Artist?  Past or Present?

sammygirly: Since we've started the book thread, it's made me wonder who your favourite artists are?

My current favourite is Jack Henslee, link below, fabulous pencil artist of the female form. You've probably seen his work and didn't even know it. This is his lesser known gallery, he's more well known for his mermaids. I've conversed back and forth with him and find him to be a very down-to-earth genius type ;D

http://www.darknsecret.com/home.htm

Also, I'm a big Dorian fan...all you heavy metal fans know Dorian.

http://www.dorianart.com/

Anyone else?

inquiringmind: Hi SammyGirl,

This is one of my favorite topics! Art... let's see where should I start... Gustav Klimt, Henri Toulouse-Lautrec, Balthus, Grant Wood,Thomas Hart Benton, David Hockney, Frida Kahlo, Salvatore Dali, Henri matisse, Giacometti, Giacomo Manzu, Rodin, Hiroshige, Waterhouse, Alma -Tadema, Vermeer, Bosche, Artemisia Gentillesschi, Ingres, Delacroix, Gauguin, This list is endless... As for illustrators... Chris Van Allsburg, Brian Froud, NC Wyeth,Robert Mc Closkey, Garth Williams, The Dillons, Shel Silbertein, Richard Scary, THomas PInckney, Thomas Blackshear, Hillary Knight,Gennady Spirin, Trina Scharf- Hyman, This list goes on and on!!!

Inquiring mind

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
I've always appreciated the warmth of Basquiat. His works make excellent kindling.

Pecker

(I'd Rather Have a Bottle In Front of Me Than a Frontal Lobotomy)

Longhornjok: I'm a big fan of Expressionism. I remember talking my parents into taking me to the Kimball in Fort Worth for a big exhibition and halfway there my Dad said, "wait a minute, I thought you said Impressionism! Are these those moody, jagged scribblings by tortured Germans?!" Sorry, Dad.

One of my favorite artists is Egon Schiele - www.netmint.com/~albina/schiele/ - I was fortunate enough to see an amazing show of his work in Vienna when I was a teenager and it blew me away. His work is brilliant and troubling, which reflected his life. He lost his father to madness, struggled to connect with his mother, had a complicated relationship with his sister, and died at 28 from influenza.

One of my all-time favorite paintings is Conrad Felixmuller's THE DEATH OF THE POET WALTER RHEINER. It's a beautiful, haunting portrait of his friend's suicide leap from the top of a Berlin flophouse. Check this site, 4th painting down from the top: www.paletaworld.org/Pinakes_suggest.asp?pageNo=30

Longhornjok... the dark side! :D

inquiringmind: Hi Longhornjok,

It seems you are a man of the Strum and Drang set! Incidently, Egon Schiele was a friend and contemporary of one of my favorites, Gustav Klimt. If you like Schiele you will like Klimt. He has similar subject matter, but is somewhat less disturbed. I believe that is what Hitler was decrying as "Degenerate art" For a good look at the times, rent "Bride of the Wind". It is set in pre WWI Vienna.

Inquiring mind

Longhornjok: Hey Inquiring Mind,

Of course, I know Klimt! (digression: one of my all-time funniest lines in movies features Klimt) Schiele's death at such a young age really prevented him from creating the breadth and volume of work of his friend Klimt. Of course between the two, I go for the more disturbed one. And if Hitler hated it, can there be a better commendation?!

awellhungboi: I'm really a big fan of German expressionism in films. All those moody, shadowy films of the '20's and '30's that influenced film noir. Pabst, Murnau, Lang, to name a few Or, for non-German expressionism check out the silent Danish classic Haxan! Yowsa!

Pabst's silent classic, Pandora's Box, though, remains the ne plus ultra of German cinematic expressionism in my book.

aj2181: Oh this topic made my mouth water when I saw it!

Now this is a good topic!

My Favorite artists are as follows with the reason.

Rembrandt, because of the light and incredible sense of suffering his works have. It's harder I think to portray suffering than joy.

John Singer Sargent, no one could draw the male form better! His cross between realism and impressionism has always moved me. His water colors are magnificent!

Ansel Adams, Best Damn Photographer Period!

that's just a few :)

Ralexx

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay

I'll be back (the same Schwarzie accent)... Ich habe eine endlose Liste der Künstler... niah, that's too German for Arnie already... :p

Ralexx

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay

My favourite artists:
* Masters :

The Netherlands (Protestant and Catholic alike) - Pieter Paul Rubens (glory, grandeur, opulence, luxurious in lines, in colours, undeniable magnificence of the stages he paints - remember Maria de Medici gallery, or "Allegory for War and Peace" or "Samson and Delilah", the "Fall in Inferno") ; Vermeer ; I will add Anthony van Dyck (even though he can represent England too) - he is so real, velvety, rich ; I have these words for him : resplendence, brilliance, distinction, brightness. The portrait of the Duke of Richmond is effulgent !

Italy - Caravaggio (his light) ; Da Vinci ("Saint Mary, Saint Anna and the Child" is perfect); Michelangelo (breathtaking, spectacular, titanic, he's a force of nature, renders me speechless and in complete awe, veneration, amazement, esteem) ; Titian ; Tiepolo ; Canaletto (ah, the English Dukes of Bedford are so lucky !); Veronese (for his unique Mediterranean colours, shades, tones) ;

Spain - El Greco(divine !) ; Velasquez (the Spanish Rubens, LOL);

Great Britain (& United Kingdom) - Hogarth (for his ironic social themes - "Modern Marriage") ; Gainsborough (follows a bit Van Dyck's lines) ; Constable (for me, a sensitive Byron of depicted landscapes) ;

France - Fragonard, Watteau, Philippe de Champagne and Boucher- for their chromatic choices, tender light, precious lines, delicate, supremely refined subjects ; Poussin and Claude (Gellée) Lorrain - for their penchant for Classic composure and reserve

Modern (1820s-today)

Monet ; Renoir ; Delacroix ;
Van Gogh
(another force of nature, vivid, triumphant, intense, you can caress his images, you can breathe them in, fresh, impetuous, you can live in his canvas) ;
Salvador Dali (mesmerises, surrealism for breakfast, lunch and diner, a double-reality spiced with daydreams, fantastic, extravagant, genius filled with prodigy).

This would be it.

awellhungboi: Hey, did anybody mention Aubrey Beardsley yet? Or how about Gustav Dore, Brughels, Goya, and R. Crumb?

Javierdude22: Great topic!

I have a few painters i really like and who can totally amaze me with what they have done. Mostly they are the popular paintings/sculptures, but, they are popular for a reason of course.

Holland: Although i like Rembrandts Nightwatch, other things he painted do little for me. My favourite is Jan Steen who paints with an enormous amount of humour. He often has himself in the painting, and oftentimes he is drunk and holding a beer (he was a drunk indeed). I love that kind of self-sarcasm.
I think Starry Night by Van Gogh is amazing. Partially maybe because of Don Mclean singing 'Vincent' (great song). But van Gogh in general is great. Other Dutch Masters do little for me.

Italy: I saw the David sculpture in Florence a few times and it amazes me every time again. Its gorgious.
Of course the Sisteen Chapel in Rome is amazing as well. Michelangelo did some astonishing things there. I also like a pianting by Rafael i remembered seeing when i was 16. It is a meeting of several Roman philosophers i believe, and he painted them with precision. I don't know how the painting is called though. I like the history component in every painting in general i guess.

And, coincidentally, the Spanish big ones are my favourites. Especially Salvador Dali and Picasso. I like almost everything by them. Dali's best is Narcissus i think, and Picasso's Guernica because of the tragedy of the Spanish Civil War behind it.

My other favourite is Monet. I saw an exposition when i was in Paris for a few days, and was amazed. Pure beauty, and i love nature so the French countryside is perfect for scenery.

I don't know artists from England or other countries I haven't mentioned, but i'm sure there is tons to find out.

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I was going to try to bring up someone that no one else did, but most of my favourites have been mentioned. There is one notable exception: the great Catalán modernist,Joan Miró. His works move me, though I don't know why. He uses bright colours, and I'm sure that's part of the reason.

aj2181: [quote author=Raal Lexx link=board=99;num=1062461351;start=0#10 date=09/02/03 at 02:33:17]
My favourite artists:
* Masters :

The Netherlands (Protestant and Catholic alike) - Pieter Paul Rubens (glory, grandeur, opulence, luxurious in lines, in colours, undeniable magnificence of the stages he paints - remember Maria de Medici gallery, or "Allegory for War and Peace" or "Samson and Delilah", the "Fall in Inferno") ; Vermeer ; I will add Anthony van Dyck (even though he can represent England too) - he is so real, velvety, rich ; I have these words for him : resplendence, brilliance, distinction, brightness. The portrait of the Duke of Richmond is effulgent !  

Italy - Caravaggio (his light) ; Da Vinci ("Saint Mary, Saint Anna and the Child" is perfect); Michelangelo (breathtaking, spectacular, titanic, he's a force of nature, renders me speechless and in complete awe, veneration, amazement, esteem) ; Titian ; Tiepolo ; Canaletto (ah, the English Dukes of Bedford are so lucky !); Veronese (for his unique Mediterranean colours, shades, tones) ;

Spain - El Greco(divine !) ; Velasquez (the Spanish Rubens, LOL);

Great Britain (& United Kingdom) - Hogarth (for his ironic social themes - "Modern Marriage") ; Gainsborough (follows a bit Van Dyck's lines) ; Constable (for me, a sensitive Byron of depicted landscapes) ;

This would be it.
[/quote]

Geeze is there anyone you don't like LOL :)

Ralexx

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Aj2181, :D, yes, there are painters whose "oeuvres" are simply not in my line. They belong rather to this ridiculous inflation of "abstract art" our lives is invaded by in the last 50 years... (at least I'm already pissed off.) I just hope Dali was right when he said : God gave us the era of the abstract art only to refresh the force of the figurative art. So be it !

hawl: [quote author=Raal Lexx link=board=99;num=1062461351;start=0#15 date=09/02/03 at 23:18:52] Aj2181,  :D, yes, there are painters whose "oeuvres" are simply not in my line. They belong rather to this ridiculous inflation of "abstract art" our lives is invaded by in the last 50 years... (at least I'm already pissed off.) I just hope Dali was right when he said : God gave us the era of the abstract art only to refresh the force of the figurative art. So be it ![/quote] Wow, good for you Raal Lexx! Not to get too "spooky" here for some, and please remember this info has been available since the 60's, when "the Company" and a lot of liberal artsy types broke over the Vietnam War: Raal, are you familiar with the Congress For Cultural Freedom and its artificial boosting of stuff like Abstract Expressionism to counter whatever the Left might favor, like Social Realism for instance? Check out any website discussing Frances Stonor Saunders's book The Cultural Cold War, or discussing the Congress For Cultural Freedom, which has long ago been "outed" as a not-necessarily-evil cultural front for the CIA in their battle to attract peoples of the world through "whatever means necessary" to capitalist democracy, "freedom" etc. rather than communism. Bottom line: abstract art was wildly pumped up with taxpayers' money for a while, and though it may have served a purpose at one point, it still pollutes the general aesthetic atmosphere in a way that has to go. If the modern art world were a stock I'd sell it. You have to at least fool each new generation in a different way! Just be brave, young ones, when you fail to see any deeper meaning in two suspended tires, 3 ropes, and a 40-page exegesis. Beauty will eventually triumph. www.commondreams.org/headlines/031800-02.htm         www.counterpunch.org/brenner01112003.html      www.culturevulture.net/Books/CulturalColdWar.htm

Javierdude22: Phew!!

So i'm not alone in this?! A few weeks ago i read in the newspaper about an abstract art exposition in Helsinki, Finland. It turned out that one country (don't remember which one) turned in a blue tile as their piece of art...

A blue tile!!...the one i have in my kitchen!!...

They layed it on the floor....placed a name for it (and no people...the name was not 'blue tile'...it was something very spiritual...)...and actually mentioned the country it was from.

I was glad to read that even the organisers from the exposition found this to be rather...un-imaginative.

However...i'll bet there we're a buncha ooo-ing and aaaaw-ing people there that found a lotta meaning into that.... blue....tile....

-crack a window and let some oxygen in people!-

(Yes, I ramble)

Dantesco: Im kind of surprised that no on has mentioned Raphael or Giotto. Maybe Im a bit biased, my family being from Florence and all, but those two are among my favorites. Am I alone in that?

aj2181: [quote author=Dantesco link=board=99;num=1062461351;start=0#18 date=09/03/03 at 06:50:49]Im kind of surprised that no on has mentioned Raphael or Giotto. Maybe Im a bit biased, my family being from Florence and all, but those two are among my favorites. Am I alone in that?[/quote]

No your not alone in that Dantesco. Like I said I like other artists as well as the ones I mentioned. Raphael and Giotto are amung the ones I like.