Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
GoneA said:
although that's not so bad, because when i travel south they never know what the heck i'm talking about and dismiss my 'northern accent' as undecipherable and unlearned. :biggrin1::tongue:

Depending on where a person lives in the north, I do have a hard time understanding their speech patterns. Parts of Brooklyn, Queens, northern NJ can be all but undecipherable to my ears. It's a combination of the accent and the rat-a-tat-tat quickness of the speech patterns. Down here, we tend to draw out our words and make short words have 14 syllables. LOL:biggrin1:

D_alex8

Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
"31% Dixie. You are definitely a Yankee."

If they say so :rolleyes: ... I rather think my passport says otherwise, though.

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I'm 29% Dixie due to being college educated on certain things. I am a Yankee Doodle Dandy Andy! But I am black, live in North Carolina, love southern cajun fried chicken, grits with butter , cheese and Tony Chachare's Spices and Herbs Seasonings, and listen to Stax soul records (Yeah, I actually own a turntable!). I even play a Fender Telecaster guitar. I believe that Steve Cropper is THE guitar man for R&B soul guitar playing...hands down. How Southern can you get? So, I believe that tips me over towards more of a rebel "high" yell-er. I really would like to be both a Yankee and a Rebel.There are advantages and disadvantages for both. I love the South--the country, the people, and the ambience even though some in the South don't like me for being black( "Niger" or "Nigrah" ( racists spell this in the South), gay ("Fagit!" how Southern homophobes spell it), and/or invisible ("Ghost!" or "Spook"--how Southern invisiphobes dub me). Hehehe. I like the Northerners. Because they are drastically different than Southerns and I just like that. I like people generally.

novice_btm

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Rikter8 said:
71% Yankee Doodle Dandy

I got a hoot out of the Great Lakes ones.
TP'ing, Pop, and Devils Night - So True

79% Yankee Doodle Dandy.

I laughed out loud when I read "Devil's Night - Specific to Michigan!" :biggrin1:

novice_btm

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
alex8 said:
"31% Dixie. You are definitely a Yankee."

If they say so :rolleyes: ... I rather think my passport says otherwise, though.
Well, most "standard" American English, is northern midwestern (linguists say that Indiana had the most "standard" accent). So, if you're influenced by Amer. movies and TV, you wouldn't be exposed as much to southern speech. Actually, the most hysterical "American" accent I ever heard, was a Swedish girl that studied English in Atlanta, Georgia.

Shelby

Experimental Member
Media
In my experience the south may be overtly more racist than the north but actually more egalitarian. Northerners put up a front so as not to seem politically incorrect.

The most racist city I've spent time in is Boston.​

Matthew

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
novice_btm said:
Well, most "standard" American English, is northern midwestern
That's the lie they tell us when we're raised up there (Wisconsin here). When I got back from my first semester of grad school in North Carolina and turned on the TV in Madison, the weatherman's Norsky accent had me in stitches. My roomates used to save my mother's voice messages to play them back and laaaaaugh.

I'm a yankee and a rebel.

D_alex8

Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
novice_btm said:
Well, most "standard" American English, is northern midwestern (linguists say that Indiana had the most "standard" accent). So, if you're influenced by Amer. movies and TV, you wouldn't be exposed as much to southern speech. Actually, the most hysterical "American" accent I ever heard, was a Swedish girl that studied English in Atlanta, Georgia.

*gasp* --- I'll have you know that my accent in English is thoroughly British, thank you very much! :biggrin1: ...as I've said to a couple of people on this board before, if I start trying to do an American accent, within 3 sentences I sound like I should be serving baloney in a New York downtown deli. :rolleyes:

RideRocket

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
alex8 said:
*gasp* --- I'll have you know that my accent in English is thoroughly British, thank you very much! :biggrin1: ...as I've said to a couple of people on this board before, if I start trying to do an American accent, within 3 sentences I sound like I should be serving baloney in a New York downtown deli. :rolleyes:

I think that's because most English taught in the German schools is actually 'British English', not American. Most of my relatives have a british 'twang' to their German accent when speaking English.