Are you religious or not

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Axcess, Dec 23, 2009.

?

What religion you practice?

1. Christianity

37 vote(s)
    33.0%
  2. Islam

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  3. Judaism

2 vote(s)
    1.8%
  4. Hinduism

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Buddhism

5 vote(s)
    4.5%
  6. other

14 vote(s)
    12.5%
  7. Nope I'm agnostic

20 vote(s)
    17.9%
  8. I'm atheist

24 vote(s)
    21.4%
  9. I'm antitheist( hardcore atheist)

9 vote(s)
    8.0%
  1. Axcess

Gold Member

It would be interesting to know the religious affilation in this site . I'm agnostic.

#1 Axcess, Dec 23, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  2. Gustavovolvo

Gustavovolvo New Member

I believe in God and some form of a greater realm than we are fully aware of. i am not a member of any religion.

3. Axcess

Gold Member

This thread isn't about god . It is about religion affilation but thanks for the contribution.

4. Gustavovolvo

Gustavovolvo New Member

I disagree. Your list included atheist and antitheist which tend towards an antireligious. I indicated the belief in God and failed to mention that I do pray to this God. I have a cross and a Star of David on my wall I don't see myself as a Christian or Jewish or Buddhist or Muslim or Hindi or directly of any of the hundreds of other factions and sects whcih exist.

5. Axcess

Gold Member

What I mean is that this thread isn't for debate if god exists or not . It is simply a poll thread.

6. Gustavovolvo

Gustavovolvo New Member

I see. Sorry to have intruded.

7. joyboytoy79

Gold Member

Albums:
    Are you religious or not is a yes/no question.

What religious affiliation you subscribe to is an entirely different question. One may be religious without affiliating with any of the sects you mentioned. You're asking two separate questions.

8. dc46064

dc46064 New Member

Albums:
    I was brought up in a very strict Baptist Church. I believe in God, but I havent found a religion that accepts gays so I dont go. If a church did I would attend

9. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

I was raised as an Episcopalian, was an acolyte, and took it quite seriously in my adolescence. My father's brother was an Anglican priest.

My mother's people were all Quakers.

I found, after a time, that I identified more with the Quaker philosophy than the Anglican one. But no. I'm not religious in any conventional way now. Boundaries and constrictions feel claustrophobic.

Wait! I've been known to worship cock.

dc4604?

The Quakers accept gay folks without condition.

10. nudeyorker

Gold Member

I was raised Jewish, however I have not set foot inside of a temple since the last bar mitzvah I attended. I observe my religious background daily in my thoughts and actions. In addition I apply some Buddhism to my life as well. I am not really religious but perhaps spiritual and respectful of my religion.

11. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

None that would claim me.

12. D_Smidley Smelliepits

D_Smidley Smelliepits Account Disabled

13. Brensta

Gold Member

Albums:
    I would say I am not religious, if I was I would be mild agnostic. I don't think there is any kind of sentient being overwatching us, but I do think that there are too many coincidences that would have had to of occured in the past for us to be where we are now.

I appreciate organised religion for what it gives to many people, but I dislike it for what has been carried out in it's name in the past.

14. thadjock

Gold Member

Albums:
    born and raised catholic, but now not a regular worshipper, i have more of an academic perspective of the church, and veiw the bible and church doctrine as more allegory than fact. any story that's been around that long and translated that many times is bound to have some substantial amount of embellishment built into it, for all kinds of subversive purposes. even theologians who devote their lives to study it can't agree on the basics. (some contend mary wasn't even a virgin) OMG

i wish there were a way to reconcile a belief in God AND evolution, because i do, but recognize there are some fundamental conflicts in that position. we do get a kickass holiday out of it and at any rate catholics know how to do christmas right. no offense pagans and presbyterians, but u just dont' use enough gold leaf on the inside of ur churches to make the candelight flicker

#14 thadjock, Dec 23, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  15. D_Smidley Smelliepits

Maybe should explain why...

My parents never transmitted me any belief of any kind. My grandparents are catholic, but never spent much time with them. And, finally, as explained in other threads, in Spain the Catholic Church is quite strong and has a great influence in everyday life, so I grew up against that influence. For the record, I'm not an anticatholic, I respect everybody's beliefs. Just don't like the way the Spanish Catholic Church acts. But maybe that made me question loads of things and one of them was the existence of God. :smile:

16. thadjock

Gold Member

Albums:

i don't think any less of u for it, and to be honest some days i'm a skeptic too.

days when something horrible happens it's really hard to fit that into the narrative of a loving God watching over us all. and i don't hesitate to verbally abuse him for it!

17. Drifterwood

Gold Member

What I see is that at the coldest, darkest time of the year when food is at it's scarcest, people come together to celebrate life, hope, community and humanity.

My best wishes everyone.

18. D_Smidley Smelliepits

Never thought about Christmas like that...

Happy Christmas! :smile:

19. prepstudinsc

Gold Member

The Greeks can do it up pretty good with gold leaf, too. I think the Greeks and Romans are pretty much tied for ornate decoration.

20. Mickactual

Gold Member

Albums:
    Very well put...and I'll add still being carried out it it's name as we speak.
    Also very well put, and a theory I've long believed to be true. It's like when You're a kid in grade school, and the teacher whispers something into the ear of the first kid in the front and askes them to whisper it down the line across the class. By the time it gets to the last kid, it's relayed as something entirely different. Now imagine a story being passed by word of mouth from language to language across the globe for over 2000 years. Must be a far cry from the original tale (which, as it is, has never been proven to be non fictional in it's origins).

To answer the question. Baptised Catholic. Catholic church denys me because I'm gay, so I deny it in return.
    Currently Agnostic.
    Show me proof and I'll change my tune. Until then, there's a sucker born every minute, and I'd like to think I ain't one of 'em.

Draft saved Draft deleted