Asking about women's ages...

RLSteve

Experimental Member
Media
Okay, so I know it is generally not in good taste to ask a woman how old she is.

But what if you ask somebody else how old a woman is? Is that still bad manners?

I was talking with my roommate today. It was his father's birthday, and I said, "So, your dad is 75 today?" And he said yes, and then I asked, "So... your dad is about six months younger than your mom?" And he said, "It's rather rude to be discussing my mother's age."

I was baffled. I had NEVER EVER heard of it being bad manners to ask somebody how old another woman was. I talked with a few people in my family about this, and they were surprised that my roommate thought the question I asked was bad manners.

Opinions, anybody?

voidout

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Okay, so I know it is generally not in good taste to ask a woman how old she is.

But what if you ask somebody else how old a woman is? Is that still bad manners?

I was talking with my roommate today. It was his father's birthday, and I said, "So, your dad is 75 today?" And he said yes, and then I asked, "So... your dad is about six months younger than your mom?" And he said, "It's rather rude to be discussing my mother's age."

I was baffled. I had NEVER EVER heard of it being bad manners to ask somebody how old another woman was. I talked with a few people in my family about this, and they were surprised that my roommate thought the question I asked was bad manners.

Opinions, anybody?

Depends on the person, and I also think it depends on how close you are with your room mate.

Mikayla

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I dont get why is it rude to ask about woman's age and not about man's age. It's just a freakin number! :biggrin1: I dont care if someone asks about my age.

Enid

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
I love getting asked my age, I will gladly tell it.
I don't really see why what you said is rude, but I guess that guy's family is a bit more prim & proper when it comes to that stuff.
I know one person in particular whose family is like that -- well the mother is very touchy about her age being brought up. She was a socialite though so I always attributed it to being from that kinda background.

Last edited:

MissPretty

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
It depends...but a lot of times it is rude. If you're asking somebody about someone else, that doesn't seem to bad but be careful asking straight up. Especially if you have just met. Not good...

molotovmuffin

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
the roomy is embarrassed that the mother is older than the father.... moot point

Im 49 <<< see it says so over there!!! end of discussion lol

Wish-4-8

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I love getting asked my age, I will gladly tell it.
I don't really see why what you said is rude, but I guess that guy's family is a bit more prim & proper when it comes to that stuff.
I know one person in particular whose family is like that -- well the mother is very touchy about her age being brought up. She was a socialite though so I always attributed it to being from that kinda background.

Only because you are hot! (that dont count) :wink:

voidout

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
i was always taught it was rude to ask ANYONE'S age. man, woman...if their your elder, you do not ask. :shrug: only when it comes to your elder, however.

it's like seeing a person older than you (no matter what age), and there are no seats left to sit. i automatically get up, and ask them if they'd like the seat. it's just out of respect for someone older than you.

it almost goes back to a tribal way of thinking...elders come first. simple as that.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
This may seem a bit redundant but why is it rude to begin with?

Off the top of my head?

1) There's an implicit judgment in whether or not someone has aged well;

2) Asking suggests an unwelcome familiarity (it's none of your business);

3) Up until very recently (and even so), older women were considered inherently less desirable by society;

4) A woman's life experiences were (and still are) held in lower esteem than those of a man's, so age was a woman's burden but a man's wisdom;

voidout

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Off the top of my head?

3) Up until very recently (and even so), older women were considered inherently less desirable by society;

4) A woman's life experiences were (and still are) held in lower esteem than those of a man's, so age was a woman's burden but a man's wisdom;

+1.

D

deleted213967

Quid about the scenario wherein the lady demands that you guess her age?

My advice:

1. Run, do not walk.

Alternatively

2. Subtract 15.63% from the age you think she is.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Off the top of my head?

QFT! Well stated as usual. :cool:

I don't want to go off topic, but lately my mom has been perturbed by acquaintances and strangers asking her a similar question. My mom is 79 and my father is 81. My mom could pass for 50 in a heartbeat. My dad on the other hand is in the advanced stages of Parkinson's. He no longer walks but shuffles with the aide of a rollator. Sometimes he drools and he has trouble speaking. Yet they manage to go to the local senior center three days a week. Last week a rather rude woman whom she had only spoken to once or twice before asked if that man she came with every day was her father or her husband? :yikes: Mom was aghast! When she told me I was horrified at the womans rudeness and audacity. It seems to me and mother agreed, that she should have quietly asked one of my mothers closer friends at the center. More importantly, why did she need to know? :irked: :confused:

D_Ivana Dickenside

Sexy Member
Media
it's not a big deal to me whether or not someone asks how old i am. i like making people guess because no one can ever get my age right (i'm 23 btw). asians, like myself, hardly age anyway and at the rate i'm going i'll probably look the same way i do now when i reach age 33.

on the other hand, a lot of women consider the age question rude because they want to be seen as youthful and not as old hags. they all know they're getting older but often have hang-ups about accepting it.

voidout

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
it's not a big deal to me whether or not someone asks how old i am. i like making people guess because no one can ever get my age right (i'm 23 btw). asians, like myself, hardly age anyway and at the rate i'm going i'll probably look the same way i do now when i reach age 33.

on the other hand, a lot of women consider the age question rude because they want to be seen as youthful and not as old hags. they all know they're getting older but often have hang-ups about accepting it.

ugh. SO jealous. asian women (in my opinion) have the BEST skin, and do age incredibly well. in every aspect of aging, not just your face.

i've said it for years, and i'll say it again...
if i ever go lesbian, i'm strictly for asian chicks.

SR_Blarney_Frank

Experimental Member
Media
I was taught that in some cultures, it is rude or disrespectful to ask someone how old they are or discuss age.

I've found it to be typically opposite of that. I spent a good amount of time in Asia and inevitably the first two questions I was asked - by total strangers - were 'how old are you' and 'are you married'

Regardless, at a certain age there's no sense in being coy any longer. Hoping people think you're 75 if you're really, say, 78 is a bit silly