As You Were So Helpful Last Time

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by SpoiledPrincess, Jan 14, 2008.

1. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

I made a thread the other day asking for advice on online photo storage, I didn't put it in the technical help section as I feel that isn't checked out very often.

This time I'm asking for advice about something I'm unsure even exists. Is there anywhere online you can store your mp3's, I've previously backed them up on disk but when I came to reload the disks some of them didn't work, I'm not so keen on the idea of external drives because I'm bloody hopeless with computers. Is there anything like photo bucket but for mp3's.

If it's a daft question be gentle with me, I have a hard time with computers :tongue:

2. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

3. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Time to get over your fears, love. External HDs are the best bang for the buck in terms of price per megabyte and reliability of medium.

They've made them fairly idiot proof these days...only two plugs. One goes to the wall for power, and the other goes into the computer.

Plug it in, power it on, and you're done. The PC will recognize the new drive and do all the setup that needs to be done...the external drive will show up as the next letter of the alphabet in "My Computer." (The drive inside your PC is usually "C" and your CD/DVD drive is usually "D", so the external drive will likely be "E.")

You create folders and drag-n-drop files to it exactly the same way as you do with the hard drive that's inside the machine.

4. snoozan

Gold Member

carbonite.com is cool.

5. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

I'm a bit scared of trying anything new with computers HG because all my 'experiments' in the past have ended in disaster :)

Thanks Manly & Snooz I'll have a look at those.

6. viking1

Gold Member

I agree. I have my whole hard drive cloned to an external drive. I also have a DVD-RAM drive that I back up my photos and music to disk on.
    I want double safety. I have learned my lesson twice with hardware failures.

7. cyberczar

cyberczar New Member

Amazon S3
    Carbonite
    Mozy
    Dreamhost
    Bandwagon
    NearlyFreeSpeech.net (just use the FTP service)

But seriously, how big is your library? I have over 30,000 songs and all of mine fit on an external hard drive. All the music I *play* fits on my iPod.

8. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

Burn all your pics on a DVD and store them that way. Its very fast and easy to do.

9. B_ScaredLittleBoy

B_ScaredLittleBoy New Member

I've used MediaMax, they've kept files for over a year now, not that I use it anymore.

External Drives are good. Just plug and play ie you plug it in and it works. With most of them. Depending on how many songs you have, an 80GB drive might suffice. We use a 80Gb USB Fujitsu 'Handy Drive' that doesn't need drivers on XP and has 15,000 songs on it. We have another 400GB Maxtor USB drive for Karaoke songs (45,000) that doesn't need a CD either.

I wouldn't use online storage myself since the site could go down or the server could crash, lose data etc.

I myself am going to get a Seagate 500GB eSata drive which has a 'backup' button on it although I'm not sure how it works (if you can choose folders to back up for if it just checks the 'My Documents' folder etc).

I'm not sure if you'd have to pay for extra capacity on those online sites too unless they have unlimited storage (not sure)

PS the Handy Drive is powered by the PC so needs no external power supply although most others will.

USB drive is the way to go.

10. B_stanmarsh14

B_stanmarsh14 New Member

Something like this would be perfect for what you are asking: Freecom Classic 3.5" External USB2.0 Hard Drives - SVP

Always best to go for as big of a drive as you can afford.

Simple plug N play, just two wires to worry about... USB and power.

11. dong20

Gold Member

Id Drive online backup is OK. It even integrates into Windows explorer.

IDrive features complete hands-free automated online backup application

Free for up to 2GB. After that there's a small charge. I'm sure you can find a free service with bigger capacity, but as with many free services, they're free for a reason.

An external HD is only a backup if you have an additional copy on your main drive or CD/DVD disc because drives do fail and CD/DVDs do become unreadable!

12. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

It's not really how big it is, I'm not a huge downloader, but it's how hard some of the songs were to find. From what people have said my best bet is probably some sort of external storage device, but I'd still have worries that that would somehow not work. My son recently left home and having him around always made me lazy with computers, it was much easier to get him to do things for me than work them out myself.

Thanks to the people who replied :tongue:

Draft saved Draft deleted