As a Homosexual, what needs to change in your country to make you feel equal citizen?

Discussion in 'Relationships, Discrimination, and Jealousy' started by galaxus, Sep 5, 2009.

1. galaxus

galaxus Member

Please list all the things that infringes on your rights as a citizen and what you would change.

2. overninept5

overninept5 New Member

Albums:
    I am hoping it changed the first tuesday last November. We'll see!

3. B_am12388

B_am12388 New Member

The whole marriage thing.

4. erratic

Gold Member

Basically, money, religion and the concept of ownership need to be abolished and forgotten. Short of that, I'll take an end to schoolyard bullying and grown-up homophobic duplicity. It would be nice to hold my husband's hand wherever I want to.

5. arktrucker

Gold Member

Albums:
    To be given the same rights that heterosexuals have.

6. galaxus

galaxus Member

RIGHT! But even I am ignorant of all the rights that I have. Of course you're discriminated against, but the only thing I see that is blatantly dicriminating in America is the inability of same sex marriage.

What else is else isn't the same that can be changed through legislation.

7. bigbull29

Gold Member

Albums:

As far as showing affection is concerned, you have every right to do exactly what heterosexual couples do in public.

Homophobia is still so, so strong in our society. I couldn't imagine any gay male couples holding hands in public where I live. It's just not fathomable.

I'm sorry you can't....but I have hope that someday you will have the chance to express your love for your partner in the public arena.

8. Stephenmass

Gold Member

Albums:
    1. Insurance for your partner if you have better insurance.
    2. Holding hands or kissing in public (not all over each other, etc.) without fear or being bashed.
    3. Being allowed in the hospital room without any family interference.
    4. Ability to go over even to relatives houses and not be worried that you are not a str8 couple; no judgements from anyone.
    5. Not being refused housing when they realize you are gay.
    6. Not being categorized or instantly thought of to be somewhat feminine or somehow inferior simply because you love your own sex (you can love the other too but it's a different kind of love).
    7. I could go on and on.

9. B_mitchymo

B_mitchymo New Member

I want the government which is supposed to operate without religion being involved to grow some proper balls and declare marriage an act between two adults who love each other and want it acknowledged rather than the cow-towing to the church which claim they own the word and so we have to settle for civil-partnership.....bollocks, that is not equality, i want to get MARRIED and i want it called marriage, words do not belong to anyone, they are ours for our use and if the church don't like it then they should invent a new word and use that one. It's a joke!

10. arktrucker

Gold Member

Albums:
    Adoption for instance. In my state they've just passed legislation to prevent adoption by a single person. The thing that sucks with this is how they framed it in the media saying it was to prevent same sex couples from adopting when in actuality it was for 'any' non-married person.
    My partner and I adopted two sons 26 years ago and raised them. Granted the adoption was with out legal papers but the family didn't want them after their mother, our house keeper passed away, they were the youngest of her five kids. They turned out ok in fact we have 5 grandchildren between them.

11. FuzzyKen

FuzzyKen New Member

Fuzzy Ken's List:

1. Equal marriage rights without $5,000 in legal fees to execute numerous contracts to give the same rights that a heterosexual couple gets without question.
    2. Equal spousal rights in the event of the death of one partner
    3. Automatic recognition of relationships and legislated zero descrimination on medical insurance for ALL
    4. Equal inheritance rights and taxation
    5. The right for a non x-rated embrace for my partner without criticism.
    6. Laws against job descrimination based on orientation.
    7. Laws against medical insurance descrimination based on orientation constituting a "high risk group".
    8. Laws on organ donation based on actual health status not on being a member of a "high risk group".
    9. Elimination of DADT and rights of all Americans regardless of orientation to serve their country as they see fit.
    10. Laws protecting friends and families of gay people against individuals who protest at funerals and other hurtful acts simply because some individual was gay in orientation.
    11. Automatic recognition by medical facilities of these relationships and prevention of interference by homophobic family members.

- - - -
    In order to really understand, you would have to see or be around the abuses. My private Attorney for many years contracted HIV in 1989 from a blood transfusion. He had been in a relationship and had because of a thriving law practice done very well. His life-partner of many years and ten years younger in chronological age dropped dead of a heart defect that nobody knew he had. My Attorney had been to a great degree the support of his partner from his far greater income. The family of the deceased came in one week after the death and cleaned out anything and everything they wanted in the home with no regard for the one left behind. They took a new BMW convertible that my Attorney had paid for completely stating that it had been "their son's car".

My Attorney not only loses the love of his life, he now finds that he has to enter into litigation against the family of that person. They were represented by an "Evangelistic Attorney" that kept bringing the Bible into everything. What this man did was in fact not to really win, but to cost my Attorney several hundred thousand dollars over a three year period with games and constant delays. My Attorney as stressed as he was dropped dead on the steps of the Courthouse in downtown Los Angeles four years into a constant battle against these people. If my Attorney's partner had been female and no gay elements existed in this, the family would have instantly been in jail for grand theft and there would have been no litigation other than a criminal prosecution of the rotten individuals in question.

12. invisibleman

Gold Member

I need a man for all this to matter.

13. LongandBigSub

LongandBigSub New Member

I think when you're gay you learn to respect things, like marriage and feeling equal, that others (like heterosexual couples) take for granted. It makes the experience of having it much sweeter.

I also don't need the government to make myself equal.

14. ginger_qboy

ginger_qboy Member

Albums:
    um... nothing really. Canadian society doesn't infringe on the rights of homosexuals.

I can marry a man, live 'common-law' with a man, allocate a male as my spouse for dental and drug benefits at work, a male couple can file taxes together... the list goes on.

not all individuals agree with the equal rights granted to homosexuals but those that do disagree are the minority!

I'm happy to live in a liberal society where ALL individuals are guaranteed freedom from discrimination due to ethnicity, race, religion, sexual orientation, disability, gender, age, etc... thanks to the Canadian Human Rights Act

15. AZNEWGUY

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I never realized how open minded it is up in Canada. I might have to go visit

16. D_Harry_Crax

D_Harry_Crax Account Disabled

Actually, most Americans have no idea how second-rate this country has become in every important way except the quality of our universities and the quality/size of our military. For example, look at the First Amendment, and then square that with Freedom House ranking freedom of the press in the U.S. as only 16th in the world, while Reporters Without Borders ranks the U.S. 38th. More depressing stuff is at: Ranking America. But today's good news is that the U.S. leads the world in corn production!!!

17. thadjock

Gold Member

Albums:
    two things:

1) for the president to sign an executive order repealling DODT

2) a federal marriage law that includes everybody under the definition of the word.

18. B_mitchymo

B_mitchymo New Member

I think you must be happy to settle with what you've got then. There are gay people in parts of the world which really could benefit from having their government on side.

19. Guardian100

Guardian100 Member

Nothing, the labour government has done more for the rights of LGBT in this country than any other party.

Under the tories, m/m consent was 18 while everyone else's consent was at 16, Labour changed it to 16

Labour introduced the civil partnership to the UK

The British Army activly supports it's gay troops and heavily defends their rights.

Now have the same adoption rights as everyone else.

It's now a crime to publicly spew any anti-gay hate speach (well any hate speach actually, anti gay, racist, misogynistic) you can get up to 8 years in prison if you do.

The vast majority of the british public are now gay friendly, 10-15 years ago it was pretty much the opposite.

The stigma that used to exist has almost evaporated it's insane, I can't believe it's the same country.

20. blurijdad

blurijdad New Member

I am gay and I hate - absolutely hate - 'anti-hate' speech laws. Nor do I support
    doubling the punishment if it is considered a hate crime ( by the way, my gay partner was murdered five years ago ). You can't fry a murderer twice regardless of what hate thoughts are in his head. There is absolutely no proof that hate laws have a deterrent effect. You cannot legislate love, hate, equality, fairness or decency.
    I hate tribunals deciding what is and isn't offensive like they have in Canada.

If you are offended, prove it in court. Otherwise do not limit freedom of speech.
    Besides, I'd rather someone just get it off his chest rather than act it out.
    Political correctness is invidious, corrosive, and the beginning of the end of our freedoms. All totalitarian societies begin with political correctness.
    All you do-gooders please spare me of your "good intentions."

Draft saved Draft deleted