Are you actually making the world a better place?

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
If so, how?

If not, do you think you should? but if not, why not?

Yes. C'mere and I'll show you. :wink::tongue:

Serious answer - no, probably not. My carbon emissions in the last few weeks alone (though not as bad as yours I'm sure :tongue:) probably made small children cry somewhere in the (not so) frozen north.

Should I? Well - probably. And thereore the last question does not apply. :confused: I think...

pronatalist

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I make the world a better place, by, among other things, being a pronatalist.

By promoting positive can-do attitude about rising human populations, it helps insure that everybody can have their place, and that people get along and adapt better.

I don't donate blood though, although it would seem an obvious "pro-life" thing to do, because medical costs and insurance are way overpriced, and why should I donate for free, for them to turn around and price-gouge the person who gets my blood? Either reduce the costs, or pay me for my time. My "charity" need not be greedy overcharging corporations.

I don't worry about "carbon footprint," because that's all lies of the enviro-wackos. Nature isn't having a problem with "carbon sequestering," or whatever nonsense. Actually, I agree with China in building 1000 or more coal-burning electricity plants, because they have a huge population to accomodate, and the working poor need affordable electricity.

Oh, here's an article to back up my view on this, that we need to develop all economically viable sources of energy, apparently including coal, at least for the time-being.

The truth about “alternative energy”

pronatalist

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You don't give blood because the price is too high at the other end?

I want to donate blood to those who need it, not to some greedy corporation that has lots more money than I do. I think they are profiteering off of the gullible. And until somebody gets their act together and finally truly reforms some of these problems, I don't want to be part of the (corrupt) process.

We don't get upset and protest enough about the injustices around us.

Aren't a lot of hospitals, named something or other for their Christian roots? Some Christians started them? But back then, they were more affordable. Now how much do they charge, for a bandaid?

Media
I want to donate blood to those who need it, not to some greedy corporation that has lots more money than I do. I think they are profiteering off of the gullible. And until somebody gets their act together and finally truly reforms some of these problems, I don't want to be part of the (corrupt) process.

We don't get upset and protest enough about the injustices around us.

Aren't a lot of hospitals, named something or other for their Christian roots? Some Christians started them? But back then, they were more affordable. Now how much do they charge, for a bandaid?

If you are waiting for the world to become a just and righteous place before you start giving back, then you will die a frustrated and sick old man. Being a part of the healthcare system for over 20 years I see a lot of faults. But at least it is a system, and it is better than nothing. Unfortunately, I cannot give blood anymore. If you want to be selfish about it, then know that when you need blood yourself, you get it at a discount or free, depending on where you live, if you are a donor.

I helped take care of a gentleman the other day who had a severe GI bleed. SEVERE! He almost died from it. Fortunately, someone had not thought only of themselves, but gave a few minutes to donate blood. The blood he received ensured that patient that he will see his children this Christmas. That is worth the cost! If everyone thought your way, then his children would be visiting his grave this Christmas. Which is better? You decide.

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm probably not doing enough. Financially I can't do a whole lot right now. I guess I could give blood, and I'm the universal donor blood type so they'd love to see me, but I have tiny veins that move, and they may have trouble getting blood from me. I am unable to donate/sell plasma for this reason (I was looking into that because basically I'm pretty much broke, not for altruistic reasons). I did manage to donate a few cans of food to the food bank, and I've done a little bit of volunteer work (basically one day) with the homeless though.

pronatalist

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Re: Well I can't wait until "hell freezes over" to give, right?

If you are waiting for the world to become a just and righteous place before you start giving back, then you will die a frustrated and sick old man. Being a part of the healthcare system for over 20 years I see a lot of faults. But at least it is a system, and it is better than nothing. Unfortunately, I cannot give blood anymore. If you want to be selfish about it, then know that when you need blood yourself, you get it at a discount or free, depending on where you live, if you are a donor.

I helped take care of a gentleman the other day who had a severe GI bleed. SEVERE! He almost died from it. Fortunately, someone had not thought only of themselves, but gave a few minutes to donate blood. The blood he received ensured that patient that he will see his children this Christmas. That is worth the cost! If everyone thought your way, then his children would be visiting his grave this Christmas. Which is better? You decide.

Well of course I give, but givers can pick their worthy charities. I disagree with the Red Cross, or whatever, just assuming themselves to be a worthy charity. I contribute to the local Walk For Life, but that is pretty much all volunteers, not some huge profiteering medical industry.

They try to give us that sad story, that they are about to run out of blood. To sucker in the gullible. Nonsense. Maybe in some sudden "emergency" or war battlefield scenario, but they always get the blood they need. If they didn't, they would start paying out $ to get blood. Blood plasma pays $, because they couldn't get people to donate twice a week otherwise. I donated blood plasma for a while, while in between jobs, because somebody at my old home Church worked there, and helped give me a good impression of it. But when I started working elsewhere, I quit, because how many places can you work a job, and get a check, the very same day? Not enough places. And so I thought since I was gainfully employed, why bid down the paying rate, for the people who really need it? People need more ways to make money.

I am sure there are good people who work in the medical industry, and I am not saying that they can reasonably leave. But there are some bad CEOs or something, making bad decisions, or something rotten with the whole system.

If everybody thought my way, then the crummy system would be reformed. But there's too many enablers, too lazy to even complain or question what's wrong with it.

BTW, I just bought the DVD documentary "SICKO." A scathing description of something wrong with the medical system. Do you think that Michael Moore will be his usual lunatic self? But then if "don't want to get their hands dirty" conservatives don't want to talk about a broken/corrupt system, who then shall I listen to? Did I see a thread about there around here somewhere? Does Michael Moore really think that Cuba has a great system, and that it wasn't just a photo-op?

Love-it

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
My carbon footprint is very low, I give blood, I take food to the old lady a few doors down, they're only small things but small things add up.

If everybody felt and acted the same way that you do the world would be a much better place. Pass it on.

I do what I can when I can and donate locally so I know where the little bits of money that I can spare go.

simcha

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Yeah, I think so. Sometimes I'm not entirely sure... My intentions are good. But you know what they say about intentions and how they are used to pave the way to a certain hot place.

D_Hairy Reed

Experimental Member
Media
I make the world a better place, by, among other things, being a pronatalist.

I don't worry about "carbon footprint," because that's all lies of the enviro-wackos. Nature isn't having a problem with "carbon sequestering," or whatever nonsense. Actually, I agree with China in building 1000 or more coal-burning electricity plants, because they have a huge population to accomodate, and the working poor need affordable electricity.

It really worries me to see people follow such misguided and deluded lives. People who write stuff like above are totally missing the big picture, hiding their heads in the sand. I compare it to Nazi Germany, when the common people said they didn't 'know' that Jews were being killed or refused to believe it. Ignorance is evil.

Not with me - I am not going to stand by waiting for the world to go down. Here's what I do - what everyone can do:

1. Bought energy-saving bulbs to replace those lamps I use most.
2. Unplug any appliances not in use to save 'stand-by-consumption.'
3. Switch to 'green electricity suppliers' (my electricity comes from wind and solar energy).
4. Stopped using the car - take public transport, trains, walk whenever I can
5. Reduce my garbage by separating garbage.
6. Reuse stuff (especially plastic) as often as I can.
7. Insist on lesser packaging.
8. Take old paper back for recycling.

The 'comfort lifestyle' people the West has gotten used to is creating criminal damage for those people around the world who have very few of those comforts. It kills me to see entire islands disappearing off the face of Earth because consumerist pigs like pronatalist are incapable of understanding reality and hold to false beliefs.

sweatyblackballs

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Here in England there is the beginning of an epidemic. To date in 2007, 26 young black men have been murdered senselessly, mostly in our Capital - London. I am living in a borough of London that is at the heart of much of these conflicts, which are borne of drugs, poverty, unemployment, broken homes and failing education. I do not think there is much I can do on a national scale. I simply do not have the power. There is not much the Government hasn't tried to do without constantly facing failure. I think it is my duty as a young person, a young man and a black man to invest in young people of all races. Young people hold the key to the changes that the future has to necessitate unless we want to become extinct. It is difficult. Young people do not see any way out of the high-rise tenements and their social unrest; their circumstances are overwhelming them and I just do what I can to invest in them. Encouraging them to find themselves amongst all of this. I do not believe that our social circumstance should define us. I believe it is important to fight against it and find something, anything positive and bring that to the forefront within us. I teach a great deal. I offer guidance where I can because I want the epidemic to die out before it has the opportunity to escalate ...