Asperger’s Syndrome is a neurological disorder

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Without wishing to throw my mojo down on this thread it's a shame that her fellow contestants seemed to use her as a source of amusement rather than an opportunity to well, act like humans and show that a 'disability' isn't in itself a bar to success, or even common decency.

Such programmes usually seem to bring out the very worst in people. Of course that's the intent after all, it's good TV. It's just a shame it seemed to be at the expense of someone who clearly had more courage and was more deserving of respect than the rest of them put together.

On that theme, it's indicative of the cynical and unpleasant nature of such 'reality' TV today (if we are to believe Ms Kuzmich that she wasn't teased much) that the positive interactions with her fellow contestants were edited out and the negatives edited in. If true, the programme makers are feckless charlatans and should hang their heads.

This is based on the post alone. I've seen the programme once or twice as I've scanned the channels - it makes me want to whack their spiteful empty little heads with a wet fish or a 2 by 4, whichever falls to hand first.

That said, to end on an upbeat note; it's good she did well before being eliminated. Let's hope that despite the best efforts of a media seemingly focussed on negativity the profile raising leads to a lasting change in peoples attitudes about this and similar conditions.

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I'm almost embarassed to admit it, but America's Next Top Model is one of my guilty pleasures. That show is like Crack for me. I was rooting for Heather. She is absolutely gorgeous. But she was eliminated last week. :mad:

here are some pics of her;

Attachments

Dorian_Gray

Cherished Member
Media
As a child of 10, I was diagnosed with aspergers from St. Vincents in Birmingham, AL. Beginning high school my grades were horrible, then the doctor from St. Vincents wrote a letter to the sp.ed teacher at my school. They then wrote up and IEP and gave me access to "assistive learning technologies". From that point on my grades shot up and I'm at where I'm at today. I think that if the doctor hadn't diagnosed me, I would probably be flipping burgers all day for the rest of my life. With that being said, I still have social stigmas that I have trouble with. Like in chat a little while back, someone called it "The Little Professors syndrome", Jason had to explain that one to me, I'd actually never heard it before.:rolleyes: But my area that I "focus" on is a little different than most aspergers cases I've read about, being that I focus alot on physics, namely radiophysics and quantum electronics. I'm actually moving this December to Auburn, AL to Auburn University, to major in wireless engineering.

B_ScaredLittleBoy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Interesting. I've wondered if I have Asperger's Syndrome...I don't like to look people in the eye, or call them by their names...but it could be some unrelated 'disorder'. Interesting article, however :smile:

Guy-jin

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
ROTFLMAO Typical scientist :tongue:

Hey, I resemble that remark. :tongue: I realize I sounded like some kind of stuck up ass after I saw the first reply, but it never even occured to me that it would be interpretted that way. :smile:

Most of the general public doesn't know what autism or the autism spectrum are.:rolleyes::redface:

You really think so?

It's such a relatively common condition that it would be nice if it would be taught about in school.

As for what Snoozan said, I actually have the same concern about all these people who are being diagnosed or are self-diagnosing themselves as having Asperger's. Being an introvert isn't Asperger's, but people who are socially awkward have learned about Asperger's and see it as a way of understanding their own condition, even though it's very different. I do wonder if there aren't a number of therapists out there who don't really understand that Asperger's is literally a form of autism and not just a fancy name for an introverted personality.

The concern is especially present because of the example she gave--ADHD. A few years ago, it seemed as if every child who had trouble in school was getting diagnosed with ADHD. Like Asperger's, ADHD is a specific condition with a specific pathology, and getting bad grades or having trouble paying attention is not the same thing.

Anyway, I feel for people who are introverted and want to find an explanation for their own personality, which they may not like very much. But Asperger's is not the catch-all explanation, and any treatment that might be imposed is not going to be the same.

snax

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
How can you blame that woman for getting distracted around models and fashion types? They're all mostly boring and stupid to such a point that you could easily notice some paint drying and find that more interesting.

Stuff like this makes me wonder if the definition of "disorder" is anything that separates you from the majority. I mean the vast majority of social stuff is arbitrary bullshit that needs to be ignored anyways, sounds like Aspergers is just natural skill rather than some debilitating disorder. That is, unless you really want to be a dumb normie, but eff those people anyways. Fitting in is overrated. Personally I would prefer to call it "not giving a shit about dumb people and their dumb bullshit". Aspergers seems to me to be more of a judgement by dumb normies who care too much about bullshit that doesn't matter.

And eff ADHD. The tests they give to kids in public school to test for it take like 2 hours. And the test is really boring, just like the vast majority of the school day. Just about anyone can be called ADHD if they're bored in school.

Tattooed Goddess

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
Snax that weas sheer Einstein what you just said. I want to be Snax when i grow up. I swear, if you were over at my house right now, i'd just have to fuck you for being so damn perceptive! Thats the only way i could express my emotion over what you just said....

How can you blame that woman for getting distracted around models and fashion types? They're all mostly boring and stupid to such a point that you could easily notice some paint drying and find that more interesting.

Stuff like this makes me wonder if the definition of "disorder" is anything that separates you from the majority. I mean the vast majority of social stuff is arbitrary bullshit that needs to be ignored anyways, sounds like Aspergers is just natural skill rather than some debilitating disorder. That is, unless you really want to be a dumb normie, but eff those people anyways. Fitting in is overrated. Personally I would prefer to call it "not giving a shit about dumb people and their dumb bullshit". Aspergers seems to me to be more of a judgement by dumb normies who care too much about bullshit that doesn't matter.

And eff ADHD. The tests they give to kids in public school to test for it take like 2 hours. And the test is really boring, just like the vast majority of the school day. Just about anyone can be called ADHD if they're bored in school.

Agree completely about Asperger's and ADHD. Future generations will look back at us and marvel at our hysteria.

BigDuder

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
everytime i read about asperger' i get really worried that i have it. then i realize that it is just because i had bad skin as a teenager and still have lngering selfesteem issues from that.

jack65

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hello

both my wife and i noticed that our boy had started being some what with drawn and had at lest two complisive habits, by the age of 3 he would not eat anything that he had not smelt and approved off.

We took him to the doc's and after 6 months he finaly agreed to referr us to a child doctor that has knowalge in this feild, with a letter that said ( we sore it later) "i'm sending these parents to you because they believe there son has mental problems, but i believe it to be them, please feel free to call to talk about it".

so here we are at the doc's he looks at our boy and looks at the letter, then hands it to us and said the doctor you seen is a idiot ! this boy has at lest 3 complsive habits that i can see in the 5 mins youve been here, i'm sending you to a doc that can find out what is going on but i think the child has some type of autisem .

he also wrote to the 1st doc and got up hiim ( he wrote the letter and showed us before we left)

after a year ( once a week, every week) of going to the mental health clinic we were told yes your boy does have a problem, the problem is that he has aspergers which in it self is not to bad considering we have caught onto it early but the main problem is how to bring him up,
He is in his early teens now and it has been hard for every one but most of all for him as he knows that there's something diffrent but to him he feels "normal" but some poeple are crual and will say things to him if he dosn't quite get some thing that was said or because of a habit.

you can tell a real aspergers person a mile away, just like a real ADHD person.

I'd like to say so much more but i'll leave it as this as i would fill the whole forum on this alone.

playainda336

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Greensboro (North Carolina, United States)
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Yeah. I wouldn't have even thought to go get tested if not for the fact that one of my teachers referred me to the place.

I think the thing about things like Aspergers and ADHD, is that people despise the labels so much that they'd do anything to prevent the label being placed on them. The fact of the matter is everyone has a thing that makes him or her "tick". When that thing is found, you can not only better understand yourself, but the world around you as well. While I'm not totally sure, I have aspergers, I'm happy that I know about it and view the world in a totally different light than I did before.

Guy-jin

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
you can tell a real aspergers person a mile away, just like a real ADHD person.

So true.

That's why I'm a bit saddened at these two conditions in particular being overdiagnosed to the point of not being taken seriously by some people anymore.

People who actually have them face some serious challenges, and hardly need the added challenge of their condition not being taken seriously because of ubiquitous, needless diagnoses.

Another that comes to mind is RLS (restless leg syndrome). It's a real disorder, but everyone who has a pain in his or her leg thinks they have it nowadays because of the advertisements for the medication that treats it on TV.

Anyway, thanks for your post and good luck to you and your family!

str82fcuk

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight

So true.

That's why I'm a bit saddened at these two conditions in particular being overdiagnosed to the point of not being taken seriously by some people anymore.

People who actually have them face some serious challenges, and hardly need the added challenge of their condition not being taken seriously because of ubiquitous, needless diagnoses.

Another that comes to mind is RLS (restless leg syndrome). It's a real disorder, but everyone who has a pain in his or her leg thinks they have it nowadays because of the advertisements for the medication that treats it on TV.

Anyway, thanks for your post and good luck to you and your family!

Thank you Guy-Jin for making these very important points.

It is very frustrating to me that some people with money, and some doctors who want money, latch onto labels like they are fashion items ...

and then people like me who have the real thing have to battle to get anyone to take us seriously ...

actually I don't bother battling, because trying to explain autism to non-autistics is like trying to explain gayness to straights, so it is more sensible just to stay in the closet about it most of the time ... if I meet one or two interesting gay or autistic people online to chat to thats already more than can reasonably be expected ...

if I had money I might go to the USA to see if any of the 'experts' could actually offer me any useful advice but I am poor and live in canada where medical 'care' is free but unavailable so I just have to continue figuring things out for myself as I always have

in any case I don't really think I need any kind of assistance except in trying to deal with the 'norms' (as some of us call the ordinary neurological majority) ... because really it is the majority of people, and the majority of 'doctors', who need help to become more accepting and understanding of minorities, both sexual minorities and neurological minorities

Remember that, "Aspies have a difficult time connecting emotionally with others.":rolleyes:

Yeah right.:mad:

I am feeling very very sad right now after reading this ....

I cannot find words sufficient to convey my condolences ....

I am sure you will have to grieve long and hard in your own time at your own pace. Having some witnesses to your grieving process at some times may help you to eventually come to terms with this devastating loss. In the mean time I am sure you should not care what other people think because nobody else can feel your sorrow or tell you how to feel it .... although you may be surprised by how many people are affected by it and how many people wish you and your wife well at this difficult time ...

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
if I had money I might go to the USA to see if any of the 'experts' could actually offer me any useful advice but I am poor and live in canada where medical 'care' is free but unavailable so I just have to continue figuring things out for myself as I always have

Huh? What country do you live in?
There's lots of treatment for people with Aspergers here in Canada.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Thank you Guy-Jin for making these very important points.

It is very frustrating to me that some people with money, and some doctors who want money, latch onto labels like they are fashion items ...

and then people like me who have the real thing have to battle to get anyone to take us seriously ... I know what you mean. I have been told I present well. When I go to get help for my depression and anxiety issues no one wants to take me as a patient; because I don't look crazy enough to need help.:mad: actually I don't bother battling, because trying to explain autism to non-autistics is like trying to explain gayness to straights, so it is more sensible just to stay in the closet about it most of the time I'm sorry you feel that way. :frown1: ... if I meet one or two interesting gay or autistic people online to chat to thats already more than can reasonably be expected ...

if I had money I might go to the USA to see if any of the 'experts' could actually offer me any useful advice but I am poor and live in canada where medical 'care' is free but unavailable so I just have to continue figuring things out for myself as I always have. I may be wrong on this but I thought Asperger's had no cure. Some places here offer socialization therapy and coping skills classes. Unfortunately they are few and far between. :redface: My cousin is almost 7 and was diagnosed with Asperger's at 5 and a half. His mom is a devout Baptist and has refused the free clinincs/tutoring which would help him. :mad::frown1: I watch him and I see the symptoms and know the pain and ridicule he will endure in his life and it makes me sad. I wish I could adopt him and get him the help I know he needs.:redface:
in any case I don't really think I need any kind of assistance except in trying to deal with the 'norms' (as some of us call the ordinary neurological majority) ... because really it is the majority of people, and the majority of 'doctors', who need help to become more accepting and understanding of minorities, both sexual minorities and neurological minorities
True!

snoozan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I may be wrong on this but I thought Asperger's had no cure.

It doesn't. A lot of Aspies don't even want it seen as a disorder but just as another way people can be wired.

Some places here offer socialization therapy and coping skills classes. Unfortunately they are few and far between. :redface:

It depends on the state, but at least here my son has access to some of the best care in the country provided for free by the state. As far as we can tell so far he's not Asperger's or autistic, but he needs some developmental help and it's been very easy to get. For a child who was formally diagnosed with autism or Asperger's, the services would be made available to them just as much as they have to us. Most states and local school districts have early intervention programs that start as early as infancy, and when the child gets into school, they are provided with different services as needed. So far we haven't had to submit any of his testing and treatment to our private insurance. The state has a vested interest in these early intervention programs because by the time a kid gets to school and hasn't had these problems addressed, they have gotten much worse and are much harder to correct in a school setting.

The programs are out there, but you've got to be resourceful as a parent. If I hadn't been insistent on the testing with his pediatrician, my son probably would have never gotten into the program he's in. I'm glad I made a nuisance out of myself because my son is getting a lot of enrichment that can't hurt him and so far seems to be helping him a lot.

My cousin is almost 7 and was diagnosed with Asperger's at 5 and a half. His mom is a devout Baptist and has refused the free clinincs/tutoring which would help him. :mad::frown1: I watch him and I see the symptoms and know the pain and ridicule he will endure in his life and it makes me sad. I wish I could adopt him and get him the help I know he needs.:redface:

This is a shame. When my husband and I discussed it, we decided to go ahead with the therapy even though in some ways we don't think there's anything wrong with our son. We believe that some kids just develop differently or are just different people, and we're proud of our son for being who he is. However, eventually he's going to have to function in a world where things are standardized and where kids have to all learn in the same way, so to excel he'll need the skills that these kinds of therapy provide. It's not about God, or making the kids into something they aren't, or big brother, but getting them so they can function in the (imperfect) society and education systems we have in place.

str82fcuk

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Remember that, "Aspies have a difficult time connecting emotionally with others.":rolleyes:

Part of the problem is that aspies are hyper (over) emotionally sensitive. I pick up other people's emotions very easily and it is often so overwhelming that I have to put up a barrier in order to protect myself. I also have to wear ear plugs a lot of the time because my hearing is so painfully acute.

Huh? What country do you live in?
There's lots of treatment for people with Aspergers here in Canada.

I really do not feel any satisfaction in 'dissing' Canada in an international forum such as this but I would point out that Le Journal ran a story recently about how 36% of people in Quebec have no access to a General Practitioner. Among immigrants the percentage of people without a primary care physician is almost double that. Of course there are hundreds of doctors in Quebec who would like to take on patients, but because they studied medicine in foreign countries (like France for example) they are not allowed to practice and so they drive taxis instead. ... I got my diagnosis in Toronto five years ago when I did have a GP but he was practically illiterate in English so nothing further was even discussed. I did manage to obtain a copy of my diagnosis however. In any case here in Quebec I have essentially no access to basic medical care except after a long wait in dire emergencies. I do recognise, however, that the situation is different for second or third generation canadians who have managed to build up the necessary networks to access what is available.

It doesn't. A lot of Aspies don't even want it seen as a disorder but just as another way people can be wired.
It depends on the state, but at least here my son has access to some of the best care in the country provided for free by the state. As far as we can tell so far he's not Asperger's or autistic, but he needs some developmental help and it's been very easy to get. For a child who was formally diagnosed with autism or Asperger's, the services would be made available to them just as much as they have to us. Most states and local school districts have early intervention programs that start as early as infancy, and when the child gets into school, they are provided with different services as needed. So far we haven't had to submit any of his testing and treatment to our private insurance. The state has a vested interest in these early intervention programs because by the time a kid gets to school and hasn't had these problems addressed, they have gotten much worse and are much harder to correct in a school setting.

The programs are out there, but you've got to be resourceful as a parent. If I hadn't been insistent on the testing with his pediatrician, my son probably would have never gotten into the program he's in. I'm glad I made a nuisance out of myself because my son is getting a lot of enrichment that can't hurt him and so far seems to be helping him a lot.

This is a shame. When my husband and I discussed it, we decided to go ahead with the therapy even though in some ways we don't think there's anything wrong with our son. We believe that some kids just develop differently or are just different people, and we're proud of our son for being who he is. However, eventually he's going to have to function in a world where things are standardized and where kids have to all learn in the same way, so to excel he'll need the skills that these kinds of therapy provide. It's not about God, or making the kids into something they aren't, or big brother, but getting them so they can function in the (imperfect) society and education systems we have in place.

My one nephew has a similar condition but unfortunately the 'crazy' gay uncle (moi) has no input in how the poor child is raised. I try to give him whatever attention I can but it makes me sick to hear my family 'praying' for a 'cure' to 'fix' his 'disorder'.

Really what I would like to get, if it was available, would be tips on how to deal with 'normal' people. I do not believe there is anything 'wrong' with me, but a lot of the things that 'normal' people expect or take for granted are utterly mysterious to me. I was diagnosed with simple autism when I was 3 but nothing was done about it then either. Fortunately I am fairly 'high functioning' so I manage to cope ... just ...

If I had money I would move to New York and get everything checked as I have gone my whole life with practically no medical attention for anything ... I am also pretty sure that I could learn a few useful 'people skills' if I ever got such an opportunity

str82fcuk

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Quote:
and then people like me who have the real thing have to battle to get anyone to take us seriously ... I know what you mean. I have been told I present well. When I go to get help for my depression and anxiety issues no one wants to take me as a patient; because I don't look crazy enough to need help.:mad:
Yes I get that a lot too and not only for this issue either ...

actually I don't bother battling, because trying to explain autism to non-autistics is like trying to explain gayness to straights, so it is more sensible just to stay in the closet about it most of the time I'm sorry you feel that way. :frown1:
well I have other things to do with my life and I dont have enough tim to beat my head against a brick wall continuously. Of course I do spend a lot of time here at LPSG talking about all kinds of things because there is just the right balance here of anonymity, moderation, and receptiveness.

I may be wrong on this but I thought Asperger's had no cure. Some places here offer socialization therapy and coping skills classes. Unfortunately they are few and far between. :redface: My cousin is almost 7 and was diagnosed with Asperger's at 5 and a half. His mom is a devout Baptist and has refused the free clinincs/tutoring which would help him. :mad::frown1: I watch him and I see the symptoms and know the pain and ridicule he will endure in his life and it makes me sad. I wish I could adopt him and get him the help I know he needs.:redface:
You are right. There is no 'cure'.

really it is the majority of people, and the majority of 'doctors', who need help to become more accepting and understanding of minorities, both sexual minorities and neurological minorities

True!

:)

njqt, in replying to your post I have deduced that you do not use the quote button on the bottom left but habitually cut and paste instead, and this makes your posts (and this post) difficult to read. Using the quote button is quite easy. I think there is a thread about it on the help page. :tongue:

playainda336

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Greensboro (North Carolina, United States)
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Dude...most of the stuff they can do for people with asperger's is done during earlier developmental stages of youth up until high school...after that they don't offer too much. As far as I know, at least.

It's not so much that Aspies don't have emotions, it's just that they don't easily pick up on social cues.