Arianna for Gov

Longhornjok: Well, now that the Gray Davis recall election IS going to happen, I have to say I was excited to hear that Arianna Huffington is considering a run as an Independent. I've always enjoyed her ability to skewer both sides in her commentary on Bill Maher and elsewhere. I think it would be very interesting to see how an intelligent 3rd partier might shake up the political establishment as head of the 5th largest economy in the world. Yes, the world - California, baby! ;)

B_JohnTheHorse

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Longhorn,

I consider this whole recall fiasco to be nothing more than a coup by right wing forces determined to undo an election a la Florida 2000. It is terribly destructive, I think to open this particular pandora's box because once people realize they can overturn elections by simply recalling elected officials when they don't like them for the simple fact that they WON you will see it happen more and more. This is bad news for both parties actually. Re: Arianna - she started out as an apologist for Newt Gingrich and is now what? A progressive? I agree that she might bring some badly needed fresh air to california's political debate, but again, I'd prefer to see her or anyone else interested in being Gov. to wait until the next election.

Thanks
JTH

7x6andchg: Having lived in Minnesota during the *ahem* "Jesse years"...I can tell you that having famous people as Governor (after they become famous, not before a la Ronald Reagan) doesn't quite seem to work out...

Yes, Mr. Ventura injected a lot of fresh air into the political climate of Minnesota, and he also got more of the world talking about Minnesota (something I daresay California hardly needs)...but he was also at times ill-informed and combative when it did not serve the purposes of the State for him to be so.

I would suggest a serious hard look at electing Ms. Huffington the Governor of the State of California...make sure there's less pomp and more circumstance...

7x6&C

MisterMark

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I'm against the recall, but I can't help but be a little entertained by the circus-like atmosphere of it all.

I don't know if you've heard, but Arianna's gay ex-husband (Michael Huffington - a Republican) has officially entered the race as well.

Should be interesting, to say the least!! ::)

Longhornjok: Well, Mark, if that's true (her ex actually does run), then this is a moot point, because she said she wouldn't if he did. Hmm, we'll see.

JTH, I agree with you about the hijacking nature of this recall, but it seems to be a done deal now so that fight is over. In terms of her political evolution, this is what she had to say about that to SALON magazine:

"... the issues I care about haven't changed. What changed was my understanding of how we solve those issues. I truly believed that the private sector could step up to the plate and provide the financial resources and the volunteer time to tackle poverty and all those social problems. I really did. But then I found out firsthand, through observing the Republican leadership at work, how unserious they were about addressing those issues. I mean, in Gingrich's first speech as Speaker he actually said the issue of poverty would be more important than balancing the budget. So there was a sense that something different would be done, but of course that was not the case.

And the other factor was seeing firsthand how difficult it really was to raise money for social problems from the private sector. When I started to raise money for these issues through my own group, the Center for Effective Compassion, I saw how different it was from raising money for the opera or fashionable museums. So that was the beginning of my own political transformation. I was always a moderate on social issues -- for gun control, pro-gay rights -- so I haven't changed there. It was really a change on the role of government. The government needs to play a role in these problems. It can't all be the private sector. And it's in this book too: You can't have an unregulated free market in a democracy. The divisions in this society are so glaring, and they cannot be sustained. Just one statistic: In 1980, the average CEO made 42 times as much as the average worker; by 2000, it was 531 times the average worker. That's the whole story."

www.salon.com/opinion/feature/2003/02/11/arianna/

And far as I'm concerned, the only thing Arianna has in common with Jesse Ventura is being outside the accepted 2-party establishment. I have read her columns in the LA and NY Times, listen to her on National Public Radio's Left, Right, and Center, and appreciate the research and the passion on display in her recent book, PIGS AT THE TROUGH: HOW CORPORATE GREED AND POLITICAL CORRUPTION ARE UNDERMINING AMERICA. I think her potential candidacy would be a proverbial breath of fresh air to blow out some of the stagnation in Sacramento. I don't know what her stand is on every issue, but I'm interesting in learning more about what she would bring to the table.

What can I say, I'm a fan. ;)

Synergistic

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
John, this is hardly a coup, I certainly don't see anyone pointing a gun to Davis' head. What this means now is that the elected officals are now accountable for thier actions before thier 4 years (or 2 or 1) are up, and need to do thier jobs correctly all of the time, not just before an election.

But I wouldn't entirely blame Davis for the current defecit, despite reports of pay outs and vote buying, the main problem is that California, especially, needs to take a note from Colorado, in which the voters have to agree on increasing spending in the government (at least thats how I understand it works).

I don't like Arriana Huffington's holier than thou attitude towards people. Its alright for her to fly around private jets, but its not alright for you to drive an SUV.

Longhornjok: [quote author=nlatimer link=board=99;num=1059509064;start=0#5 date=07/30/03 at 07:07:46]I don't like Arriana Huffington's holier than thou attitude towards people. Its alright for her to fly around private jets, but its not alright for you to drive an SUV.[/quote]
I think her point was not that SUVs should be outlawed, but rather that the government should take a broader approach to lessening our dependence on fossil fuels (i.e., encouraging auto-makers to increase vehicle fuel efficiency, especially in the behemoth SUV category). This Administration's attitude seems to be that it's fine to drill in Alaska and we can send our soldiers to the Middle East, but we have no business telling Detroit how to build cars.

Yes, Arianna can get a bit vitriolic at times, but it seems to work for Ann Coulter. :D

7x6andchg: Longhornjok-

I'm not saying that outside of being celebrities in their own rights, Ms. Huffington and the Honorable (shudder) James Janos aka Jesse Ventura have ANYTHING in common...from what I have heard of her she is certainly going to be more literate, well-informed, and erudite than Jesse was.

God knows I can think of trees that are more erudite...but I digress.

My problem with it stems largely, I think, from the fact that people with celebrity status going into a race tend to use that, and sometimes ONLY that, to win the race. Is that their fault? No, it's ours. Not mine per se, as I tend to be more issue-oriented, but the electorate's in toto. The "Oh, I know who this person is" voter.

I just fear it won't turn out the way people imagine it might - and with California in the state it's in at the moment (pardon the pun), I'm not sure she'd be the best choice, at this time. I say at this time because I haven't heard anything about her stance on issues at all....my opinion is always open to change once THAT happens.

7x6&C

Longhornjok: [quote author=7by6etC link=board=99;num=1059509064;start=0#7 date=07/30/03 at 15:11:26]I just fear it won't turn out the way people imagine it might - and with California in the state it's in at the moment (pardon the pun), I'm not sure she'd be the best choice, at this time.  I say at this time because I haven't heard anything about her stance on issues at all....my opinion is always open to change once THAT happens.

7x6&C[/quote]
Well, I read today that both she and her ex-husband have yet to make a formal announcement as to whether they will run or not, so the question remains.

Since I think you're outside the state, I should tell you our state legislature is constantly at loggerheads and gridlock is the order of the day in Sacramento. That lack-of-a-budget "crisis" that's been in the news lately? It happens almost every year. The Dems control the legislature, with the GOP holding just enough seats to play spoiler - and they do, constantly. Sure, that's our 2-party system at work, but it seems to have calcified here and no one is better for it. I guess my hope would be that someone outside of that might be able to bring in a fresh perspective and create new alliances to move the state forward.

So if you aren't aware of any of her opinions on any issues, why do you think she might not be right for CA at this time? Just curious.

:)

7x6andchg: Longhorn (sounds like you should be from Texas ;D ) -

The "stand-off" you describe happened both in MN this year (although they had a special session to solve it) and here in Wisconsin...in fact it is still going on because Wisconsin doesn't have the same limits on its legislative activity that MN does.
Actually, it's quite prevalent in the country this year because every state is in red ink up to their eyeballs as a percentage of their GSP.

However, it happened 3 of the last 4 years I lived in MN. (I've only lived in WI for 2 years)...it's par for the course. Jesse SAID he would fix that. He said he would be "new blood" and he would "whip the Legislature into shape" He couldn't. The IR and the DFL (Independent Republicans and Democrat-Farmer-Labor parties) both held out - MN even had a government shutdown in 2001 as a result.

My point isn't so much Ms. Huffington's ability or inability to do the job as it is that I wish people would elect someone they KNOW can do the job...which includes dealing with the legislature and being able to compromise. Many famous people are quite used to getting exactly what they want - so compromise isn't quite the order of the day. (Again, I can't say anything about her specifically)

I think she might not be the right person for the job without knowing her issues because expecting one person to change it all without changing the legislative body doesn't work. Ask anyone from MN about the Jesse years...Jesse learned the hard way that although he holds the "veto" pen, the people down the hall had the purse strings, and held 'em tight.

I'm sorry if I come off as sort of preachy - but we Minnesotans (and ex-Minnesotans from that time) went down this road expecting huge changes from someone who proclaimed he "shocked the world"...and nothing happened. All we got out of the deal was embarassed. (Again, not saying SHE would do so, but...famous governors attract attention - not always the good kind)

So that's my view on it....just be careful, California... :)

7x6&C

Longhornjok: Well, again, I wouldn't put her and Ventura in the same group - at all. Also, she would be entering the race (if she does) as a writer and political commentator, not as a former wrestler or actor or what I would really consider a "famous person"/celebrity. On the other hand, given the mess in the Legislature, I don't know that being a career politician automatically makes one either better informed or more qualified to serve in public office... and actually I am from Texas - I know California because I moved there a couple years ago. ;)

7x6andchg: Well I'm originally from Illinois - Corrupt Politics Central.

"Vote Early and Vote Often" :D

7x6&C

Longhornjok: Wow, so Arianna IS running and now so is Arnold. This should be a media frenzy for sure. I hope something good comes of it.

7x6andchg: I do too - for the sake of California and her storied history if nothing else.

Heard all you CA people are moving to NV though.... :D

7x6&C

awellhungboi: [quote author=7by6etC link=board=99;num=1059509064;start=0#13 date=08/06/03 at 18:42:57]
Heard all you CA people are moving to NV though....   :D
[/quote]

I heard that too! Now we know why.

Geez, what a choice Californians have: Grey Davis, Larry Flynt, Arnold, Darrell Issa. Arianna looks like the best of the bunch. Should be fun to watch how it plays out.

7x6andchg: Of course the same census data said that more Minnesotans moved to Wisconsin than vice-versa last year!

Must be because we can buy beer on football Sundays!
Go Pack!

:D

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
[quote author=Monstro link=board=99;num=1059509064;start=0#14 date=08/06/03 at 18:58:30]

I heard that too!  Now we know why.

Geez, what a choice Californians have: Grey Davis, Larry Flynt, Arnold, Darrell Issa.  Arianna looks like the best of the bunch.  Should be fun to watch how it plays out.

[/quote]
We have over 200 candidates, and Davis is trying to make it so he can run during his own recall.

AnonyMs: Man, I had no idea California politics was as much fun as Texas or Louisiana politics.

<opens up her lawn chair, pops a top, and settles in for the show>

awellhungboi: [quote author=jonb link=board=99;num=1059509064;start=0#16 date=08/07/03 at 19:29:45]
We have over 200 candidates, and Davis is trying to make it so he can run during his own recall.[/quote]

Yes, I'm aware of that. :)

Longhornjok: [quote author=jonb link=board=99;num=1059509064;start=0#16 date=08/07/03 at 19:29:45]
We have over 200 candidates, and Davis is trying to make it so he can run during his own recall.[/quote]
For any of you who may be confused by that statement, basically, there will be 2 separate questions re: the recall on the ballot. The first question is some version of "Do you support the recall of Governor Gray Davis?" and voters can choose "Yes" or "No". The 2nd question allows voters to choose who they would like to vote for as Governor. The Davis people are going to court to get his name added to the list of people in question #2, because the law doesn't make clear if it should be. It gets more insane every day - today the Democratic Lieutenant Governor Cruz Bustamante annouced his own candidacy (going against the wishes of the Governor AND his own party), but said he only wanted to ensure a Democratic alternative was offered. He is encouraging his supporters to vote "No" on the recall, but then vote for Bustmante for Governor. And let's don't forget other candidates like billboard queen Angelyne, Gary "whatchutalkinboutWillis" Coleman, and former baseball commissioner/'84 Olympics head Peter Ueberroth. As a matter of fact, I have heard that over 600 people requested the papers to run, but Saturday is the deadline to file so we'll see how many of them get the signatures and turn in the $3,500 filing fee. Can you imagine what this ballot will look like if even 1/3 of those names make it? The menu at the Cheesecake Factory! :D