Are you 'out' at work??

Discussion in 'Relationships, Discrimination, and Jealousy' started by D_Percival Puddleford Pukehorn, Aug 27, 2009.

1. D_Percival Puddleford Pukehorn

I wonder how many of you are out at work. I'm asking because I'm pretty opened about my sexuality with friends and family but for some reason when it comes to work, I tend to be more discrete about it. I feel I need to be that way because I've had some bad situations in the past where some of my co-workers/supervisors held it against me only because I was gay. It wasn't even like I hit on them. And to think that as a society we have advanced with all this. :rolleyes:

2. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    I'm currently self employed, but when I worked in the "real world" I was always unapologetically out. But I live in Massachusetts and I think you could say we're a tad Liberal in this state.

3. nudeyorker

Gold Member

I'm not in or out at work. I'm sure there is little question in anyones mind about my personal life, but I don't discuss it at work. I do my work.

4. cdunstan1

Gold Member

Albums:
    Hell yeah. And if you're telling me you can't find an employer in NYC who is very strict about enforcing anti-gay harassment and discrimination (as opposed to just having policies that the company doesn't really support), you are not looking hard enough. Or maybe you're on Staten Island.

Btw, I am an executive at a bank. And then boyfriend, now husband, and I vacationed at the home of the president of my company over the 4th of July. So there.

5. Countryguy63

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I hope I don't steer the thread away from it's intended intention, but, I wonder if there is an "out" for bi? I mean, no one at work (20or so in our dept) has ever asked, but if they did, IF I felt it was approprate to answer, I would be truthful.

I guess the flat answer is no, but not because of hiding or denial

6. flame boy

flame boy Account Disabled

Either way you chose you shouldn't be judged for it. I've never really had to come out at jobs, from the get go I make mentions to my partner and "he" does this and that. I never made an announcement or actually confirmed anything and people just knew and quickly moved on. If I was still in the closet and people asked about my personal life, I would just tell them that its a private matter and likewise, they would quickly move on.

7. crescendo69

Gold Member

Are you 'out' at work??

No, I'm out of work.

8. D_Percival Puddleford Pukehorn

lol

yes this would apply for bi-sexuals too i guess.

9. Principessa

Gold Member

If I were you I wouldn't come out as bisexual even if asked. :no: At least not in the work place. Not because of shame, but because most people see the world in terms of black and white. Being bisexual falls into the gray area which is why so often bi-sexuality is misunderstood.

EDIT: The above statement is IMO, I haven't done any studies or anything so it's not like what I said was fact or based on scientific research.

I think this is the definitive answer.

#9 Principessa, Aug 27, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2009
  10. Countryguy63

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Sad, but true :frown1:

11. Principessa

Gold Member

Sorry, I meant to add IMO, at the end of that. I haven't done any studies or anything so it's not like what I said was fact or based on scientific research.

12. Countryguy63

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Unfortunately, we've all seen that no scientific research is necessary

13. B_theOtherJJ

B_theOtherJJ New Member

Hell Yeah, I could never do a job or work at a place where I had to hide or couldnt be myself. However, being out at work has opened up all sorts of cans of worms, like deflecting "date" offers from clients, or fending off "gay" comments from boss and co-workers. But still, i am free and dont have to hide.

14. D_Jerry_Atric

D_Jerry_Atric Account Disabled

I've been out as bisexual/queer at various jobs and it's never been a problem and a lot of people do understand it.

15. B_mitchymo

B_mitchymo New Member

I work in a small team with 10 women and 4 other men so it is pretty easy to be relaxed and i came out quickly after starting there 8yrs ago. It helps that i work with a good bunch of people and having worked with dozens and dozens of other people that have come and gone the vast majority i got along well with and there finding out (i am not obviously gay and don't go out my way to tell) it does not affect the working relationship.
    All the delivery drivers and customers i work around assume i am straight and i never correct them because i honestly hate telling people like each time it could possibly be an issue that affects the relationship whereas the people i directly work with i like them to know so i can be myself.

16. Principessa

Gold Member

I was going to say you are lucky and must work in the arts or non-profit. :cool: But I think maybe, it's more likely that I live in a bizarre bubble. :redface:

17. D_Roland_D_Hay

D_Roland_D_Hay Account Disabled

OH, HELL no...

18. xrush_uncut

xrush_uncut New Member

I'm with you. Whether or not they know is a whole different story, but I don't discuss it at all. I'm sure some of them are confused, but I leave my personal life at home.

19. D_Penruddick Middlefinger

D_Penruddick Middlefinger Account Disabled

It's on a need to know basis at the moment. When I mentioned that I needed to leave work early for a dinner date in NYC, my boss asked where I met her. I said I doubted he'd like being called a chick.

Don't sell the red states short either. When I was living in Va, if I was dating a dude or messing around with a chick, it didn't matter. Everyone knew I had my own free-for-all going on. Nobody minded and this was the heart (between the two armpits) of the Bible Belt.

20. D_Jerry_Atric

D_Jerry_Atric Account Disabled

I have worked in such jobs before but I have also been out on the corporate level and in office jobs.

Draft saved Draft deleted