Are you overweight?

vergax

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
BMI is mostly a useless index, it doesn't take into account your muscle, fiber and fat ratio, bone structure and many other related qualities that make a person fit or not.

When I was at the peak of my bodybuilding days, some 13 years ago, I remember a new nutritionist started working at the gym and told me I was overweight according to her BMI calculations heheh what a joke, I have always been on fit/thinner and it was a pain to get more muscle mass in those days, needles to say I told her she had no clue about measuring data on sportmen like me at that time.

Any honest person can look at the mirror and tell if they are overweight or not. A few extra pounds or a bit of belly doesn't make you fat nor overweight IMO.

I never know what is my weight, so I would not be able to calculate my BMI right now, but i am pretty sure I am fit and that is enough for me to know. Whenever I feel a bit of fat on my belly, I know I have eaten inadequately those days and I watch more closely my diet and exercise accordingly.

Again, BMI is USELESS, don't take it into consideration.

EDIT: i just read posters like OC above and see I posted redundantly after just reading the OP.

Last edited:

sinbad1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
A few years ago my workplace considered it appropriate to have every staff member weighed and tagged as part of an in-house physical fitness campaign. The true purpose of the exercise was to access if anyone was at risk of health conditions and if so, the company intended to encourage those at risk people to participate in their fitness campaign.
Frankly the people conducting the assessments were completely inept they were too focused on numbers rather than looking at the individual. I still remember receiving a telephone call one late afternoon from the head office for the group conducting the tests and being told I had to come into their offices immediately for further tests as I was morbidly obese and at server risk of immediate heart/kidney/body failures. Needless to say I roared back down at the phone at told them in no uncertain terms they were a bunch of idiots and didn't know what they were talking about.
As a bodybuilder for 20 odd years I can tell you that BMI is a pretty worthless measuring tool. It only works on people who fit the genre of average. If you are small bodied, large bodied or heavily into any athletic activity, the index won't work for you.

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I am overweight (I am not Jabba the Hutt though) but I am happy. I like that I have weight on me.

I have spent most of my teens up to my mid-thirties being skinny. I have high school classmates that can vouch for what I say is true. I hated it. I suffered from hypermetabolism.

Now that I am older...people have more of a problem with my weight gain than I do.

evilrunt

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
yeah im 6'0 178 and im 24bmi apparently just in the normal range lol. however my bodyfat % is like 11% which is nice i think

Jojo51623

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm 5'9 and 180 lbs so apparently I am but if that is the case then so are a lot of athletes which is why I don't pay attention to these kind of things.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Yes. I had an accident in January and have been unable to exercise at all. I hope to be able to start doing something when my physical therapy is over. I can also identify with the thyroid issues. It makes a quite a bit harder to lose the weight easily but we will see what happens.

Indelicate

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Height 5'9" January 2009 to January 2010
Weight 249 lbs to 199 lbs
Waist size 42" to 35"
Total cholesterol 210 to 135
Triglycerides 188 to 57
BP 140/100 to 120/72

How?

Regular Workouts
Eliminated Sugar from Diet
Reduced total carb intake
Healthier food choices
Minimum 1 gallon of H2O daily

Why?

Reduce / Eliminate effects of sleep apnea
Blood Pressure / Cholesterol
Lack of energy
Going to grad school, could not focus
Take better care of family
Improve self image

Last edited:

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Welcome back, PM!!

As discussed in another thread, I think that being back on a proper thyroid med/dose is going to do a LOT for you.

As far as weight loss programs go, here's my 2 cents (which could simply be non-cents... sorry, couldn't resist the pun).

I'm not a big fan of weight loss programs because a lot of their revenues center around their pre-fab meals, which in my opinion are highly processed junk.

As many people here know, I'm an "almost vegan," and while I don't push "don't eat meat" on other people (heck, I cook meat for my kids), I definitely DO push fresh fruits and vegetables on people.

I once ghost-wrote a diet book for a doctor who made a MAJOR case for a diet that was 70%-75% fruits and vetegables. You do this by eye-balling the food in front of you -- three quarters of the food on your plate has to be fruits and/'or vegetables.

In a nutshell --

A) Your body is 70% water (on the average).

B) Eating high-water foods, such as fruits and vegetables, is not only lower in calories, but also chock-full of nutrients.

C) Water-free foods are the no-no's that you need to eliminate or minimize -- water free foods are: sugars, flours (any kind of flour - whole wheat or refined) and oils.

D) Low-water foods are the ones that occupy the "remaining quarter" of your plate -- choose from legumes (beans), meats, grains (though no grain-foods made of flour), nuts, nut butters, etc.

E) If you eat meat, don't eat it with fruit or legumes or grains (meat doesn't digest properly if eaten with these other foods).

F) Even though it is "water-free," make sure you get SOME oil, and supplement with omega oils. Omega oils are vital for your brain and balancing your girlie hormones.

- - - -

Unfortunately, the book never got published. Bummer. However, it worked like crazy for all the doctor's patients.

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Oh... unfortunately, the doctor said that white potatoes couldn't count as part of your "three-quarters" on the plate. White potatoes had to be counted as part of the one-quarter.

Tattooed Goddess

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
You are much more tolerant of various foods than i am. Im so picky next to a normal person. I don't feel satisfied if i dont have some meat pretty often. I've tried to do the vegetarian thing but i can't get full or stay full long enough, i start to feel starved. I find it to be a pain to be eating that often to keep my blood sugar up when i live on veggies and fruits. There has to be a way to stay satisfied longer.

Trouty

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Everyone should carry a little bit of 'extra' in case of famine or something...You never want to be so stripped-down that missing the next meal might be fatal.

My philosophy as well - although I do tend to keep a few days worth of meals in reserve :biggrin1:

PS I AM NOT FAT! JUST BIG BONED! :wink:

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I need to lose 40 pounds to be happy with my weight. I have PCOS which makes me incredibly hungry, even after I've had enough. Because I've recently been diagnosed as diabetic, I'll have a nutritionist soon, and that should help. The last time I was this overweight, weight watchers really helped.

Enid

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
I'm not fat I'm just fluffy!

:dance:

Actually according to that BMI thingie I am like 2 points over so yep overweight here.

Weight Watchers is awesome! I figured out the equation that WW bases their points system on. I use that to keep track of calories per day. Here it is --

One point = (calories/50) + (fat grams/12) - (min{r, 4}/5)

The last part of the formula — min{r, 4} — is equal to the number of grams of dietary fiber or 4, whichever is the smaller number. The formula means that one point is equal to the number of calories in a food serving divided by 50. The value increases by about one point for every 12 grams of fat, and drops by about one point for every five grams of fiber.

Essentially 1 point equals 50 to 75 calories, depending.

I need 24 points a day to lose weight with 35 bonus points a week. That's for the 150-175 pound range I think. I'd haveta check for ya to be sure. I haven't been as strict lately since I started cardio class. Oh that's another thing, you earn bonus points for activity too. 1 point for every 50 calories burned.

OH and another thing that might be helpful -- earlier this year I got a couple pairs of Skechers Shape-Ups, a runners style and a mary jane style. Because I loved them so much, I decided to buy a pair of MBTs too. They both have the same technology.

http://www.amazon.com/Skechers-Womens-Shape-Ups-Sneaker/dp/B002YT2OM2/ref=pd_sbs_shoe_7

http://www.amazon.com/MBT-Womens-Ch...=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=shoes&qid=1271428889&sr=1-5

And OH MY GOD, I love walking in them. They are like walking on little mattresses! I walk as much as possible now. It's just such a pleasure to walk. I actually haven't put on any normal shoes since getting them. The 1st day I wore the runners, I got 3 unsolicited comments on my posture from individuals who had not noticed my shoes (you do have to get used the style). And my butt is definitely firmer.

Last edited:

Tau

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Extreme fattie right here :biggrin1: I live by HAES which hasn't steered me wrong thus far. To OP if you are looking for healthy ways to lose weight then weighwatchers is the way to go. My sister was on the programme for 4 months and dropped 50kilos and it happened in a way that didn't leave her muscle wasting