Are You Loyal to Your Old Area Code?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Principessa, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Principessa

Gold Member

Have you moved recently? Is your cell phone still loyal to your old area code? Do you feel the need to get a new number in your new area code?

I ask because as many of you know I moved from my beloved New Jersey and the 732 area code to rural Georgia and the 770 area code in June of 2007. I staunchly refused to change my number when I arrived because I was a Jersey Girl. I'm still a Jersey Girl but I'm getting tired of the funny looks at the doctors office and other places when people ask for my cell number. I don't know why but I feel like by giving up that 732 cell# I am giving up a bit of myself and my rights to go home again.:redface: Yeah I know that's stupid but I like my cell number I've had it for like 5 years now. If I change I might get an ugly number. :frown1:

I remember watching Men in Trees last year and the main character, played by Anne Heche, faced a similar decision and it totally resonated with me.

Men in Trees - Episode: Get a Life
    Area Codes 917 and 646

Annie: Jack, no! A 646, maybe, but a 917? That's vintage, that's class, that's New York City.

The original area code for land lines in New York City/Manhattan was 212. In the 90s, the 917 area code was overlaid in the same area, meaning new numbers, mostly cell phones, were given the 917 area code. In 1999, area code 646 was added. This is why Annie calls 917 vintage. If someone has a 917 area code, it is believed to be more elite because a person had a cell phone before the big wave of technology.

2. MickeyLee

Gold Member

i still have my miami phone :redface: the number is local for the people i really care about, so i'll keep it until i can talk everyone into relocating.

i do have a second phone for my new location. easier for work and ordering curries.

ml

3. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

I live on the border of two states. So area codes don't affect me much. It's either 816 or 913 for everyone I know. Which area code I have doesn't affect me any. If I moved to another state or something, I'd get a new phone number. That way any new friends I made wouldn't have to call my cell phone long distance just to talk to me. (I can't just assume they'd all have cell phones.)

4. Principessa

Gold Member

Exactly! I still have a number of friends in Jersey and a few family members to whom I speak with a fair degree of regularity. This way it's a local call for them. :smile:

i do have a second phone for my new location. easier for work and ordering curries. ml[/quote]

5. nudeyorker

Gold Member

No I have no loyalty really. I still have my 212 New York #, but when I changed my residency to Hawaii, I got an 808 cell phone is a New York Minute!

6. MarkLondon

Gold Member

Albums:
    You have local area codes for mobile phones in the States? How weird. In the UK and France (so, presumeably most European countries) there are separate codes for mobiles that do not correspond with geographical areas. In the UK most mobile numbers start with 07. It's 06 in France.

We can tell at a glance what kind of phone we're calling, and what kind of charge to expect.

7. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yeh - we have area codes for landlines in the UK - but not mobiles (maybe cos there are fewer people here, lol).

I was sad to leave my old landline area code no. behind when I moved from Liverpool to Wales - but got used to it in the end.

8. Northland

Gold Member

The problem with this of course is the same as what has happened with 212 area codes. Although when the overlay of codes, with the 646. came into play, no new 212's were created and when a 212 ceased being used it remained dormant, they have begun emerging for some of the latest individuals moving to New York, and it's not even a matter of having to place a special request for them. They are just being assigned automatically.

As to the cell, my current 917 was issued to me in September of 2002 at a time when most people were being saddled with 646. Luck or the good senses of AT&T? I don't know, I'm just glad I got it.

9. Viking_UK

Gold Member

UK here, so the area code thing doesn't apply to mobiles (cells), but I've kept the same number since I got my first mobile in the '90s even though I've changed provider. It means that anyone who's ever been given my number can still contact me. (Hopefully not my Finnish doppelganger though!)

Draft saved Draft deleted