Arizona Politics

Discussion in 'Politics' started by evilgirlie, Sep 3, 2010.

1. evilgirlie

evilgirlie New Member

Albums:
    I am not sure how many people here are familiar with the shithole politics that is Arizona but those that are familiar with Jan Brewer and that saw the debate between Brewer and Goddard for Gov. might find this entertaining. I sure in the hell did! :tongue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRdN_m48m4o

2. b.c.

Gold Member

Albums:
  3. D_Sir Fitzwilly Wankheimer III

4. D_Sir Fitzwilly Wankheimer III

It really doesn't matter, actions speak louder than words. We have a classic case of the opposite in teleprompter pro Obama with the balls of a ladybug. She's standing up for her state and her people. Slam dunk chalk one up for Brewer.

5. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Here's the actual video footage...
    This is a "slam dunk"? Perhaps into a dumpster, maybe.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUPKKbmWMZ8

Alas, knowing how to read and to articulate properly under pressure and in front of cameras is still under attack in this country. Some people would rather equate long pauses, stumbling, and the occasional forgetting of their own words as intellectual sincerity just to maintain some shred of validity for maintaining a partisan political ideology. Amazing!!

Sorry folks, but the teleprompter wins again. :rolleyes:

6. sargon20

Gold Member

So when the going gets tough
    the tough get going (out the door suckers)

Jan Brewer Refuses Any More Debates

And apparently in Texas too:

The Debate Will Go On Without Perry

If we recall Palin had to duck for cover too during her VP run:

No Palin Interviews Without "Respect and Deference"

I think we can say it:

GOP candidates unpredictable and wacky

American democracy has become a spectacle.

She's also STANDING up for all the people who were beheaded in the Arizona desert!! Kudos for her!! No one else is standing up for them!!

#6 sargon20, Sep 5, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  7. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

The sad thing, even without open debates we still have the internet as well as a nation full of nosy & curious people with audio & video recorders. So these so-called political candidates can try to avoid talking to whomever they wish. Just like celebrities that can't avoid the pavarazzi, they will never be able to avoid the scrutiny of the opposition by not appearing on certain news stations or refusing to talk to certain media outlets. They want the power and the admiration that comes with it? Well, it comes with a price. Deal with it or go back to McDonald's and flip burgers. If anything, this exposes them to be more like cowards than anything else.

Sargon20: I read the link about Jan Brewer and found the last line in her statement to be the most ironic & funniest of them all - “Why would I want to give Terry a chance to redefine himself?” As if avoiding your opponent on a public scale and admitting indirectly that you're incapable of holding an honest discussion where you're not in complete control of everything doesn't do anything to "redefine" herself as well as the person she's running against? LOL!!!

#7 B_VinylBoy, Sep 5, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  8. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    Frequent open public debates should be mandatory for any elective office: the sheer hubris of campaigning without public scrutiny appalls me and should everyone interested in the best government possible.

Brewer and Perry should be skewered by their respective local media and called out as cowards in the national media.

9. sargon20

Gold Member

I doubt if she would want another opportunity to fumble her own notes and gives us several more moments of silence. Once you have that kind of gaffe you run for the hills. And that's what she's doing. And incredibly she'll probably get elected.

10. willow78

Gold Member

Albums:
    Because people won't see it as a gaffe, they'll see it as making her "one of them'. Her support base think teleprompters are "elitist", as though the machine somehow writes the speech itself.

11. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

It's so dumb, isn't it? And yet, somehow these same people ignored all of the pictures of their chosen using teleprompters during their own speeches? Gotta love the internet age! The power of human stupidity knows no limits.

12. sargon20

Gold Member

We have the rise of Sarah Palin to prove dimwittedness is now a virtue. No matter how many words the The Wild Wordsmith of Wasilla invents and mutilates her support never waivers and they fret over a teleprompter :rolleyes:

#12 sargon20, Sep 6, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  13. b.c.

Gold Member

Albums:
    DAMNED right they do. And judging from the actions of this "gem" she's an empty can of tuna, imo. But y'all seem to like 'em that way.

NOT to mention that she gained her office by default when Obama tapped then Governor Napolitano for the Homeland Security post, an Arizona policy Brewski herself took issue with, prior to her own "windfall".

Can you spell "TWOFACED"? How about "FLIP FLOP"? Or maybe "DUHHH..."

14. midlifebear

Gold Member

Brewer, like Sharron Angle who is running against Harry Reid, is as dumb as a bucket of hammers. But she's yet to screw up as badly as the late Evan Mecham, a mormon originally from Mountain Home, Ewetaw, who became Governor of Arizona. He was (and probably still is) the first U.S. governor to simultaneously face removal from office through impeachment, a scheduled recall election, and a felony indictment. As a perennial candidate for political office he was regarded as a joke -- by his own Republican Party -- until the day he died.

Like Brewer, Mecham was famous for creating riffs among voters. Only his riff was over repealing Martin Luther King Day as a National Holiday for Arizona public workers. He'd spent a great deal of energy opposing the MKL Day which had been created by decree of the previous governor (Babbit) in 19896, even though the bright, sweet spirits of the State House and Senate had voted it down for years, causing Arizona to lose tons of tourism money. As a mormon, he was famous for being the King of Lemons because of his Pontiac and used card dealerships. Both were buried under mountains of consumer complaints filed against his businesses. And he was the original tea bagger before tea baggers had a designation. He told black business organizations and the Arizona chapter of the NAACP that they didn't need a Martin Luther King day, "What you'all need is jobs!" He was also ignorant of the fact that he was antisemitic as one could possibly be by claiming in front of an exclusively Jewish audience that the USA was a "christian" nation. No ifs, ands or buts.

Brewer moved to Arizona from a childhood in Nevada where she was known for most of her life as Janny Kay (nee) Drinkwine. She ran for the Board of Supervisors of Maricopa County and served as Chairman for six years. When she left, Maricopa was in the best financial shape it had ever been. But her talent form micro management didnt' translate to a successful skill when she became Arizona's Secretary of State. And here's where she departs in skill sets from Sharron Angle. At least Brewer developed some skill sets as a politician whereas Sharron Angle has remained an "if it's in the Bible it must be true" evangelical member of Nevada's House of Reps who likes to bake cookies.

Amusingly, when Jan Brewer took the reigns as governor after Governor Janet Napolitano was recruited as the Secretary of Homeland Security by Obama, Brewer PROMISED never to raise Arizona taxes.

Guess what? The first thing she did as an unelected Governor was to propose a State tax hike. She claimed she simply "had" to raise taxes to make up for 4 billion dollar State tax deficit. She made her intention to go back on her "no new taxes" word during the second month as the new Governor as she addressed the House and Senate. A number of her Republican pals and buddies immediately got up and walked out in the middle of her speech. She still vows to raise State taxes

Since being governor she has: repealed GLBT rights of public workers to purchase health insurance for their civil union partners. (currently this is being contested in State court)

Taken $10,000,000 given by the Federal Government to be used to improved public schools and diverted it to arrest and deport illegal aliens.

Put caps on health programs for children of families living below the official poverty line.

Hired and was subsequently investigated for conflict of interest for hiring Chuck Coughlin and Paul Senseman, both lobbyists for Corrections Corporation of America; Coughlin as a policy advisor and Senseman as communications director. Senseman resigned. Coughlin is still on board as a lobbyist. Both have been found to have worked and be working in positions of conflict with the Brewer Administration.

Her record on making up out right lies: And then there is her willingness to pick up any lie and pass it along as the truth: the hoards of headless in group graves in the Arizona Desert being her most recent, famous ability to pass rumor as fact. Regardless of her apology for making it up (actually, Faux News investigated it and found it not to be true --- imagine that?), she is a great believer that Phoenix, Arizona, as well as al the border cities of Arizona (especially Tucson) is/are the kidnap capitals of the USA. This is yet another out right lie made of air. A simple review of recorded kidnap cases of Maricopa County has shown there have only been one or two kidnappings during the last six years in Phoenix and none in Nogales or Tucson. Of the two kidnappings, neither had anything to do with drugs. In fact, North Dakota has a higher kidnapping rating. Go North D!

And one of her personal lies she insists is true are the "hurt feelings" she suffered when some clods accused her of being a "Nazi." She countered that such barbs were especially hurtful because her father had died fighting the Nazis. She responded: "Knowing that my father died fighting the Nazi regime in Germany, that I lost him when I was 11 because of that . . . and then to have them call me Hitler's daughter. It hurts. It's ugliness beyond anything I've ever experienced." The facts are that: 1. Brewer's father died in 1955 (ten years after World War II) from lung cancer, 1. His death is believed to be caused from constant exposure to chemicals while working as a civilian supervisor at the Hawthorne Army Depot in Nevada, and 3. Brewer's father never served in the military nor was he overseas during the war.

#14 midlifebear, Sep 6, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  15. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:

Amazing, fabulous post, MLB: thanks for taking the time and effort.

If the Dems can't find anyone who can beat this pathological liar, then they deserve to go down in flames.

16. evilgirlie

evilgirlie New Member

Albums:
    Don't blame the dems in this state for not "finding someone". The problem is that this has consistently been a red state and they vote that way. Trust me there are many of us here that are putting the word out, trying to get people registered, hell even driving folks to the polls.

17. HunglikeaDork

HunglikeaDork Member

Albums:
    Wow, never expected to my states politics in discussion here. Funny.

I take it you live here evilgirlie?

In general, the political scene here seems to be highly corrupt to me, thus i kind of throw my hands up with frustration. :confused:

18. Boobalaa

Gold Member

That's what I was thinkin..gsssh! Arizona?..How Embarrassing..but then again I have the "Govenator"..who pronounces California like Cauliflower..:biggrin1::biggrin1:

19. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    How did Janet Napolitano get elected governor in this "red state"?

20. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    Indie got there first. The first paragraph of Napolitano's Wikipedia page describes her as a Democrat:

Arizona has much in common with Florida politically and sociologically (tons of retirees), and I recognize that it is, indeed, conservative by nature. But, as MLB pointed out, Brewer's a pathological liar who refuses to engage in any more debates (why would she after such an epic fail?) and ducks reporters on tough questions more in the manner of Lindsey Lohan than an elected official.

I stand by my statement that the Dems are a feckless lot if they can't find someone with the brains and balls to defeat her. FWIW, Jon Stewart agrees with me on this.

Draft saved Draft deleted