Are you willing to DIE for your country?

Are you willing to die for your country?

• Yes

Votes: 14 17.1%
  • Not

Votes: 49 59.8%
  • Depends - but most probably not

Votes: 17 20.7%
  • Depends - but most probably yes

Votes: 2 2.4%

• Total voters

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
No.

I wouldn't die for a country that already considers me everything but equal to everyone else.

All this "Die for your country" is a bunch of bullshit. Let's see some of these corporate execs Die for their company.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I can't answer the question as it is phrased.

I think the reason is that no-one is seriously asking me for such a thing. I just can't get to an answer from what to me is an abstract concept.

I think the reason why you object to the phrasing is that it's an Americanism and is deeply connected to the concept of patriotism and all that.

Denying this is very similar to denying God over here, but then nationalism and religion are two sides of the same coin, at least for me.

big_tits4big_dicks

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
No way. I have but one life to live (I think) and there are so many beautiful places on this planet that I could be quite content with. That would mean giving your life over to the army or something of the such. And when you do that you are no longer in control of your life. It belongs to someone else.

Rammajamma771

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
If you enjoy the freedoms, the rights and lifestyle your country provides, then you should be willing to defend it. If you lived in most nations other than a western civilization, your options would be extremely limited as to freedom of religion or freedom FROM religion. Your sexual practices might be forbidden or even a basis for the death penalty (gay, sex outside marriage). Diversity, tolerance and decadence are at their best in enlightened western civilization. If you won't fight for what is yours, if you depend on others to defend you from al Qaeda and its Taliban allies in Afghanistan, then you are short sighted.

They came first for the Communists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for me and by that time no one was left to speak up.
Rev. Martin Niemoller (1945)

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
If you enjoy the freedoms, the rights and lifestyle your country provides, then you should be willing to defend it. If you lived in most nations other than a western civilization, your options would be extremely limited as to freedom of religion or freedom FROM religion. Your sexual practices might be forbidden or even a basis for the death penalty (gay, sex outside marriage). Diversity, tolerance and decadence are at their best in enlightened western civilization. If you won't fight for what is yours, if you depend on others to defend you from al Qaeda and its Taliban allies in Afghanistan, then you are short sighted.

They came first for the Communists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for me and by that time no one was left to speak up.
Rev. Martin Niemoller (1945)

You're conflating fighting for one's country and fighting for a just cause. Only extremely rarely do those two things coincide.

Unless you happen to be Afghani or Pakistani I'm totally mystified as to how you could be fighting for your country by fighting the Taliban.

Making the comparison with WWII is in the worst possible taste and erroneous to boot.

Last edited:

Mule

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
You're conflating fighting for one's country and fighting for a just cause. Only extremely rarely do those two things coincide.

Unless you happen to be Afghani or Pakistani I'm totally mystified as to how you could be fighting for your country by fighting them.

Making the comparison with WWII is in the worst possible taste and erroneous to boot.

Very, very well said.

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'm from the United States, and I give a big fat resounding NO. Definitely not dying for this place.

Would you object to giving up 2 years of your life to serve mandatory time in your country's military? I believe Israel and South Korea require this of all their citizens as well as a few other countries.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Maybe if people were less willing to "die for" their countries, there would be less "killing for" their countries and we could have a little peace in this world.

Last edited:

Hoss

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
We have members here from many many different countries around the world.

Just thinking of what it means to be a patriot and what loyalty to one's country means and what people are willing to give up for one's country and how much it varies from country to country.

Tell us what country you're from and whether or not you'd die for the sake of your country or would you deck out and escape before you were forced to put your life on the line in the military.
In 1968 the answer was apparently yes since I didn't burn my draft card. I didn't get called up either as my number wasn't drawn, not sure what I would have done if it had been.

surferboy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
if america were invaded, i'd have no qualms joining the navy. but i'm not gonna fight this ridiculous war in the middle east we have no business being part of

on a related note, my great grandpa from the philipines fought for america in world war 2. he just recently got his official recognition

Mule

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
Yes, but not for this idiot President

I don't think there's any real need for this thread to turn political. The question was country, not president. The two are certainly not one and the same.

That said, it's nice to have a president that isn't an idiot.

Viking_UK

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Maybe if people were less willing to "die for" their countries, there would be less "killing for" their countries and we could have a little peace in this world.

God no. I'm not throwing my life on the line to settle some rich politicians' squabbles. If wars were replaced with duels, you'd see alot less dictators.

Not to mention fewer wars. The people who end up doing the dying are rarely the ones who started the fight in the first place.

I'd fight for a cause I believed in, or to protect my family and friends, but I'm not going to risk my life just because some politician wants to throw his or her weight around or to protect someone else's business interests.

AngelComa

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I come from the USA. The only way I would die for country is if we were invaded and some outside force was trying to change how I live/kill me and everyone I love. Otherwise, fat chance. I love my military friends and am very thankful for their sacrafices but I just don't believe in it. All the bullshit the recruiters show you before joining is absolute trash. They don't tell you just what you're going to be giving.

AngelComa

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I don't think there's any real need for this thread to turn political. The question was country, not president. The two are certainly not one and the same.

That said, it's nice to have a president that isn't an idiot.

I thought you didn't want this to turn political? Or is it that you don't want any politics that disagree with you?

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
All the bullshit the recruiters show you before joining is absolute trash. They don't tell you just what you're going to be giving.

That's why I wouldn't fight for the military. There a bunch of lying sacks of shit that con teenagers into fighting for free, and then dumping them off like a piece of trash. The majority of them never see the said benefits.
They promise the world, and never deliver.
There's people still fighting for the benefits promised since Vietnam.
These folks come out 4 years behind the world, and get dumped into a poor job economy taking minimum wage jobs.
It's really sad. I say they should only be allowed to serve military until after a degree of some sort is earned.
They need to be educated about the world before they step up to fight unknown wars.

Need bodies now? Send prisoners. Perfect correctional facility I think.