Arnold Schwarzenegger For Governor

MisterMark

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I've only voted for a Republican once in my life, but I might do it again now that Arnold is running. My decision is being influenced by Nick Gillespie from Reason Magazine. (Nick is sort of hot as well - I admit that was part of how he caught my attention on C-SPAN.) Here's a link to an article he wrote about 10 days ago regarding Arnold's possible run. At the time, it was looking as if Arnold was probably not going to run for office.

http://www.reason.com/hod/ng073103.shtml

And for the guys and girls who might be interested in Nick and/or his interview where he talks about Arnold, go to:

http://www.c-span.org/videoarchives.asp?CatCodePairs=Series,WJE

Scroll down to the August 3rd Washington Journal and click on "Nick Gillespie, Editor-In-Chief, Reason Magazine".

gigantikok: I love Arnold, I think he is a great guy and strikes me as very honest. Appearances can be deceiving, but he has spent about half his life in the spotlight and never have I heard unfavorable gossip about his daily life and activities.

He might be the first Republican Governor in Cali since... well, forever. Since Reagan, I think.

MisterMark

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Oh boy...how soon we forget!

Pete Wilson was the last Republican Governor in California. He held the office from 1991 - 1999.

Prior to Wilson, George Deukmejian was the Republican Governor of California from 1983 - 1991.

gigantikok: [quote author=Mark_LPSG Admin link=board=99;num=1060230209;start=0#2 date=08/07/03 at 01:16:51]Oh boy...how soon we forget!

Pete Wilson was the last Republican Governor in California.  He held the office from 1991 - 1999.

Prior to Wilson, George Deukmejian was the Republican Governor of California from 1983 - 1991.[/quote]

Sorry, i really don't know that much about California! ::)

Javierdude22: Hey but what happened?

Last thing i heard a few years back was that Arnold eventually would have liked to run for presidency, but that he couldnt, as he was originally Austrian, not born American.

How are the laws on that? Do you have to be born, or is naturalized good enough?

Anduh...Geo8x6...don't vote for a person dude, vote for what he intends to stand for! :)

gigantikok: unfortunately, yes, you have to be American born to lead the United States as president. Unless someone ammends the constitution, i don't think ah-nold will ever become president. A shame for him too, cuz i bet the entire USA would unanimously vote him into office.

I never quite understood why the US had that rule. Ahnold may not have been born here, but who could argue that he isn't anymore American than apple pie? I remember hearing that they require you to be born a US citizen because then you can have no allegiance or unfair bias towards any other country in the world. I guess some people assume that if an Austrian born man, such as Ahnold, takes office, he might unfairly favor Austria. He might donate alot of money to Austria, and so on and so forth.

Other than that, i can't really see any other reason why that law is in place. Not that I totally agree with the potential theory i just talked about. :-/

AnonyMs: [quote author=gigantikok link=board=99;num=1060230209;start=0#1 date=08/06/03 at 22:16:55]he has spent about half his life in the spotlight and never have I heard unfavorable gossip about his daily life and activities.[/quote]Arnold makes Clinton look like a saint ... do not kid yourselves... the tabloids are going to have field day with this.

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
[quote author=AnonyMs link=board=99;num=1060230209;start=0#7 date=08/07/03 at 04:12:01]
Arnold makes Clinton look like a saint ...
[/quote]

Yeah...Saint Kobe.

lttle1: [quote author=Mark_LPSG Admin link=board=99;num=1060230209;start=0#0 date=08/06/03 at 21:14:29]I've only voted for a Republican once in my life, but I might do it again now that Arnold is running.  My decision is being influenced by Nick Gillespie from Reason Magazine.  ([/quote]

That was an interesting article, Mark. But if you, like most Californians, do not normally support Republican politicians, I hope you, and they, will think hard before voting to recall Davis and then voting for the famous Austrian.

First, why would you recall a Democratic governor whom you just reelected? California's problems are similar to most states' problems today and primarily result from the national economy and failed national economic policies. Then add in the chicanery of the corporate-created energy crisis that California is still paying for. Davis has a tough job; that's no reason to recall him just because a well financed radical right minority has exploited the recall procedure to remove a recently reelected governor who has committed no crime or disgraced the state in any way.

Second, if against all reason, a Democrat voted to recall Governor Davis, why would he or she then choose a popular Republican to replace him? Many people like to think they are voting for the person, not the party. But like it or not you are also voting for the party. I hope someone will ask Schwarzenegger whether he plans to support Bush's election in 2004. The answer would probably be yes. If you don't like what the Bush regime has done, then why would you vote for a governor who will help Bush in California and campaign for him nationally?

MisterMark

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Absolutely, little - I agree with you. Everyone talks about what a short time we have before the election, but 60 days in politics can be an eternity, especially with this race, which seems to be changing dramatically with every day that passes.

If Arnold says that he's going to support Bush for re-election, then yes, that will probably be enough to turn me against voting for him.

I'm looking forward to the drama that will unfold over the next 2 months.

MisterMark

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Oh, and regarding the rule about immigrants running for President might be changed in the near future. Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) has introduced legislation that would make it possible for immigrants to run for President of the U.S.

jackinman: [quote author=Mark_LPSG Admin link=board=99;num=1060230209;start=0#11 date=08/07/03 at 11:27:03]Oh, and regarding the rule about immigrants running for President might be changed in the near future.  Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) has introduced legislation that would make it possible for immigrants to run for President of the U.S.[/quote]

Hey Mark if that bill passes and becomes law, I'm moving to Canada. :D I can just see it now, Osama Bin Ladin Jr. III for president and one of Saddam Hussein's decendent's for Vice President.

Longhornjok: Well, one of many bad things working against Davis on this recall is that the election is basically over in 2 months... over, done, finito. No year-long, drawn out, bloodbath with months of tv ads and debates that do or don't happen, just a mini-version of same. One of the reasons a lot of people felt Rep. Issa bankrolled the recall effort from the beginning (and he tearfully withdrew today, probably because Arnold jumped into the race) was so he could circumvent the lengthy nominating process within his own party (which he might never have won) and also avoid a long, potentially embarassing campaign. There will be much less time for dirt and mud to be slug and much less time for it to stick when it is. Unfortunately for voters, there may also be less of an effort to really debate the issues, since I am sure a lot of the candidates would hope to not have to get mired down in the boring details of what they would actually do, since almost any answer on controversial issues is bound to turn off some portion of the electorate. I am interested in learning more on Arianna's stand on issues, along with moderate Republican Arnold's. I hope the media presses the candidates to be amenable to discussing the actual issues so we know where they stand and it doesn't end up being a campaign via Leno and Larry King Live.

MisterMark

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Poor Darrell Issa...I wouldn't have voted for him, but a friend of mine told me that he publicly withdraw his candidacy today while tears were running down his face.  I'm sure he was completely floored yesterday when Arnold announced that he is running.

On the other hand, I've had a couple of doubts about Issa's personal stability.  (the car theft when he was young, getting booted off of an airplane shortly after 9/11/2001, etc.)  I'm not sure that he was really up for the job as Governor.

H8Monga: [quote author=jonb link=board=99;num=1060230209;start=0#13 date=08/07/03 at 19:26:55]Well, Mark, it would have to be a constitutional amendment. Those things take forever.[/quote]

Well it took them from 1789 to 1992 to pass the 27th Admendment...

Wasn't there a movie that took place in the future and mentions Arnold as President?

I think the reason only natural-born citizens of the US can become President is because of the times it was written. I think the founding fathers feared most someone from Britain becoming President. Plus it made sure the country would be run by one of its own. We'd just gotten independence; it wouldn't be right to have someone not born in the US be its leader.

I believe the Electoral College is outdated and its real purpose was to allow the rich, white, male, landowners (people of power) to choose the President instead of common people making our democracy not a true one. Bush wouldn't be President without it. There should be an amendment striking that from the Constitution.

aj2181: I'm not too sure how I feel about a Gov. Schwartzenegger :-/ (did I spell that right???)

They've been talking about him being a moderate, which is a plus. They talk about him being a fiscal conservitive which I don't mind either.

I'm not fond of having movie stars or pro athletes or anyone who could finance their campaign with their pocket change running for office. I think we have enough rich people in politics.

7x6andchg: I'm with Hapi on this one - let's get rid of the electoral college....

Oh Amendments take FOREVER because...if my HS civics courses aren't failing me - doesn't it require that the Congress pass it, and then it goes to the legislatures of each of the 50 states and then 2/3 of those (or is it 3/4) have to pass it too?

Someone was telling me the other day that the 16th Amendment "supposedly" was never ratified so technically the US doesn't have the right to collect income taxes...not that that's a reason I'm going to give the IRS, but..y'know, any port in a storm :D

7x6&C

gigantikok: Hapi brings up a good point, although the electoral college does make it exciting to watch the election day coverage, lol. :D I don't know how I feel about the college. If it is changed, no big whoop, if it isn't, no big whoop either i guess. I don't think people will be so quick to change an over 200 year old tradition.

And although no immigrants can become president because of the politics of the time in which the rule was passed (fear of the Brits taking over again)... I do understand the consern in allowing a foreigner access to our countries secrets and trusting him (or her) to lead us when he/she may have an unfair allegiance to the country he/she was born and raised in.