Arm Dancing

ColoradoGuy

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
"Ther is some classic arm-tossing at about 2:40 of Losing My Religion, but watch how Michael manipulates (and emotes with) his arms throughout the entire video."

I loved this song (and the video) then and I still do. It's hard to believe that it came out nearly 20 years ago. The fancy foot-shuffle at about 2:58 while arm dancing is pretty noteworthy, too.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
"Ther is some classic arm-tossing at about 2:40 of Losing My Religion, but watch how Michael manipulates (and emotes with) his arms throughout the entire video."

lol.... i remember sinead o'connor doing some similar arm movements in her video for emperor's new clothes.... the 1990's sure were a weird (but fun) time for dancing....

No mention of early-90s arm dancing is complete with out this: DIG!

I loved this song (and the video) then and I still do. It's hard to believe that it came out nearly 20 years ago. The fancy foot-shuffle at about 2:58 while arm dancing is pretty noteworthy, too.

That album was a vital part of my life for most of the early 90s. Though I'd appreciated REM before, I really wasn't a fan until Out Of Time.

Back to Siouxie for a moment, one of my fave early songs from the Banshees back when they still had a hard-punk edge is Mirage.

While there's no corresponding contemporary video (it was recorded in 1977), the lyrics are notable for the line:
My limbs are like palm trees
Floating in the breeze
Robert Smith* was the Banshees' lead guitarist still at that point, if I'm not mistaken.

*Note minimal but effective arm dancing throughout the vid after 1:00

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I just found this vid after an evening's work at the bar where I work. Notice all the fucking arm dancing, but the guy at about 2:50 not only arm dancing but combining the leg-kick/hip thrust that separates the amateurs from the pros.

Extra credit for the fact that it's PURE disco. To my ears, this remains the most profoundly Disco (capitol D) song ever recorded (late though it undoubtedly is).

Empathizer

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I ADORE arm-dancing!

I had no idea there were styles or that it was an entity unto itself. I think my favorite kind is the kind they do in Bollywood movies -- each movement, if my Mumbai-born friend is correct, refers to a different facet of love.