Are you more like your parents than you care to admit?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by earllogjam, May 21, 2007.

1. earllogjam

Gold Member

How far away from the tree did you really drop?

When I was a kid I always said - "I will never be like my father - ever!" But strangely as I get older I see a lot of myself in him. The way I see things, react to things, go about doing things, thought patterns. Am I turning into my father? Not completely, but I see what parts of myself I got from him and my mother. Some I have consciously tried to eradicate. I guess I just haven't been able to escape all that family wierdness. This only is worse when other relatives or friends comment how similar we are at family functions. Ughh.

Has anybody else had similar experiences? Or discovered that you really didn't drop that far away from the tree contrary to what you believed or wanted?

2. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

I'm more like my father than I would like. But I'm more like my mother, which I think is absolutely fantastic. I want to be my mom when I grow up. :smile:

3. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    I have become my MOTHER!

4. naughty

Gold Member

Absolutely!

I think I am a good mix of both. How can one help it? I happen to think I had pretty good parents, though. SO, if I am half the woman they raised me to be, I am on my way!

5. amiegrrl

amiegrrl New Member

It's very strange how much we become like our most important male and female role-models. My mother died when I was 7, so my father did most of the 'raising' until I was 13, then I went to live with my aunt and uncle. I've tried to incorporate all the good parts of my father's personality, like his tidiness and punctuality, but there are times that my BF is like, "Stop acting like John Jr.!" I hate that.

It dismays me to know how few parents understand the profound impact they are having on their children with the way they act.

6. Principessa

Gold Member

7. earllogjam

Gold Member

Mom's with big dicks. I think I saw that contingent at the Gay Pride Parade.

8. Principessa

Gold Member

I like to think I am the best parts of both my parents, but I know that's not true. I have my dads style of argueing. He has an annoying habit of bringing up things that happend 10 years ago just to prove a point. When I am stubborn and won't back down my dad says I am a Montgomery, my moms family; but my mom will say I am just like my father lol :tongue: :biggrin1: :tongue: They are both right. Mom's family can hold a grudge until the end of time and if her sister or nieces say you are dead to them. That's all she wrote, you will never hear from them again.

9. rob_just_rob

Gold Member

10. Nomad

Nomad New Member

When I got out of college I started to realize how much I was like my dad. There were a lot of things about him I wanted to avoid becoming, but it seems it's impossible to resist...

Now that I'm a few years older, I think our characteristics have finally diverged a bit.

11. prepstudinsc

Gold Member

If you are half a woman, is your name Eileen or Peggy?

12. prepstudinsc

Gold Member

I'm very much like my mother, but she says that I have many manerisms of my father, who I never knew, since he died suddenly when I was about 9 months old.

Genetics are strong things. We can't escape traits that are embedded in our genetic makeup, but the experiences we have from growing up with our parents flavors some of our being.

The really wierd thing is that I am a lot like one of my maternal grandfather's brothers--in thinking, in action, in likes/wants. That's the scary thing that things will skip generations and rear their heads when least expected!

13. Principessa

Gold Member

14. naughty

Gold Member

15. naughty

Gold Member

:eek:

16. viking1

Gold Member

Oh yes, I was definitely blessed with that laconic, blunt, Norwegian personality. Along with depression, and a few other choice qualities.

17. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

I'm quite a bit like my parents, but that's a good thing. I only wish I had more of my Mom's inner strength. She was an incredible woman and an amazing human being.

So, yes, I'm much like my parents, but I don't mind admitting it!

18. NCbear

Gold Member

I'm like both of my parents, in terms of their best and worst qualities. No middle ground, apparently.

And this after trying so damned hard to escape being strange like them.

:eek:

NCbear (who wishes sometimes that he could go back in time and start over, knowing what he does now)

Draft saved Draft deleted