Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
windtalkerways said:
It's the same with French in Quebec,
compared to the French they speak
in France. They are not the same.

The Québecois is a lot more radical regarding anglicisms. The french usually are fine with taking english words, pronouncing them in french, and then telling everyone those are french words:

weekend - le weekend
parking [bay] - le parking
camping site - le camping

The contrary is true in Quebec, where they correctly call the weekend le fin de la semaine. Also, they have a much stronger movement to cleanse their language of any anglicism.

D_alex8

Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
RideRocket said:
I think that's because most English taught in the German schools is actually 'British English', not American. Most of my relatives have a british 'twang' to their German accent when speaking English.

I put it down to 7 years in Britain, personally. :rolleyes:

novice_btm

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Matthew said:
That's the lie they tell us when we're raised up there (Wisconsin here). When I got back from my first semester of grad school in North Carolina and turned on the TV in Madison, the weatherman's Norsky accent had me in stitches. My roomates used to save my mother's voice messages to play them back and laaaaaugh.

I'm a yankee and a rebel.
I was refering to the Indiana accent (northern, as opposed to the other Neb., Kan. types). Cheesehead accents don't count, doncha know? :wink: Hey, i do the same, playing my mother's messages for my friends here in L.A. The stranger part was growing up, my sister's friends all asked why *I* had an accent and she didn't.

prepstudinsc

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
alex8 said:
I put it down to 7 years in Britain, personally. :rolleyes:
I wondered if you had gone to school there or worked there.
I know an Italian girl who worked in London for a while. When she speaks English, she speaks it with a British accent and because of her light complection and blonde hair, she looks the part, too. I find it funny when she goes back and forth between the two languages. It's too bad that people in the US are so Anglocentric with our speaking and are only semi-fluent with English.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Yes, some of my Indian friends speak with a decidedly Brittish-English flavor, it's actually very beautiful to hear an Indian with a sing-song voice speaking such perfect grammar.

Chuck64

Experimental Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
madame_zora said:
Yes, some of my Indian friends speak with a decidedly Brittish-English flavor, it's actually very beautiful to hear an Indian with a sing-song voice speaking such perfect grammar.

And then there are several of my college professors who have either lowered the pitch of their voice or speak in a monotone "to sound more American," thereby making it impossible to understand what they're saying through the thick accent. One of the students made a comment to one of them (my degree plan advisor) about it. He stopped doing it and several students have commented that he's easier to understand. He's still an odd little PhD comp. sci. geek, but he does have a nice voice.

sexycobra

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
No Response
ClaireTalon said:
The Québecois is a lot more radical regarding anglicisms. The french usually are fine with taking english words, pronouncing them in french, and then telling everyone those are french words:

weekend - le weekend
parking [bay] - le parking
camping site - le camping

The contrary is true in Quebec, where they correctly call the weekend le fin de la semaine. Also, they have a much stronger movement to cleanse their language of any anglicism.

Been to Quebec by any chance?:wink:

Also, they have a much stronger movement to cleanse their language of any anglicism

Well, it's not like we have a choice, being surrounded by English-speaking provinces and states. It's a matter of linguistic survival. In Canadian provinces outside of Quebec, the number of people who claim French as their mother tongue is dwindling very rapidly with each passing generation.

jakeatolla

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Chuck64 said:
I predict we'll annex Canada before 2030, just to strip those homos of their rights...

We kicked your ass before in the war of 1812, and we'll do again.
And then we'll apologize for doing it.:biggrin1:

chico8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
21% Dixie. I wonder why, because there isn't an ounce of southern blood or background in me and for that I thank my lucky stars.

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
48% Barely in Yankeedom. From Pennsylvania originally, grew up in the South (Florida), parents Father from KY, Mom from NY. I thought everyone from Florida was just vactioning from the Northeast, that or going to a NASCAR race in Daytona from the Southeastern area ?

T

that_other_guy

36% Dixie. You are definitely a Yankee.

funny ... i've lived in South Carolina my entire life :rolleyes: