Aroma therapist/Massage therapist.

BirdinMo

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I am planning on going to school to become an Aroma therapist and Massage therapist (sorry if I did not spell those right) but my friend's/family (not my parents or brothers and sisters, like aunts and uncles)keep telling me to skip that and go for a REAL education. I know I do not have to listen to them and I do not really plan to, but it has me wandering. How much demand is there really for an AT/MT? I have taken a few classes at a local college (I called and ask if I could sit in on a class or 2) and really fell in love with it esp' AT. I have always loved natural healing and all. But am just worried if I spend all this time and money learning all of this will I be able to get a good job?

MarkLondon

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Dunno about a "good job" in the traditional sense (9 - 5, regular salary), but you'd have a skill you could trade on and build your own clientelle and be independant.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
You have to love what you do, You only have one life. I don't know how big the demand is in your area, check with some of the spas where you live. Otherwise think about relocating to where the demand meets your needs.

B_Hickboy

Sexy Member
Media
I am planning on going to school to become an Aroma therapist and Massage therapist (sorry if I did not spell those right) but my friend's/family (not my parents or brothers and sisters, like aunts and uncles)keep telling me to skip that and go for a REAL education. I know I do not have to listen to them and I do not really plan to, but it has me wandering. How much demand is there really for an AT/MT? I have taken a few classes at a local college (I called and ask if I could sit in on a class or 2) and really fell in love with it esp' AT. I have always loved natural healing and all. But am just worried if I spend all this time and money learning all of this will I be able to get a good job?
You'll do better at that than as a writer! Perhaps a big cock website is not the best place to research this...

Dave NoCal

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Talking a number of male massage therapists, a consistent theme has been that establishing a practice is more difficult than for a female. A lot of women don't feel at ease being masasged by a man and even if they are, the men in their lives may not be. Then a lot of anxiously straight men don't want to be massaged by a man. This is not to say it can't be done. It would probabaly be easier in an area with a large, active gay community.
Dave

BirdinMo

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Well I do plan on moving to LA with my sister at the end of the year and going to school out there. Alot more open minded people then where I am now. ALOT MORE. lol.

D_Chaumbrelayne_Copprehead

Account Disabled
Media
Well I do plan on moving to LA with my sister at the end of the year and going to school out there. Alot more open minded people then where I am now. ALOT MORE. lol.

Let me echo the advice you've already gotten.

Follow your passion and figure out a way to make it work.

It's much better to struggle to do something you love, rather than do something you don't care about ... or let family members make your life's decisions for you!

FOLLOW-UP, a few minutes later: Just looked back at an earlier post of yours about hospital stays and medical challenges you've had. You sound like the sort of person who would really empathize with people who've been through tough health problems, and could be a real benefit/blessing to them.

Last edited:

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Check out your State's laws on massage services, licensed or not. New York (the entire State) is famous for vice cops making appointments and then trying to 1. get you to add a sexual flourish to the massage, and 2. arrest you for practicing medicine without a medical degree and State medical license. A licensed massage therapist cannot legally dispense what may be interpreted as "medical advice" to any client anywhere in the USA.

A close friend of mine returned to Long Island after getting legitimate certification in Rolfing, Therapeutic Massage, and then a degree from the University of Utah's sports and dance departments as a professional Pilates instructor. She spent a week in jail just touching the back of a female undercover officer who asked her to "show me where you would think my spine is out of alignment." Rather than pay bail, she stayed in jail for seven days. The police eventually dropped the charges, but that doesn't mean she now doesn't have an arrest record that she cannot get erased.

OCMuscleJock

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The state of California is going to state wide licensing this year. FINALLY. Of course you have to apply and take a test...but once you get your license you can work anywhere in the state. Some places require nationals as well to be hired. I work for myself...so my credentials have to be posted like any Dr's office...I also have professional insurance to cover me as well as the client. I'm a Holistic Health Practioner tho specializing in Neuromuscular therapy and clinical rehab. Massage is the easy stuff for me. Doing specific treatments is my bread and butter...but lately it's the .."OMG the economy sux, job sux, family/bf/gf sux, i need to relax massages." Good therapists are the only ones not getting hit hard by this economy. I've even had my old instructors from college call me and ask if I needed any help or let me know if I had overflow that I could send to them. *not like I would give up my clients that easily.* :) So times are tight now...best bet is to try to get into a VERY expensive hotel or spa in LA. It's a lot different in Orange County.