Artist?  Past or Present?

Yowsers: wow!!! i could write a long list of dear friends. who nobody has ever heard of, who create the most miraculous images and never compromise their vision.

But in terms of historically and critically recognized images found in the books, I would say my faves are Dahli, Naguchi, Kahlo, O'Keefe, Maplethorp, and Rodin. Each in their own way, create singular worlds that touch me in way that can't be described in words.

Longhornjok: I just thought I'd add, in terms of contemporary artists, one of my faves is a California artist named Sandow Birk. I first saw his work when I was visiting my brother in L.A. a few years ago. He did a huge series on an imaginary war called "In Smog and Thunder: Historical Works from The Great War of the Californias" in which L.A. and San Francisco clashed for supremacy in the state. It featured paintings with titles like "The Bombardment of the Getty Center" and "The Final Hours of Telegraph Hill" and it was insanely genius (LHJ - hyperbolic? nahhhhhh). He next tackled a series of paintings featuring each state prison in California and is now re-working and illustrating a version of Dante's INFERNO set in the contemporary U.S.

You can check him out at: www.sandowbirk.com

inquiringmind: Please, Jerkin'!
Anyone who was born in the late 60's or had parents alive in the late sixties has probably either heard of him or seen his work without knowing what they were looking at. Also anyone who ever saw "Sargeant Pepper's Lonely Heart's Band" will recognize his inimitable work immediately. I love Peter Max. What a blast from the past!

Inquiring mind

longtimelurker: Just to be really cliche, I quite like Dali's work.

The Tate Modern gallery in London has a 'Room of Perversion' that is always quite interesting - giant penis sculptures and dildos wired up to giant contraptions to make them fuck a brain and the like - someone should tell Geo ;)