[article] here's how often happy couples have sex

..I really don't get how people have sex less than once a week when they're around their partner. Good grief. Typically 7+ times a week with the boyfriend and I. Once a day, sometimes twice a day..............

Trott.lint

Cherished Member
Media
..I really don't get how people have sex less than once a week when they're around their partner. Good grief. Typically 7+ times a week with the boyfriend and I. Once a day, sometimes twice a day..............

Depends so much on the sex drives of the people involved. My long term gf says I'm the only guy who has made her wet before sex and yet it took her 6 months to allow me to touch her, and she complains if I push for sex more than once a week. She openly day's second isn't as important to her as romance, so I've got to guess that there are other women like her out there!

Trott.lint

Cherished Member
Media
She openly day's second isn't as important to her as romance, so I've got to guess that there are other women like her out there!

Sorry, f*+#•ing predictive text... Meant to say: She openly says sex isn't as important to her as romance, so I've got to guess there are other women like her out there.

EllieP

Worshipped Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
We snowball. Six days nothing. Then on the seventh it's "hang on to something." A mini-marathon.

Of course, absence makes the hard grow fonder, and I was told "If I were you I'd brace myself," when he returned from a long trip.

I don't care for calendars when it comes to fun times. It happens when it happens.

I understand there's variation out there, folks. Ya'll don't need to act like I'm ignorant. Just, for myself, even in relationships that were a couple of years old, I've always had a high libido. So while I'm well aware not everyone has a similarly high libido, it's not something I personally experience.

And it's not like I schedule it, going ok, time for sex according to the clock/calendar/whatever. If I'm sick or if I'm on my menses I don't tend to want to fuck. But on average, it's a lot of sex.

Trott.lint

Cherished Member
Media
^ Thats pretty much the reason we have sex only once or twice a week. I'm often first to accuse my gf of not wanting sex but once when we planned a lunchtime rendezvous I couldn't get it up because of work stress! TMI but just goes to show that not only women get affected by work pressures. Having said that, in our twenties we often sneaked home at lunch & bonked pretty much anywhere & anytime that took our fancy, so age clearly plays a part as well.

Reactions: lapdog2001

supersecretlemur

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Valley of the Sun Mobile Home Park (United States)
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
But the article says "A new study finds having more sex and more money doesn't exactly lead to more happiness."

"The findings held regardless of gender, age, or the length of a relationship." and...

"People are basically having as much sex as they want, and for some reason ... [those who do it] about once a week seem to be happier."

Which, like @socalfreak alluded to, I find kind of strange/humorous. The entire article seems to be giving such a broad stroke to ones sexuality needs (no pun intended) that it is fundamentally flawed from the very beginning. At least, IMHO.

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
^ Thats pretty much the reason we have sex only once or twice a week. I'm often first to accuse my gf of not wanting sex but once when we planned a lunchtime rendezvous I couldn't get it up because of work stress! TMI but just goes to show that not only women get affected by work pressures. Having said that, in our twenties we often sneaked home at lunch & bonked pretty much anywhere & anytime that took our fancy, so age clearly plays a part as well.
But that's frequency. Are you honestly less happy together now than you were then?

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Yes, AE. But it's got nothing whatsoever to do with the decline in sexual frequency.
I think all the a
Sorry, Trent. I got a phone call and I guess my cheek sent the message prematurely.

I think all the article was saying is that more-frequent sex won't make a couple any happier. They contrasted it with a previous survey that revealed that a there was an ideal amount of money to make as far as happiness overall was concerned. It was found that too little money created stress, and that there was an amount of money that reduced financial stress enough to improve happiness, but that having more than that amount of money didn't seem to increase happiness any further, and at a certain point there seemed to be a return to being less happy. I think they mean to say the same about sex with this survey.

supersecretlemur

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Sorry, Trent. I got a phone call and I guess my cheek sent the message prematurely.

I think all the article was saying is that more-frequent sex won't make a couple any happier. They contrasted it with a previous survey that revealed that a there was an ideal amount of money to make as far as happiness overall was concerned. It was found that too little money created stress, and that there was an amount of money that reduced financial stress enough to improve happiness, but that having more than that amount of money didn't seem to increase happiness any further, and at a certain point there seemed to be a return to being less happy. I think they mean to say the same about sex with this survey.
But isn't that vastly generalizing?

Sure there is going to be a bell curve to these things, but I still feel like it is making vast swipes at things it shouldn't.

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
But isn't that vastly generalizing?

Sure there is going to be a bell curve to these things, but I still feel like it is making vast swipes at things it shouldn't.
The whole point is to make a generalization. Show me a single paper written about a study or survey that doesn't make generalizations in the conclusion.

Trott.lint

Cherished Member
Media

I agree with the findings insofar as when we were young and frisky and doing it anywhere, anytime, it didn't bother me at all if we didn't do it for 2 months - and that happened quite a bit because I went away for business and at other times my gf was quite sickly. But now that I've changed - needing more spice, variety & lust from her - eventwice a week isn't enough, because those two times to me contain absolutely no quality. Just 5 minutes of vanilla (which is how it's always been) no longer gets me off.

So I agree insofar as the study says more sex doesn't necessarily make you happy - it's the quality! Also, I never felt I needed sex for an emotional connection in my 20s and 30s, but now I find the emotional connection is crucial.

My gf says I'm unusual in that I have a rabid libido. I don't think I'm that bad - especially as I can relate to the study.

Reactions: AlteredEgo

supersecretlemur

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
The whole point is to make a generalization. Show me a single paper written about a study or survey that doesn't make generalizations in the conclusion.
There are generalizations and there is a logical fallacy of hasty generalization. That is my point in asking other's opinions on this as I think that as something as complicated as human sexuality and to conclude that over all ages, walks-of-life, professions, demographics, etc that hey, once a week is normal and will keep the majority of people happy?

To me this article (and maybe by proxy the study) seems like a hasty generalization that quite honestly makes me laugh.