As Texas Dumbs Down, So Does the USA

Discussion in 'Politics' started by midlifebear, Feb 12, 2010.

1. midlifebear

Gold Member

The most influential State Board of Edjumacation in the USA is the Texas Board of Edjumacation. The content of the MAJORITY of K1 through K12 textbooks used by all other boards of education throughout the USA is decided by the 15 "good christians" who make up the Texas Board of Edjumacation -- or more properly, edjumakashun. So, if anyone is interested in knowing why so many 'Mericuhns are dumb as bricks I suggest you take the time to read the linked article on how Texas decides how history is rewritten and then taught to the rest of the majority attending public schools in the USA.

It's beyond Orwellian. And it's true. The publishing companies that create the textbooks for USA public schools don't really have any sense of telling the truth or reality -- their bottom line is selling books. And christian mega churches don't care for anything that might not be in goose step with what the charismatic, child-molesting (see Holy Crimes thread) pastor or whatever their particular "spiritual leader" may be pushing.

How Christian Were the Founders? - NYTimes.com

It's a long article (more than most LPSG-ers who think "right is might" are able to read). But if you slog through it, you just might find yourself feeig a bit unsettled and maybe a bit pissed..

Enjoy.:smile:

2. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    I read ALL about that and it made me so angry I couldn't see Straight!.......Oh wait, I'm not straight.........It made me so angry I couldn't see GAY!

A Majority of the Citizens of the USA may be Christian but the USA is NOT a Christian Nation..

"The fastest growing religion (in terms of percentage) is Wicca -- a Neopagan religion that is sometimes referred to as Witchcraft."
    Religious identification in the U.S.

3. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
    That was an amazing article, MLB. Amazing and frightening.

Now, how can I put this delicately? I fuckin' hate the religious right. Yeah.

4. B_mitchymo

B_mitchymo New Member

That is pretty interesting actually because there was a news feature just recently here about the sudden popularity of wicca. I wonder what could be inspiring such an interest in old pagan ways.

5. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yes, I started reading that this morning whilst having a dump. The devil dodgers are insidiously taking over. As she said, “The philosophy of the classroom in one generation will be the philosophy of the government in the next.”

Dumber and dumber.

6. nudeyorker

Gold Member

I got bounced after page five because I would not accept a pop up ad for Billy Elliott The Musical. I read enough to make me sick to my stomach.

7. houtx48

Gold Member

the taller the hair the closer to god.....................nuf said

8. W/In 1 Stand Dev

W/In 1 Stand Dev Active Member

This is just an off the cuff...top of my head thought.... I know when I was in high school, I wasn't, or we weren't taught word for word from the textbooks. In actuality, I would sometimes wonder what the other sections of the textbooks were that we never got to. :confused:

And there were times when the teacher had his or her own handouts that they had printed up and taught off that.

This is just a stretch here, but I have to imagine how much gets taught verbatim out of the textbook could be based upon how tight of a grip the state education department and the teacher's union has on the curriculum.

All the more reason for me to home school my kids, instead of subjecting them to 6 to 8 hour a weekday social engineering tax payer funded indoctrination sessions. :tongue:

A state funded education is one of the planks of Marxism. Look it up if you don't believe me. :wink:

9. quercusone

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    You're Welcome....haha!....Luckily/ Hopefully, many school districts in other parts of the country are starting to transition to electronic books.

10. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

I especially (dis)like the person in the photo who has the sign that says, "Teach founding principles... not Hip-Hop". As if the culture that is Hip-Hop, which stems from the roots of the poor, the urban and slavery, should not be taught to youth. As if people should not know where they really came from, how their ancestors had to struggle to make our country, their neighborhoods or even their own family what it is today... as if we shouldn't make our future generations aware of past mistakes so they're not doomed to repeat them and prevent them all from progressing forward.

Yeah... ignore all of that. All you have to do is sit around and "pray", right? :rolleyes:

Hip-Hop is a LOT more than just the latest T.I. or 50 Cent album. The music that generates from a culture is just one of many voices from those that live it. You're not supposed to agree with all of it. You're supposed to question or challenge the things you find a particular problem with. You don't go around thinking someone else's culture is the problem. You also don't define an entire culture based on what you hear on the radio or watch on TV. Until these fools realize this, they'll never realize just how socially ignorant their rants really are. And hell... I don't even play most rap records anymore!!

Let's just hope they're the right ones.

#10 B_VinylBoy, Feb 12, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  11. W/In 1 Stand Dev

W/In 1 Stand Dev Active Member

Vinyboy wrote:

What is your definition of "right"?

Eh?

12. maxcok

Gold Member

I feel compelled to point out that the majority of Christians are not Evangelicals or other super conservative wackos pushing their belief in Jesus, moral/thought restrictions etc. on society. Some Christian denominations and congregations are actually quite socially/politically progressive, i.e. United Churches of Christ, many Episcopalians, even many self-governing Congregationalists, who ironically trace their roots to the American Puritans. The Unitarian/Universalist Church, perhaps the most progressive mainstream denomination of all, although non-creedal and not Christian, counts many Christians among its membership, also Buddhists, Jews, Aetheists, Agnostics, Wiccans, etc. I have found many friends and many allies for social/political causes in the ranks of these and other denominations over the years.

Conservative Christians get undue attention and have much too much influence over public policy - like the ones on the Board of Education and the arch conservatives who have sadly taken over the Boy Scouts of America, also headquartered in Texas, btw. But I think it weakens our protest and creates alienation with Christians in general to lump them all together and blame them for the ignorance of a minority. It's similar to the stereotype imposed by those whose only impression of gay people comes from watching Pride parades full of drag queens and leather daddies on the 10 o'clock news.

I don't have a dog in this fight. My spiritual house has many windows, and I like looking through all of them. Even here in the Bible Belt, I know many who belong to very conservative denominations, but are quite accepting, free thinking and progressive in their beliefs. Most self-professed Christians that I know go about practicing their faith quietly without imposing it on others. I realize this may rankle some, and it may be a matter of semantics, but I think it is a noteworthy point of distinction. Perhaps it would be useful to isolate those on the fringe. Perhaps we could refer to those wackos as 'conservative' Christians, or some other distinguishing apellation.

Open to suggestions here, just my two cents.

13. ZOS23xy

Gold Member

Albums:
    freedom from other people's religion is what should be considered.

14. maxcok

Gold Member

Freedom 'of' and freedom 'from', as our forefathers intended.

15. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:

This is truly where the battle lines have been drawn in the campaign to indoctrinate the next generation.

All of the textbook publishers in the nation take their cues from the biggest market, and that's Texas...so whatever this group of 15 nincompoops decides should be in the state's curricula for K-12 for the next decade, so shall the rest of the nation's schools be affected.

16. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Ones that tell the reader accurate information based on facts.
    Ones that don't try to hide or discourage other people's ideals.
    Ones that tell history from may different angles, including from the viewpoints of those who didn't win the wars.

Ones that don't ignore science. It existed WAY before "liberals" or "conservatives", nor does it have any political alliance.

One that don't try to force or entice any child into any particular religion. It's not up to our public school systems to teach any form of biased, social or cultural agenda... that even means Christianity. And before the zealots get crazed... I AM A CHRISTIAN.

Ones that teach to embrace difference, to not be afraid to ask questions, and to honor people with respect.

Ones that really put into perspective what faith is, and explain how one uses faith AND fact together to prove theories.

And above all... ones with lots of pretty pictures. I hate books with no illustrations!! :biggrin1:

Beyond all of this... I'd recommend poetry. LOTS of it.

#16 B_VinylBoy, Feb 12, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  17. maxcok

Gold Member

:laughing:

(Don't tell anybody, but I'm a little bit in love with you right now.)

18. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Within every serious discussion, a little humor must fall. Glad you know how to catch it, maxcok. :wink:

19. midlifebear

Gold Member

Having grown up in a State that is less a democracy than it is a theocracy, we should all be very concerned about the Texas Board of Educations' 15 "sweet spirits" deciding what is and is not allowed in the majority of text books used by "47 to 48" of the 50 States in the USA. Can't tell you how many times I was told by public teachers in the Beehive State how my life would be so much better "If only you would accept the TRUTH of the book of mormon and all it teaches." Yeah, In a pig's eye.

20. maxcok

Gold Member

But I like poetry and pretty pictures. I thought you did too. :frown1:

Maybe I'm not in love with you after all.

Draft saved Draft deleted