As Dollar Drops, UK Peeps Shop in US More.

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Principessa, Dec 18, 2007.

1. Principessa

Gold Member

These two articles ran the same day in the New York Times last week. . I found them interesting but at the same time troubling. I have been aware of the decreasing value of the dollar in the world market for many months now. Yet the problem didn't really resonate with me until I read, Paid in Dollars, Some Americans Are Struggling in Europe. Money Goes Far in New York, if YouÂ’re European

My tips for those planning trips to the United States just to shop:
    If spending time in NYC, rent a car and visit New Jersey! New Jersey does not tax clothing or shoes. Accessories such as jewelry and handbags are taxed but at only 7% as compared to 8.25 % in New York. Elizabeth, Newark, and Jersey City are urban renewal areas and tax is only 3.5%

2. Big Del

Gold Member

Of course you have to be careful not to get pinged for import duty if you bring too much shopping back to the UK.................

Those customs boys love raising revenue

3. B_New End

B_New End New Member

A weak dollar sucks.
    everythign just gets more and more expensive for Americans.

yeah, we may sell more overseas, and make more money, but that money loses it's purchsing power, so we can't buy anything wiht it.

Inflation hits the poor and middle classes the most.
    And it enriches bankers the most.

4. No_Strings

Gold Member

During one single month before I came over to the states, GBP to USD fluctuated from 1.9 to 2.25.
    At least from first impressions, the US cost of living seems much cheaper than in the UK and I'm surprised at how little tax there is on some things.

Draft saved Draft deleted