Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Could you tell me about painterly technique? Who developed it?
-That's actually an incredibly vague question...are you asking who invented painting or who developed a particular style?

I'm so relieved. Crescendo and I were about to embark on a rescue mission.

Don't sleep through your history classes; there's a lot you can learn from the masters, though you may not see the direct bearing on your work right now. The most valuable art lessons I've learned come from visiting every art museum I can and studying the works for hours. Art museums are like temples to me.
-It's not ALL my art history classes I sleep through...just this one :p I'm not opposed to the viewing of the artwork, it's just that the professors can be so droll D:

Yeah, clearly with you not being very bright, you would have to rely on the clever mod people to decide where your thread belongs...
]Anyway as the clever mod people have decided your thread is a joke....
]Is Art Major your real name or a made up one? :tongue:
-Not only is everything you've written irrelevant, it's also based in your own ignorance. My name is not Art Major, I am AN art major. I go to university. I have a major. Said major is Art. I don't believe that logically starting a post about something miscellaneous and putting in the "ETC" category counts as a lack of brightness (unless you count the time I've now wasted responding to your post).

Pablo Picasso's Blue Period or His Cubism period. Why is one better?
-Neither period is "better," per se. His blue period was a powerful exploration of a dark and deep-rooted emotional space as well as a great political statement in its time. His explorations of cubism helped push art past yet another boundary we thought to exist, therein opening infinite new possibilities for artists to follow.

In art, I OFTEN find it difficult to classify things as "better." There are usually pretty strong arguments made for anything.

How'd the exam go?
I'll find out in 3 hours :D

What is the strangest place you've ever painted?
Or are you boring and stick to canvas?
-"Boring" is such a strong word. Just because a painting isn't done on the bottom of a schoolbus or on the tops of 147 bald men's heads doesn't mean it isn't interesting.

Quality of the work aside, no- I have not painted on anything other than canvas (with the exception of a mural I started at my house that was never able to reach fruition because we moved).

Last edited:

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
-Not only is everything you've written irrelevant, it's also based in your own ignorance. My name is not Art Major, I am AN art major. I go to university. I have a major. Said major is Art. I don't believe that logically starting a post about something miscellaneous and putting in the "ETC" category counts as a lack of brightness (unless you count the time I've now wasted responding to your post).
Do you realize Catch was being facetious? Do you believe, as I do, that intelligence, imagination, and a sense of humor are valuable, perhaps essential, to being a successful artist?

-It's not ALL my art history classes I sleep through...just this one :p I'm not opposed to the viewing of the artwork, it's just that the professors can be so droll D:
Do you know the meaning of droll?

Last edited:

schwulboy1989

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Hello Mr Art Major, is it a prerequisite of anybody studying art to be rude pompous and humourless or is it something that you have to study as the first module?

I challenge you to read your original post as if you didn't know who you were. I don't believe it's a lack of humour to misunderstand your intentions. Unfortunately, wit doesn't always translate well on the internet.

That being said, I apologise for the way I handled myself. I overreacted and made an ass of myself.

Do you realize Catch was being facetious? Do you believe, as I do, that intelligence, imagination, and a sense of humor are valuable, perhaps essential, to being a successful artist?

Intelligence and imagination are more complex than simply having it or not, and in many ways so is having a sense of humour. What's funny to me may not be to the next guy, but that doesn't necessarily make one of us humourless. It simply means we think differently.

I believe that an open mind, a knack for questioning, a willingness to experiment, and the perseverance to challenge one's self to find answers or create new ones are important to being an artist.

Do you know the meaning of droll?
Yes.

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
Intelligence and imagination are more complex than simply having it or not, and in many ways so is having a sense of humour. What's funny to me may not be to the next guy, but that doesn't necessarily make one of us humourless. It simply means we think differently.

I believe that an open mind, a knack for questioning, a willingness to experiment, and the perseverance to challenge one's self to find answers or create new ones are important to being an artist.
Do you think you displayed these qualities in your response to Catch?

k . . . :rolleyes:

schwulboy1989

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
:tongue: Thank you!

I try my best :D Red and yellow are my favourite...blue tastes really bad...

...I really shouldn't know any of that D:

What's your favorite "movement, ""period" or "style" of art?

I'm really interested in the Baroque period right now...the stark contrast between lights and darks is something I'm interested in for my own work...

I'm also a big fan of David Febland...he's recent, so definitely look him up :D

I find myself very much attracted to drawings and paintings with really expressive marks, so I suppose I'm also interested in Expressionism...but not nearly as much as Baroque painters like Georges de la Tour.

schwulboy1989

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Is a graphic designer who works with a Mac/pc, and doesn't draw with his "hands" anymore still an artist?

It's still an art form, and it can certainly still require a great amount of skill...as long as it's done with the same intent and integrity.

If you think about it, art is simply a form of communication. I do it with painted images on a canvas. A graphic designer does it with logos or advertisements. It's a different means to the same basic end :)

The biggest difference, of course, are the goals. I don't want to be a graphic designer, because that's not how I want to communicate ideas. I also don't want to solely work FOR people...I may be wrong, but I feel like graphic designers don't get to do a lot of personal work...it's usually commissions...Please correct me if I'm wrong :D

schwulboy1989

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
What do you think the Venus De Milo would look like with full arms?

that would depend ENTIRELY on what she was doing with them :p

What about your experience sketching a nude male model?

I've taken 2 Figure Drawing classes, and am currently in a Figure Painting class...I'm faster at drawing females for some reason, but with enough time/patience, a male is also no trouble, really...if you PM me with your email, I can show you a few examples of works I've done.

THAT'S TOO COOL!!! I wish she'd been drawn holding something interesting, though, like a badger or a stick of mining explosives :banana:

schwulboy1989

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Seeing as this is lpsg, have you ever painted with your penis? And if so, what were the results?

I have not, because the paints I work with are very toxic, and I'd like for Mr. Johnson to not fall off :p I'm afraid to even finger paint with it, despite my professor's best efforts...(he does it all the time, and he's almost 50, but he's also kind of a loony bin :eek:)

This guy does it all the time. You can even commission your own portrait for a mere $75.

Judge for yourself: His sprawling website

I have seen him before! It's amazing that he gets such good likeness so quickly using one...tool...and despite the lack of maneuverability...It's astounding, really :D

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
I have seen him before! It's amazing that he gets such good likeness so quickly using one...tool...and despite the lack of maneuverability...It's astounding, really :D
I wonder if he achieves different 'strokes' according to his degree of tumescence?

As an aspiring painter, I think you should inquire of him and report back.