Arizona law

D_Adam_Baldwon

Account Disabled
Media
Migrants sell up and flee Arizona ahead of crackdown - Yahoo! News

Say what you will, but I feel Arizona is doing the right thing. Granted, this law won't solve the problem of illegal immigration completely because many of them will flee to other states as opposed to going back to Mexico, but I think it's a start. Sure, you could call me heartless and uncaring, but guess what I would never even dream of moving to another country illegally and reap the benefits of the taxpayers from that country, so why should they do it here. It's not fair. Hey, if you're going to be a productive part of society and come here legally, you are more than welcome.

Charles Finn

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I fully agree
we have enough trouble taking care of our own
come here legally.
I have a big heart and i try to help who i can but you should not be here if you can't get a green card

TomCat84

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I wonder if I need to have my US passport to visit Arizona, since they are now their own country. Of course every white guy in the US is illegal, the only ones who aren't are the American Indians.

I don't know about you- but I was born here. How does that make me illegal?

daveboi

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
well, white guys took the land away from the Indians. I was born here too. but as long as the illegals aren't violent, I really don't care if they come here or not, would be nice if they learned English though, as my Spanish is very limited. I do love burritos:)

Last edited:

TomCat84

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
well, white guys took the land away from the Indians. I was born here too. but as long as the illegals aren't violent, I really don't care if they come here or not, would be nice if they learned English though, as my Spanish is very limited. I do love burritos:)

You didn't answer my question. How does that make ME illegal?

daveboi

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
well, it is more of a conceptual point that I am making. I get so tired of watching the news and hearing the old white guys just go off on them, just because they happen to be a different ethnicity than they are, and they don't want to lose their white majority status. Those guys probably have never visited another country before. People should have tolerance for everyone, as long as they aren't violent. American was built on immigration, that is what has made the melting pot of America great!

Last edited:

ericbythebay

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I don't understand how this law could work, unless they either check everyone or check no one.

Can someone explain how they will decide to check immigration status without racial profiling? What is considered suspicious, adding eh to the end of a sentence?

TomCat84

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I don't understand how this law could work, unless they either check everyone or check no one.

Can someone explain how they will decide to check immigration status without racial profiling? What is considered suspicious, adding eh to the end of a sentence?

I wish California could make a law to keep Zonies out. :mad:

D_N Flay Table

Experimental Member
Media
well, it is more of a conceptual point that I am making. I get so tired of watching the news and hearing the old white guys just go off on then, just because they happen to be a different ethnicity than they are, and they don't want to lose their white majority status. Those guys probably have never visited another country before. People should have tolerance for everyone, as long as they aren't violent. American was built on immigration, that is what has made the melting pot of America great!

I agree. We did all immgrate here. But the difference is we embraced the culture of America and the language. Not to mention did it legally. The opposite is happening now.

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I agree. We did all immgrate here. But the difference is we embraced the culture of America and the language. Not to mention did it legally. The opposite is happening now.
The "original "Culture" of America is Native American......The immigrant wave from Europe did not embrace it or learn the language.

TomCat84

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

I disagree. Even the "Native" Americans aren't from here originally. The only difference is that their ancestors were here before mine- but we ALL emmigrated here, even "Native" Americans.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight

I mention this person a lot in different threads, because she's an excellent illustration of how early 20th century immigration has been mythologized over the years:

In the town were I grew up, Weymouth, MA (about 15 miles south of Boston, on the South Shore), the chief of police and his wife (who was my 5th grade teacher) lived in a house directly behind mine. The wife's mother immigrated from Italy in the teens or twenties from Italy and never learned English: I know this because she lived four houses up on my street.

Everyone knew that this woman spoke no English and never drove a car because she was part of the community. Besides, her daughter, my teacher, told us so during a lesson on immigration and the "melting pot".

There are also hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of Vietnamese, Korean and Chinese immigrants here in the US who live in urban enclaves, maintain their traditional culture and have, at best, an extremely tenuous grasp of English.

Puerto Ricans, who have many of the privileges of US citizenship (though, admittedly their commonwealth status is not statehood) including representation in Congress, the ability to serve in our military and vote for President Yet they remain stubbornly, uniquely Puerto Rican and unless they have spent most of their lives in the "lower 48", do not have especially impressive English skills.

Cubans, who are welcomed with open arms once they've made it ashore, have full representation in Congress and in the Senate, too, due to Miami's unique demographics. But there are tens of thousands who live in Miami without learning any English whatsoever; Calle Ocho is really just the tip of the Miami-Cuban iceberg. Employment in Miami-Dade essentially requires one to be bilingual.

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
The familiar assimilation story is one we've already referenced in this thread: that the people who came in from Europe (particularly southern and eastern Europe) greeted the already settled (because "native" isn't correct) immigrants who established the first towns and colonies with a willingness to learn English and to work. Dependent on the congruence between these incoming people and those who were running the towns, usually on phenotypical identity but extended later to religious and cultural ties, they were in or out.

According to Barrett and Roediger, various waves of European immigrants embodied an "inbetween status" because they were categorized phenotypically with negative attributions (e.g. greed, filthy, poor, morally corrupt, etc.) and that these attributions were tied to skin color, while at the same time, they were given (albeit exploitatively) opportunities to settle and achieve limited mobility. Mind you, for much of the late 18th century and up to the mid-19th century, Italians, Poles, Slavs, and Jews were cracking into that opportunity structure while clearly brown, nonwhite persons were rebuffed with various levels of hostility.

Unlike the classic story of moving here from 1890 to 1940, any time after that was pockmarked by a deindustralization and restructuring of global industry. Back in the day, you could learn labor skills -- and granted some got treated better, paid better than others -- and make your way up the factory ladder while getting by. We quickly forget that manufacturing and industry gave us economic booms in wartime. When peace hit, the factories died out. Again, I emphatically say that this country is so economically tired because we don't produce anything and we thrive more from service sector industries that are done cheaper and better elsewhere. (Believe me when I say I'm no corporatist; they're part of the problem.)

In any event, Portes and Zhou theorized that this "classic" story of dropping English, working hard, and becoming American actually explained so little of how different ethnic groups assimilated. In their model of segmented assimilation theory, they suggest that new immigrants encounter one of three possible trajectories.

In the first case, they'll achieve classic assimilation and economic advancement.

In the second case, they'll achieve downward assimilation because, having no means by the time they reach these shores, they get stuck in central cities that remain underdeveloped. Denied opportunities and exposed to embittered subcultural elements, they act oppositionally toward American dreams and culture because of their experiences with personal discrimination.

In the third case, some ethnic enclaves do fine and mobilize upward, but do so only through having solid ethnic ties, remaining locked within their enclaves, and generating their own economic mobility structure. Proliferation of ethnic marketplaces gives them a niche that is appropriated by other people which brings money in and keeps these families afloat.

The problem with comparing Cubans, Nicaraguans, Puerto Ricans, West Indians, and black folk is that all of our historical and contextual backgrounds are different. Yes, Cubans came to this country because they were really ready to become American. At the same time, they came with quite a bit of capital of their own to do startups; the first people to get thrown out during their Revolution was the upper-class. Nicaraguans could settle in with them given that they were just as anti-Communist after surviving the Sandinista affair. Puerto Ricans were phenotypically classified as black and had much less capital. They had to make their own enclaves. Same for West Indians. And black folk -- well, we didn't have a choice in coming to the colonies. We were dragged here for slave labor.

Regarding the OP, of course all of this is based on fear. But fear is nothing new. Like it or not, the Americans who have run our institutions, our economy, our politics, and our judicial system -- as much as we want to hate the British and strike our way out here -- we pretty much replicated their foundations of law and order and we did it with just as much vehemence toward those who would "threaten our way of life." Stoked by the fear of losing independence, "native" whites enacted increasingly restrictive immigration laws and routinely justified their treatment of non-native-whites with racism, pseudoscientific superiority, and xenophobia.

D_Sir Fitzwilly Wankheimer III

Experimental Member
Media
I wonder if I need to have my US passport to visit Arizona, since they are now their own country. Of course every white guy in the US is illegal, the only ones who aren't are the American Indians.

If you fly or want to stay in a hotel you'll need your drivers license or similar ID.

Quite frankly I'm thrilled. we have too uch legal immigration rate as it is. we bring in about 1.2 million here legaly annualy. it used to be 250,000.

you can't have everyone here. any ratinal person who watches this will agree.

Immigration by the Numbers (6 million viewers) | NumbersUSA - For Lower Immigration Levels

houtx48

Cherished Member
Media
The law is going to be overturned by SCOTUS as being unconstitutional so hell of lot of good it did. Made bunch of mouth breathing old white guys feel important for week and a half.