Arrogant. Why?

goodwood

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
This is something I was thinking about today and have often wondered:

Why are people arrogant? I know more arrogant people than I can count and I take great effort to avoid contact with them if at all possible. Most of them are very accomplished in their chosen profession.
Having known these people personally and many of them before their widespread acclaim, I knew them to be extremely insecure (many of whom were PR clients). With success and adulation, their heads swell from endless compliments and people fawning all over them. It is truly disgusting to see the 'before and after' personalities.

I had always thought people were arrogant because they were 'too good' for other people, but after much thought, I think the most arrogant people are the most deeply insecure. What do you think?

goodwood

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Ok. Well sure anyone can be arrogant because the fucking feel like it and i suppose good for them. Or if the arrogance is fueled by insecurity, frea or ego - i suppose it does not occur that being arrogant is truly ungracious?

jeff black

Expert Member
Media
I think arrogance comes from being very good at a particular thing and not being challenged. When you are that good, you are bound to get a complex. I don't think it has anything to do with an insecurity.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Ok, You have to define arrogance for me. Are you talking about someone who acts like a self-absorbed ,mean condescending asshole? Or are you talking about someone who is self assured? The first is just an asshole who is taking the ass kissing and feeding on it because they were insecure to begin with.
I'll close with something I've said here before. I give the worlds worst first impression. I have been told (by friends) I come off as cold, distant and condescending. I have worked in a profession where you need to put on your game face. But if really know me in the cold grey light of dawn you don't see that, you the me for who I really am.
So are you talking about what you see or what you think you see?

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
And oh, by the way: I don't fucking do why - my friends don't need it, and my enemies won't believe it.

I love it when you are bottoming and arrogant. It is so hawt!

Thinking about Ol' Ralph Fiennes bottoming...gets me hard and drippin'. He is arrogant when he presents it. That is what makes it hawt.

goodwood

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Are you talking about someone who acts like a self-absorbed ,mean condescending asshole?

Yes nudeyorker. This is the behavior I reference. Being self assured and perhaps reserved is another thing entirely. I have also been criticized for presenting a less than desirable first impression for the reasons you mention.

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Ok, You have to define arrogance for me. Are you talking about someone who acts like a self-absorbed ,mean condescending asshole? Or are you talking about someone who is self assured? The first is just an asshole who is taking the ass kissing and feeding on it because they were insecure to begin with.
I'll close with something I've said here before. I give the worlds worst first impression. I have been told (by friends) I come off as cold, distant and condescending. I have worked in a profession where you need to put on your game face. But if really know me in the cold grey light of dawn you don't see that, you the me for who I really am.
So are you talking about what you see or what you think you see?

Nudeyorker--

Well that is at work. You were a really nice person to me online. I haven't experienced arrogance from you.

prince_will

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Arrogance is the just the flipside of insecurity. One and the same, probably.

Oh, i totally agree. Arrogance is usually a dealbreaker for me because it really gets on my nerves. Not an attractive quality at all.

I'm sure when people give you constant adoration and attention like some celebrities, you tend to become that way. Some people even become arrogant after they shine in particular thing, but then you realize that is probably the only thing they have going for them. When some people have that one thing only, they probably get all arrogant as a defense mechanism of some sort.

got_lost

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I think arrogance comes from being very good at a particular thing and not being challenged. When you are that good, you are bound to get a complex. I don't think it has anything to do with an insecurity.

I agree with Jeff Black.
I've met a lot of arrogant people and they do mostly go unchallenged. I don't think they have 'insecurities'.
They might have done at some point in their life but, imo, they've conquered them.
They believe wholeheartedly they are the best and they are not wrong.
They believe in themselves.

There is a fine line, as we all know, between arrogance and confidence.
To me what differentiates them is ego.
You can be confident but still listen to others, show some humility, believe you have the ability to always improve. Whatever allocade they achieve they believe they earned it and are grateful.
Arrogant folk think they've got it all. Anything they have they deserve. It's their right, not their privilege.

That's my take on it, anyway.