Are you religious?

Are you religious?

• Yes, very, i attend services frequently.

Votes: 24 25.8%
  • Yes, somwhat, i somtimes attend services.

Votes: 8 8.6%
  • Yes, but im more spiritual than religious

Votes: 17 18.3%
  • Im athiest or agnostic.

Votes: 34 36.6%
  • Other

Votes: 10 10.8%

• Total voters

D_Joseba_Guntertwat

Experimental Member
Media
I'm atheist/agnostic. I believe there is no god, or if there is then he certainly never interferes in the way some people think he does, so he may as well not exist.
I believe there is no heaven, no hell, no afterlife - when you die, that's the end for you. Pretty depressing but it's the truth ;)

Oh and I hate those morons who say I'm going to hell because I believe that.

prepstudinsc

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
Having religion is good, I think it's a necessary part of life, but it has to be a living faith. You can't just sit there idly listening to a preacher and never practice it. In order to be religious, you have to act out your faith.

I am religious and I think I am also spiritual in that I live my faith. It's not just a hocus-pocus bunch of emotionalism, it's a life commited to acting out my beliefs, rather than shoving them down a person's throat. I have definite beliefs on certain ethical and moral topics, but just because someone doesn't agree with me does not mean that I alienate them. Just because a preacher says something doesn't make it truth.

God gave us brains and we have to use them. Sometimes that means that there are black and white answers and sometimes it means that we have to think for ourselves in a way that might push the envelope.

Being a Christian is not easy. It's not a "pie in the sky" kind of faith. Not everything is going to be easy and we're not going to automatically will prosperity to come into being. However, the eternal reward is worth all the stuggle and we will appreciate it so much more.

Here on earth, we are just strangers on a journey and our job is to make other peoples' lives better and give them hope for eternity.

My faith has gotten me through a lot of difficult times and being a part of a faith community has been important for me. Having brothers and sisters that share your pain and rejoice with you in the good times is just as important as private time with God.

Kassokilleri2ff

Experimental Member
Media
Everybody knows how christian and buddism and such works, so i figured i would put a little thing about athiests. There are growing groups of us and they made like this little creed thing, i like it.

“Your petitioners are Atheists and they define their beliefs as follows. An Atheist loves his fellow man instead of god. An Atheist believes that heaven is something for which we should work now – here on earth for all men together to enjoy. An Atheist believes that he can get no help through prayer but that he must find in himself the inner conviction, and strength to meet life, to grapple with it, to subdue it and enjoy it. An Atheist believes that only in a knowledge of himself and a knowledge of his fellow man can he find the understanding that will help to a life of fulfillment. He seeks to know himself and his fellow man rather than to know a god. An Atheist believes that a hospital should be built instead of a church. An Atheist believes that a deed must be done instead of a prayer said. An Atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into death. He wants disease conquered, poverty vanquished, war eliminated. He wants man to understand and love man. He wants an ethical way of life. He believes that we cannot rely on a god or channel action into prayer nor hope for an end of troubles in a hereafter. He believes that we are our brother's keepers; and are keepers of our own lives; that we are responsible persons and the job is here and the time is now.”

Seems like atheism will become a religion one day, and i could get a day off of work! I wish lolz.

ganja4me

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I have noticed a lot of kids now a days that say they practice Wiccan. I don't understand why all of a sudden it is becoming popular. Another about that is only one of the kids who claimed to practice it actually knew a bunch of stuff about it. I saw him question a couple other kids who claimed to practice it and they really didn't know anything about it except that it was a religion and what the wiccan religion "worships". But everything else they had no idea about which apparently means they don't actually practice it, just claim to. Does anybody else have any experiences like this? Does anybody know why a lot of kids (Usually the ones that aren't in the "popular" crowd) are claiming to practice this religion that they know nothing about?

Kassokilleri2ff

Experimental Member
Media
I have noticed a lot of kids now a days that say they practice Wiccan. I don't understand why all of a sudden it is becoming popular. Another about that is only one of the kids who claimed to practice it actually knew a bunch of stuff about it. I saw him question a couple other kids who claimed to practice it and they really didn't know anything about it except that it was a religion and what the wiccan religion "worships". But everything else they had no idea about which apparently means they don't actually practice it, just claim to. Does anybody else have any experiences like this? Does anybody know why a lot of kids (Usually the ones that aren't in the "popular" crowd) are claiming to practice this religion that they know nothing about?

They are like "goths" they want to be different and go against christianity. I think its stupid. There are real goths who like the style and such, and there are fake goths who want to be different. Same as the wiccan kids, there are real ones, and then fake ones lol. We used to call people like this posers lolz. I see the same trend with athiests. Alot of "athiest" kids only say they are for some stupid reason like "i dont like rules" lol. I never had any influece to be athiest, i would always think to myself while trying to sleep, all this stuff, questioning god and religion. Over the years i figured out alot of things on my own, and then i found out about alot of the athiest groups, and all thier arguments and beleifs match mine so i was like, cool! But i see alot of people who just want to be athiest because they dont like christianity or thier parents or somthing stupid lol.

hawkgirl

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
This sounds a lot like Unitarian Universalist philosophy. :smile:

Yes, I dabbled in the B'hai faith and with the Unity and Unitarian faiths. I have been a regular at scientific metaphysical churches and have walked with the Dakota Women. I have burned lemon grass in sweat tents and made medicine bags. I have had psychic readings and performed readings. I have been to mosques, baptist and catholic churches. I agree with some things from all but all from none. :wink:

My personal philosophy may sound like 1 of many beliefs at any give time but I assure it has been developed from years of learning about myself and figuring out what works for me.:cool:

arktrucker

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
i'm Catholic. go to mass every Sunday. i love the ritual, the incense, the statues, the mind space. i went through a spiritual-only, no religion phase but, for better or worse, was drawn back. no regrets for me.

I'm a Catholic as well. I used to be a 'RC' Retired Catholic but the older I get it seems that I'm coming out of retirement.
Religion facinates me especially protestant religions. It seems to me they run them like country clubs. If you don't like what the preacher is preaching... you fire him and hire someone who will preach what 'you' want to hear.
I've caught a lot of crap here in the south for being Catholic with the sex scandals being exposed. I just have to remind the people of Jimmy Swaggart or Jim Bakker or Haggart in Colorado.

breeze

Experimental Member
Media
Well its a good thing someone is religious. Its now generally agreed that pope paul is responsible for the fall of russia and ending the cold war. If it weren't for the pope and the millions who put their lives on the line for him europe and the united states would be staring at 1000s of russian icbms aimed directly at them. If the pope hadn't traveled to poland , poland wouldn't have fallen , if poland hadn't fallen then eastern europe wouldn't have fallen , and if eastern europe hadn't fallen then russia wouldn't have fallen. And only for the pope and for god would those millions of polish citizens have put their lives on the line. The other side of the equation is a little more difficult to answer and i'm not sure anyone really knows. Why didn't the russians react with their customery force like they previously had. There is a clue but i don't know how accurate the story is. Supposely after the cold war was over mikhail gorbachev traveled to rome , kneeled before the pope and asked forgiveness for russia's sins ? You can also ask didn't the pope , by his actions , put us potentially in harm's way. The answer is twofold : 1.} the pope was fulfilling a 1917 prophesy 2:} the world was in a precarious situation - any mistake on either side and a world war would arrive { we had come close a number of times }. How long could we live like that ?
The question has also been asked before here what would a world be like without religious beliefs or put it another would we be better off without religious beliefs ? Actually there have been attempts to remove religious beliefs in our time. Now i'm not saying this is always the result. I'm just pointing to 2 examples. The first is russia and lenin"s " religion is the opium of the people ". Communism , in practice , was an attack on our economic models , political system and religious beliefs. Marx and lenin may have had a grand plan but stalin may have ended up murdering up to 100 million russians. The result was a cold gray world. Now i'm not as clear with my second example. The horrific nazi government of germany who simply elimated any opposition. They are other horrific governments of course but not with the power of the nazis. They basically , i think , had won world war 2 easily except for their mistakes of invading russia in the winter and dragging an isolated america into the war. The then pope has been criticized for not speaking out forceably enough against nazi germany but the nazis would put the fear of god into anyone. I believe during world war 2 axis troops surrounded but did not invade the vactican. I wonder what stopped them. The nazis slaughtered people in a new york minute. Is there any example in history of a society which has elimated religious practices and remained peaceful , resourceful and viable ?

B_big dirigible

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The Cold War ended because of some spells I cast while sacrificing a rubber chicken. Not a lot of people know about it because I didn't blab to the press, but Those In The Know agree that my influence was decisive.

I still have some of those rubber chickens. For emergencies.

Tank30

Expert Member
Media
I am a very spiritual person. Love God very much. I really don't define myself though. I would say I'm a mixture of Hindu and Christianity.

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Does worshiping your massage therapist count?:rolleyes:

I do some meditation and yoga - so I suppose I'm religious with a small "r".

I'm not religious in that empty, pious, catch all, organized, social stratified, cliquish, guilt ridden, controling, boring, no connection with my life, meaningless ritual, phoney, alligator tear, you'll go to hell if I say you are bad kind of way. Thank God.

CharlieBee

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I am not religious. I am more spiritual, in that I believe that we are all spirits having human experiences. For me it is as though we step into our bodies just as we cloth our bodies and when the cloths are worn and tattered we take them off.
I do not believe in the trinity or that Jesus was the son of God. I do believe in god just in a different sense that most. My spiritual beliefs leave room for acceptance of all religions because we all have different lessons to learn and are all at various stages in regards to our spiritual development and unserstandings of who we are in that regard. I am not speaking of who we are in flesh, nothing that mundane.
A friend once told me, "We are all exactly where we are supposed to be and doing exactly what we are supposed to be doing. The trick is in determining why we are where we are and are doing what we are doing!"
I very much agree with this statement.
I think that all things do work together for the glory of god and that everything is a blessing in its own right. Everything that happens in all of our lives is to aid in an understanding that will bring us closer to our true selves and to the god within us. So nothing is truely bad, not when you understand the reasons for why in happened in that respect.

As-salaam Alaikum, Namaste, Amen.

I pretty much agree with this statement. Its the only rationale that makes sense in this often disturbing world. Being a scientist by nature, I go with the theory that seems to explain things in the simplest way. I am open to any ideas anyone else has though. CharlieBee