Arizona lawmakers modify anti illegal immigration law

Discussion in 'Politics' started by TomCat84, Apr 30, 2010.

1. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
    Im going to admit that I am (mostly) mollified by these changes. Living a mere 15 miles or so from the busiest border crossing in the world, the one at San Ysidro/Tijuana, I am perfectly aware of the impact of illegal immigration in a way that the talkers further away from the border probably wouldn't be aware of. I work in a field in which I come into contact with a lot of them.

Arizona lawmakers modify immigration law - latimes.com

2. B_Mister Buildington

This seems very reasonable.

3. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Reasonable? Fucking idiotic, is what it is.

EDIT:
    It took some work to find it, but this isn't even close to being final...only the AZ House has approved this modification. It still must pass their Senate and the governor's office.

#3 HazelGod, Apr 30, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  4. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
    idiotic? How so?

5. faceking

faceking Well-Known Member

Albums:
    Incredible.... very very few... have actually read the bill...much less understand it's just enforcing about 75% of what already exists in Federal law...

yet Uncl' Barry, like his gaffemaster VP, throws out the "misguided" comment and then backpeddles.

the race card is so convenient.....

read the fucking bill, or any excerpt, vs. being spoon fed corridos via Telemundo and Univision.

noone is pulling over brown skin ppl and asking for ID...

it just gives the police more power WHEN ACTUALLY ALREADY CONFRONTING A LAWBREAKING INCIDENT.. more authority to say "oh, by the way... or you a legal citizen or immigrant".

once again , the libertards are on the wrong side of the issue.. keep going... November will be a slaughter if you want to keep this one going too...

6. B_Mister Buildington

Didn't read the bill you say? This is unprecedented!

7. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    Bishop Desmond Tutu on the Arizona Immigration Law:

I am saddened today at the prospect of a young Hispanic immigrant in Arizona going to the grocery store and forgetting to bring her passport and immigration documents with her. I cannot be dispassionate about the fact that the very act of her being in the grocery store will soon be a crime in the state she lives in. Or that, should a policeman hear her accent and form a "reasonable suspicion" that she is an illegal immigrant, she can -- and will -- be taken into custody until someone sorts it out, while her children are at home waiting for their dinner.
    Equally disturbing is what will happen in the mind of the policeman. The police talk today about how they do not wish to, and will not, engage in racial profiling. Yet faced with the option of using common sense and compassion, or harassing a person who has done nothing wrong, a particularly sinister aspect of Arizona's new immigration law will be hanging over his head. He can be personally sued, by anyone, for failing to enforce this inhumane new act.
    I recognize that Arizona has become a widening entry point for illegal immigration from the South. The wave has brought with it rising violence and drug smuggling.
    But a solution that degrades innocent people, or that makes anyone with broken English a suspect, is not a solution. A solution that fails to distinguish between a young child coming over the border in search of his mother and a drug smuggler is not a solution.
    I am not speaking from an ivory tower. I lived in the South Africa that has now thankfully faded into history, where a black man or woman could be grabbed off the street and thrown in jail for not having his or her documents on their person.
    Desmond Tutu: Arizona: The Wrong Answer

8. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    Only those who they "stop, detain or arrest". Yet they've expanded absurdly the scope of what they can "stop" you for. The ammendment is bullshit.

9. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    I agree........one of the things they can "stop" you for is "improper lawn care."

10. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    What an ignorant statement. Like so many others weighing in with such hysterical hypotheticals, Tutu does not appear to have read the actual statute in question. It does not empower police to approach, question, detain or arrest people on suspicion of being illegal immigrants. It also does not provide any penalty for legal immigrants who merely forgot to bring their documents with them.

Again, this remark shows either an ignorance of the actual statute or a willful misinterpretation of its meaning. Paragraph G reads as such:
    The language here clearly refers to a policy of behavior, not a single incident. There is no ground to sue an officer or agency for not checking a suspect's immigration status unless there is a demonstrable pattern of such refusals. The intent of this paragraph is to establish compliance with the law by all state officers and agencies by providing penalties for any who make it their policy to refuse to enforce it.

Actually, the law does distinguish...the child is subject to the jurisdiction of the juvenile system, while the drug dealer is charged with a class 3 felony. The egregious inclusion of his South African experience is distasteful, as it implies a totally invalid parallel.

They have? Where?

Again, where? Please cite the section of this law to which you refer.

11. B_talltpaguy

B_talltpaguy New Member

lol... Funny, I've read the AZ Legislature's (Senate) summary for the law and much of the law itself.... And I can objectively say that if anyone here is making it clear that they are willfully misrepresenting what is stated in the law, and what those statements mean in a court of law, it's YOU.

I don't have time for this trolling BS today, I've got my kid to enjoy... But here's the summary and law itself for those who are interested in knowing the objective truth, not TrollGod's fuckheaded opinion of what he thinks the 'truth' is.

The Summary...
    http://www.azleg.gov/legtext/49leg/2r/summary/s.1070pshs.doc.htm

The actual law... SB 1070
    http://www.azleg.gov/legtext/49leg/2r/bills/sb1070s.pdf

AZ House amendments to SB 1070
    http://www.azleg.gov/legtext/49leg/2r/summary/h.hb2162_ccmemo.doc.htm

#11 B_talltpaguy, May 2, 2010
    Last edited: May 2, 2010
  12. houtx48

Gold Member

"I work in a field in which I come into contact with a lot of them."..........................like a lettuce field?

13. B_talltpaguy

B_talltpaguy New Member

^He probably works in homebuilding, or restaurant supply, or property management, etc...

Draft saved Draft deleted