Are you afraid of General Anesthesia?

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
My mother has to get a cataract operation and needs to be put under for it. We don't have the date set yet but my father is very worried for my mother and said he did not get any sleep last night because they went to the eye doctor yesterday.

I tried to assure him that an anesthesiologist will know what to do and how much to administer.

I'm not worried at all, I don't think my mother is either.

My sister was worried when she had to be put out for a laparoscopic gall bladder operation. I knew she'd be fine, and she was.

Does Anesthesia scare you?

got_lost

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I know it's irrational cos yes, the anaesthetists do know what they're doing, but yes! I dread the day when I need one! :redface:

And I'm sure, too, that your Mom will be fine.
Give your Dad a hug though... he needs reassurance, bless him!

canuck_pa

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I've only been under a general once and there was no problem. If fact is was very pleasant with wonderful wild dreams.

I know problems happen but its so rare. Do you think your father would feel better if he spoke to the doctor about his concern?

klyn67

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Mem, I have underwent general anesthesia twice in the last 3 months (for colon surgery and gallbladder surgery), and Versed for a minor procedure. I would be sure to ask the anesthesiologist to make sure they put something in there for nausea. It can realllllly make you sick when you wake up in recovery, if they don't put medicine into the anesthesia for nausea. Just a tip. :)

Last edited:

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I know it's irrational cos yes, the anaesthetists do know what they're doing, but yes! I dread the day when I need one! :redface:

And I'm sure, too, that your Mom will be fine.
Give your Dad a hug though... he needs reassurance, bless him!

Thanks, I'm sure she will be fine too (if I had 1300 mile long arms I would hug him). :wink:

I've only been under a general once and there was no problem. If fact is was very pleasant with wonderful wild dreams.

Do you think your father would feel better if he spoke to the doctor about his concern?

I hope so, anyway they have to get approval from her primary physician first to go ahead with it.

Gl3nn

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I don't like it at all, but I'm not scared of it.

I've been under a couple of times and it's ok.
I hate the feeling when you fall asleep, a kind of headache. And when you wake up you want to be awake, but you're only partly awake and it's really annoying.

But scared? No.

B_cigarbabe

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
No Mem, I'm not usually afraid but perhaps folks should be.
I had surgery on Monday 19th, and when I got to the O.R. waiting room here comes the anesthesiologist I had removed from my surgery last year. This guy was wholly unable to insert an I.V. in me at all. Granted I'm hard to stick but that should make you determined to be precise not keep jabbing away every damn where!
I offered my help and he didn't want it even though he knows I draw my own blood and insert my I.V.'s. He got mad because I didn't want him to put in a central line after he failed miserably and "blew me up" all over.
Ask the "Board of Medicine" in your state about your doctors past history for info on malpractice pay-outs over the past ten years. You can't ever know enough.
My ex husband is a "med-mal" attorney and I can't stress enough the importance of really knowing your doctors.
Best wishes to your family on the upcoming surgeries Mem.
I shall pray for their speedy recovery.
cigarbabe:saevil:

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Mem, I have underwent general anesthesia twice in the last 3 months (for colon surgery and gallbladder surgery), and Versed for a minor procedure. I would be sure to ask the anesthesiologist to make sure they put something in there for nausea. It can realllllly make you sick when you wake up in recovery, if they don't put medicine into the anesthesia for nausea. Just a tip. :)

Okay I will tell them to mention that to the doctor.

Best wishes to your family on the upcoming surgeries Mem.
I shall pray for their speedy recovery.
cigarbabe:saevil:

Thanks.

cockoloco

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I've never been under general anesthesia but I'm not afraid if I had to.
I wish you all the best and send you lots of positive thoughts. She'll be great and will recover i no time, you'll see.

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I'm a tad confused.......I'm an RN and people going for cataract surgery as a rule DON'T have General Anesthesia.........they have "conscious sedation", a far less risky way to go.....they'll need her to keep her eyes open, cataract surgery is really fast.
That being said, discuss ANY fears you may ave with the anesthesiologist BEFORE surgery. It is common practice for the anesthesiologist to "meet" the patient prior to surgery. Have him explain any risk involved. Make sure you truly do get "Informed consent".

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I'm a tad confused.......I'm an RN and people going for cataract surgery as a rule DON'T have General Anesthesia.........they have "conscious sedation", a far less risky way to go.....they'll need her to keep her eyes open, cataract surgery is really fast.
That being said, discuss ANY fears you may ave with the anesthesiologist BEFORE surgery. It is common practice for the anesthesiologist to "meet" the patient prior to surgery. Have him explain any risk involved. Make sure you truly do get "Informed consent".

She has Parkinson's disease and can not remain still even for the exam. Due to her involuntary movements she has to be put under.

I wasn't sure if people were normally put under for something like that or not.

Last edited:

killerb

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I was afraid of going under because when I was a kid, one of my cousins was put under for a routine procedure & never woke up.

But a few years ago I had an operation & going under actually turned out to be a pleasant experience. I had met the anesthesiologist the day before, and he came in to talk to me right before I went up to the OR...he was also there in recovery when I woke up.

One thing that helped me get over my fear was to give up worrying about what might happen. I told myself that morning "hey if today's the day, then today's the day" and that was the end of it.

Smartalk

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
It as you say due to your mum having Parkinson's she will require a general anaesthetic. I am having a cataract operation myself next Tuesday, which will be done under local anaesthetic, optional sedation if required.

Your mum will be in safe hands and will be fine, not everybody suffers from nausea during or after being anaesthetised. It also depends which anaesthetic is used, there being many and is selected in relation to the patients needs.

After the operation the improvement in your mum's vision will amaze her. It will be well worth it. It is always ways hard to place someone you love so much in hands and care of other, totally natural.

Wishing her a speedy recovery

Regards

Smartalk

prepstudinsc

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
I had surgery on my hand a month or so ago and had anethesia without any problems. About 5 years ago, I had knee surgery and about 6 weeks later, had to have another surgery due to a major staph infection. (That's a whole other story...) The first knee surgery caused me to be very nauseated, but the second one was fine. I think it must have just been whatever drug they used the first time. So 3 times in 5 years I've had it, and the only problem was being nauseated and throwing up. The following day I was fine.

I don't think that there is anything to worry about.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
My mother has to get a cataract operation and needs to be put under for it. We don't have the date set yet but my father is very worried for my mother and said he did not get any sleep last night because they went to the eye doctor yesterday.

I tried to assure him that an anesthesiologist will know what to do and how much to administer.

I'm not worried at all, I don't think my mother is either.

My sister was worried when she had to be put out for a laparoscopic gall bladder operation. I knew she'd be fine, and she was.

Does Anesthesia scare you?

Nope, not in the least. Though after my last major surgery I did get a staph infection at the incision site. My worry in the past was that they would cut or remove the wrong thing; and now of course I worry about staph infections. :frown1: The general anesthesia is not an issue to me. In fact the only time I have heard of it being a problem is when someone goes to a quack doctor for liposuction.

I believe your mom will be fine. Try and soothe your dad as best you can long distance. Or did you fly back up to New Jersey for this procedure.