Are you integrated?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by exwhyzee, Jul 23, 2010.

1. exwhyzee

Gold Member

Many of us have multiple social networks, such as professional relationships, family, friends, people from our past...and maybe even LPSGers! Some of us might relate to these social networks differently...to the extent that we might segregate people into silos. For example, some might not want their professional life to mix with their family life; or maybe they don't want old friends (who knew you as Wanker Wally) to meet your current friends (who know you as Joe Cool). Do you keep your networks separated by circumstance, or do you integrate everyone you know into one big party?

If you segregate relationship types by category...have you found any pitfalls, dangers, or annoyances in doing that. To those who integrate everyone into one big "take me as I am" party, have you found any challenges introducing people from different aspects of your life?

Another way to look at this is to consider: will your funeral be full of strangers suspiciously eying each other from across the room, or full of familiar friends?

2. Thedrewbert

Thedrewbert Member

Albums:
    The only segregation I have are "friend and family", "close work associates", "distant work associates"

I've worked at the same company for 5 years, so some "close work associates" have migrated to "friends and family"

3. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    I do my best to keep different parts of my life pretty compartmentalized. For instance, I have a "little rule" about bringing customers back home with me from the bar I work in. I am a presence on four different MBs (including LPSG, where I post pix of both face and penis in various states of arousal) which I allow to overlap with my blog (see the link in my signature) but my Facebook profile is clean as a whistle and I do not allow these two aspects of my online life to overlap at all.

Only rarely and completely at my discretion do I share my blog links with customers from the bar, as my blog tends to reveal some extremely intimate aspects of my mind, emotions and sexual comportment (much like my posts here and elsewhere, which is why I allow the overlap), which might be seen as either confirming or contradicting my work persona, depending on how close they eventually get with me.

I learned the hard way about mixing Facebook with LPSG when I received unwanted and rather creepy/stalkerish "friend requests" due to my having befriended Jason_Els there: that's the only way these people (who currently inhabit the place which shall not be named) would have found me there, where my full name and other aspects of my personal life (Thanksgiving pix, etc), and my sisters (who live much closer to at least one of the people in question) are on full display. I have since taken steps to mask as much info posted on FB as possible from casual passers-by and the like, but at the time I felt quite violated.

It's not that I am closeted or keep weird secrets, but at heart am a very private man who knows where and with whom he can share elements of his life and those for whom such information would be unduly prejudicial (or at least extremely controversial), especially if I ever leave the bar and find more "legit" work. Were I to work for one of the AIDS Service Organizations here in town (and I'm negotiating for a position opening as part of a private grant they received several months ago), I would not want my co-workers or clients reading a blog post such as Deep Inside Mancunt, or Titpig's Advntures in Barebacking; Part 3: The Sicilian Wedding Sheet. Much as I am proud of the work (I consider that specific article to be one of masterworks), it simply wouldn't be appropriate information to share in that environment :rolleyes:

4. exwhyzee

Gold Member

Sounds like you are pretty integrated. :smile:

Thanks Bb, insightful post, as always.

LOL, I would think not. :biggrin1:

5. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    Insert bow and hat tip emoticon <here>

6. b.c.

Gold Member

Albums:
    "A George, divided against itself, cannot stand!" (seinfeld) :wink:

7. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    No real divisions, IRL on a social basis I'm an integrated whole. But anyone with an active online life who does not compartmentalize runs the risk of some sticky situations.

8. Matthew

Gold Member

No, I am disintegrated.

:wall:

9. b.c.

Gold Member

Albums:
    Dude, j.k.

Or anyone with a "J. O. B." for that matter. :tongue:

10. Mickactual

Gold Member

Albums:
    The only group I tend to compartmentalize are family. And that's mainly because my family is so dysfunctional that they just don't give a fart in the wind about my life - so I don't share much.
    My IRL friends all know about my dealings separate of them. I discuss LPSG with IRL friends...and MySpace people...and musicians I've worked with - and vice-versa. I'm a pretty open book.

11. exwhyzee

Gold Member

One of my best friends is like that. It shows itself on his facebook page where he talks about issues with his parents, his boyfriend, his neighbors...and gets comments from his high school friends, his professional friends, and acquaintances. A few months ago I saw the downside of this...when I went back to our school for a reunion and another alumnus (and his mother) complained about all the sordid facebook postings and how they didn't want to read all that. He is a very "take me as I am" kinda guy, and everyone will know each other at his funeral, but in a way he lives in a glass bowl for everyone to watch. I don't know if that is good, or bad, or...?

12. Mickactual

Gold Member

Albums:
    As Bette Midler would say: If they can't take a joke...fuck 'em.

Draft saved Draft deleted