Are you going to pray according to the President's instructions?

sandwulf

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I will pray how I wish, when I wish. I do not need anyone in government or anywhere else for that matter to tell me when to pray and for what I should be praying.

What the hell happened to the supposed separation of church and state anyways?

xanderthegreat

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
national day of prayer has been around for a long time. i see no problem with it.

and as an aside, if you're going to credit bush fully for the war in iraq, then you should also credit him fully for the fact that we haven't had an attack for 7 years also. and by that i mean we haven't had any embassy bombings, no uss cole bombings, no bombings on american cities. i think you have to be fair about it.

frizzle

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Pansexual
The dollar is slipping, the government is deeply in debt, the budget is screwed, looming government liabilities seem to have few solutions, the world largely despises the American government, the administration's actions have likely greatly enhanced the risks Americans take abroad when traveling, the eventual likelihood of another terrorist attack on American soil has, in the belief of many commentators, been increased rather than decreased ...

Faceking, I would hate to know what we'd see if a president had greatly affected his countrymen's lives ...

Come on, the country was already in debt BEFORE Bush took charge and the dollar was bound to slip eventually and it's very little a government can do to stop the dollar slipping. It's a gradual uphill downhill cycle. Alot of what you describe can only be said of your government, something which Bush has little control over in a DEMOCRAT run congress. And trust me, America was hated world-wide before Bush and it'll be hated after aswell. Just like an world power.

Yeah Faceking. Some of the members here have relatives that have been wounded in Iraq. That war is ENTIRELY Bush's doing. Your comment is in poor taste.

I'm praying for January 20, 2009 to come early.

You're telling me, one man created it all? Do you not even know how your own government works? Checks and Balances ring a bell? Also, somehow I don't think Bush forced people into the army, it's conscription. (Although you could say that the administration hasn't cared enough for it's army, illegal war etc..but that's another kettle of fish.)

You could have it alot worse in general.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
Come on, the country was already in debt BEFORE Bush took charge and the dollar was bound to slip eventually and it's very little a government can do to stop the dollar slipping. It's a gradual uphill downhill cycle. Alot of what you describe can only be said of your government, something which Bush has little control over in a DEMOCRAT run congress. And trust me, America was hated world-wide before Bush and it'll be hated after aswell. Just like an world power.

There's no question at all that the neocons have greatly exaggerated all of these problems.
The unilateralism of the Bush government has been a huge provocation to governments and peoples around the world.
The lowering of taxes combined with a huge increase in expenditure has turned an enormous surplus under Clinton into a crushing deficit.
The way the Bush government has fought the War on Terror has made even Muslims formerly well-disposed to the United States now highly suspicious of the American government's intentions vis-a-vis their religion.
One could go on.
You do make a point, frizzle. Many of these conditions are accumulated results of what all governments do in sequence. And the president is not the only player that sets government policy.
But to the extent to which a president can change the arc of changing conditions and changing perceptions of the United States, he has had the worst effect of any president in my lifetime.
For eight years, he's been way out of his league.

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Are you going to pray according to the President's instructions on the National Day of [Presidential Authority over] Prayer, which is May 1, 5008?

Well, let's see what he says...

"For Immediate Release
Office of the Press Secretary
April 22, 2008

National Day of Prayer, 2008

A Proclamation by the President of the United States of
America

America trusts in the abiding power of prayer and asks for the wisdom to discern God's will in times of joy and of trial. As we observe this National Day of Prayer, we recognize our dependence on the Almighty, we thank Him for the many blessings He has bestowed upon us, and we put our country's future in His hands.

From our Nation's humble beginnings, prayer has guided our leaders and played a vital role in the life and history of the United States. Americans of many different faiths share the profound conviction that God listens to the voice of His children and pours His grace upon those who seek Him in prayer. By surrendering our lives to our loving Father, we learn to serve His eternal purposes, and we are strengthened, refreshed, and ready for all that may come.

On this National Day of Prayer, we ask God's continued blessings on our country.This year's theme, "Prayer! America's Strength and Shield," is taken from Psalm 28:7, "The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped." On this day, we pray for the safety of our brave men and women in uniform, for their families, and for the comfort and recovery of those who have been wounded.

The Congress, by Public Law 100-307, as amended, has called on our Nation to reaffirm the role of prayer in our society by recognizing each year a "National Day of Prayer."

NOW, THEREFORE, I, GEORGE W. BUSH, President of the United States of America, do hereby proclaim May 1, 2008, as a National Day of Prayer. I ask the citizens of our Nation to give thanks, each according to his or her own faith, for the freedoms and blessings we have received and for God's (?) continued guidance, comfort, and protection. I invite all Americans to join in observing this day with appropriate programs, ceremonies, and activities.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this twenty-first day of April, in the year of our Lord two thousand eight, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and thirty-second.

GeoRGe (WTF?). BuSH"

SOURCE: National Day of Prayer Task Force | News | Proclamation#

and lets apply the US Constitution's first amendment which states...

Amendment 1 - Freedom of Religion, Press, Expression.
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Wow, He established that on THE BIBLE and wants the other religious factions to use their beliefs in conjunction with a belief established in a certain religion...Hmmm.

That is kinda strange.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
This mess, this mess... i'm not thrilled with Bush... but ya'll are moping around like it's cataclysmic.

the president himself has done VERY little to effect your daily productive (or unproductive for some of you here) lives... now and in the future.
With the exception of every Supreme Court nomination and cabinet and agency-head appointment he's made, I suppose you are right.:rolleyes:

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
This mess, this mess... i'm not thrilled with Bush... but ya'll are moping around like it's cataclysmic.

the president himself has done VERY little to effect your daily productive (or unproductive for some of you here) lives... now and in the future.

Not only are you ignorant..

you are gullible.

Stop watching Fox news....

YOu have no idea how much damage this doofus imbecile tool of the wealthy has done to this country.

We will still be discovering the long term effects of his idiocy 20 years from now.

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay

Yup. According to Bush there is no recession either. Funny.. Alan Greenspan seems to disagree.

submit452

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Yes, I am going to pray that the mess he has created can be fixed by the next president....
Amen, With the near apocalypse Bush has created we finally get the 70% of the country that doesn't vote a reason to get off their ass and do something about the extremism that got us where we are in just 7 years. Thank you God!

TurkeyWithaSunburn

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I'm going to light black candles, let some blood, and beseech Satan to ensure that Bush has a bad hair day on May 1st.

MidlifeBear you're ALWAYS good for a laugh or chuckle in your posts :biggrin1: Thanks it made me laugh.

Nope I'm not going to be praying.

Who do athiests and agnostics pray to?

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay

You're telling me, one man created it all? Do you not even know how your own government works? Checks and Balances ring a bell? Also, somehow I don't think Bush forced people into the army, it's conscription. (Although you could say that the administration hasn't cared enough for it's army, illegal war etc..but that's another kettle of fish.)

You could have it alot worse in general.
You are right the U.S. was in debt before. 2000 it was 5.67 trillion. In 2007 it was 9 trillion. That's about a 60% increase.

The Congress has been controlled by Democrats for the last one and a half years Frizzle. America was hated before that is true. But I believe it is even more so now.

Of course Bush had help starting this war. Cheney, Powell, Blair, Rumsfeld, certain members of congress and the media, et al, were his helpers in telling the needed lies and creating the hysteria. OK, Blair was more in the order of lapdog. But Bush was the circus master, make no doubt it.

As far as forcing people into the army, as I recall, the U.S. had a standing army before the war. It wasn't created and recruited for the sole purpose of this war.