Ask a white guy anything..

musclemonkey5

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Because, seriously, "white men" have no "culture" whatsoever. I mean, what kind of a question could I possibly have to ask you? :rolleyes:

A common flaw in thinking. Just because we are not a minority, our culture is viewed often as neutral and anti-cultural, or drawing only on the influences of other cultures. Any main block of white culture is seen as in opposition to minority cultures as we attempt to preserve it.
If you seek understanding, listen to the music, not the words. But I will answer your question tomorrow, for I am tired.

B_Nick8

Cherished Member
Media
New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
A common flaw in thinking. Just because we are not a minority, our culture is viewed often as neutral and anti-cultural, or drawing only on the influences of other cultures. Any main block of white culture is seen as in opposition to minority cultures as we attempt to preserve it.
If you seek understanding, listen to the music, not the words. But I will answer your question tomorrow, for I am tired.

Buddy, I am your "culture". So don't think too hard on this. I guess I could be considered a particular subsection of your "culture", but seriously, the category of "white guy" is so broad as to be ridiculous.

And finally: Deep, oh so deep.

B_Nick8

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Nope, I don't know about where you are but I learn a lot about white men and culture just from watching tv and living amongst y'all.

I'm sorry to say this, nj, but of all the people on this board, I'm the least surprised to hear you say that.

Wish-4-8

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
What is "white people food"?
Black people have soul food.
Mexicans have Mexican food.
Etc.
What do white people eat? (seriously I have always wondered)

Wish-4-8

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Speaking of culture, what kind of music hits home? For example, I was talking with a Mexican-American. He said that even though he was born in the USA, the sounds of the trumpets from a mariachi band cuts deep into his soul to bring a tear to his eye. I know what he means.

As a whiteman, do you have something like that?

Wish-4-8

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
As a whiteman, are you always self concious that people are going to think you are a racist? Do you constantly watch what you say around non whites? Do you carry any "white guilt"?

Wish-4-8

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
What did you do at your school for multi cultural day? The word white is so broad. Do you identify with any group? For example, are you Irish, Austrailian, French, UK, Jewish, etc?

B_Nick8

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight

What do white people eat? (seriously I have always wondered)

Oh, C'mon, you know, like shepard's pie, meatloaf and mashed potatos, Campbell's mushroom soup, those kinds of things. Then we go out and it's Chateau briande and chicken cordon bleu and steak au poivoire with a nice Merlot. These things are all written in stone. Just ask nj. She's been studying up on it.

Wish-4-8

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
What do you think of the word "white trash". Personally, I didnt get it until someone explained it. Heck, I dont know what "spic" means either.

Anyway, how are you offended if someone else calls you this?
And do white people call each other that as a term of endearment the way black people use the "N-word" to each other?

Wish-4-8

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Oh, C'mon, you know, like shepard's pie, meatloaf and mashed potatos, Campbell's mushroom soup, those kinds of things. Then we go out and it's Chateau briande and chicken cordon bleu and steak au poivoire with a nice Merlot. These things are all written in stone. Just ask nj. She's been studying up on it.
No, I dont know. And I felt like a dumbass at a pot luck when I was asked to bring cranberry sauce for the turkey. I asked "What is cranberry sauce?". Everyone looked at me like I was from Mars.

B_Nick8

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
No, I dont know. And I felt like a dumbass at a pot luck when I was asked to bring cranberry sauce for the turkey. I asked "What is cranberry sauce?". Everyone looked at me like I was from Mars.

Oh, for the love of god, every white guy knows what that looks like: it's still round and has the ridges on it from the can. And that's even in the best of families.

Wish-4-8

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Oh, for the love of god, every white guy knows what that looks like: it's still round and has the ridges on it from the can. And that's even in the best of families.

Uhhh, I aint white.
And where the hell is the OP. He should be answering these questions!!!

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm sorry to say this, nj, but of all the people on this board, I'm the least surprised to hear you say that.
:confused: I'm not sure if that was an insult or you being facetious. Of course I have also gleaned much of my info about white men by dating them. One might say my knowledge was gained by injection. :naughty:

Black people have soul food.
Mexicans have Mexican food.
Etc.
What do white people eat? (seriously I have always wondered)[/QUOTE] If it's a sandwich it has to have mayonnaise, lots of mayonnaise. :biggrin1: Other than that I'd say a white persons favorite food is often something their mom made particularly well or maybe something from their ethnic heritage. :rolleyes:

Speaking of culture, what kind of music hits home? For example, I was talking with a Mexican-American. He said that even though he was born in the USA, the sounds of the trumpets from a mariachi band cuts deep into his soul to bring a tear to his eye. I know what he means.

As a whiteman, do you have something like that?
The Beatles, The Beach Boys, The Rolling Stones, Pat Boone, Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby, Bob Dylan, anything with banjos. :lmao:

Are some of your best friends really black? It seems like every whiteman says that.[/QUOTE] :rofl: tee hee hee you're just being silly now. :tongue:

What did you do at your school for multi cultural day? The word white is so broad. Do you identify with any group? For example, are you Irish, Austrailian, French, UK, Jewish, etc?
Uhmm, what's multi-cultural day? We never had that at any of the schools I attended.
:confused:

What do you think of the word "white trash". Personally, I didnt get it until someone explained it. Heck, I dont know what "spic" means either.

Anyway, how are you offended if someone else calls you this?
And do white people call each other that as a term of endearment the way black people use the "N-word" to each other?[/QUOTE] No, they do not. For the record it's only the uneducated, thugged out, ghetto hoodrats that call each other the 'N' word as a term of endearment.:mad:

Where did you grow up? Bizarro World? How can you have never heard of cranberry sauce? I've never been to India but I know what chutney is. :rolleyes: :confused:

Wish-4-8

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Where did you grow up? Bizarro World? How can you have never heard of cranberry sauce? I've never been to India but I know what chutney is. :rolleyes: :confused:[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

You are black. You have probably adopted alot of American culture. I was born here, but growing up, I was never expose to these "white customs". The party was always at our house so I did not really get that exposure. It wasnt until college when that incident with the cranberry sauce happened.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You are black. You have probably adopted a lot of American culture. I was born here, but growing up, I was never exposed to these "white customs". The party was always at our house so I did not really get that exposure. It wasn't until college when that incident with the cranberry sauce happened.
A lot? Yes, I am black but I am as American as apple pie. Heck, my family was probably here before the Kennedys. :biggrin1:

You say 'white customs' as if all white people eat fried worms with ketchup and wasabi mayonnaise. :lmao: I think that most of the white customs which perplex you are actually cultural or ethnic in origin.

The neighborhoood in which I grew up was mostly people whose grandparents came here from Italy, England, or Ireland. There were also a lot of Jews whose grandparents came here from Poland, Germany, France, Russia, and the Ukraine. We had one Arab family, one Greek family, two Puerto Rican familys, and one Asian family.

My house was the Kool-Aid house that all the kids liked to play at. BUT I also played at other kids houses. I learned from their mothers and grandmothers how to make marinara sauce from scratch, as well a tzatziki, spaetzle, and how to set the table for shabbas. Maybe it's a chick thing, maybe I was just nosey. I just don't understand being born here or coming here at the age of 10 or so and not picking up on this stuff. :confused:

FWIW: My grandparents and great-grandparents were born here. I'm also part Cherokee, and part Irish, hence my feeling that I am as American as apple pie.