back in the 40's?

One countries terrorist is anothers patriot.

20. 123scotty

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    i am honestly like shocked. ira is not terrorists. yes they were and backed up by american money being sent. and yes it is a tad annoying when the loved ones of people in pubs and shops blown up in the 70s — 8os by the ira. the acid bottles being thrown. it must be comforting to know someone can justify this by saying they just wanted their country back. or for something that happened hundreds of years ago. the people who were killed and injured had nothing to do with ireland the were just targets of terror. were you any where near when bombs were going off. its quite different when it happens on your own ground. now theres a war on terror.

Draft saved Draft deleted