Asperger Syndrome.

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by rivenoriven, Dec 4, 2007.

1. rivenoriven

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Anyone know a great deal on Aspergers Syndrome. I'm wondering if I have it or maybe I'm just an introverted shy/quiet introvert, noting too abnormal.

Heres a symptoms list and how it relates to me:

• Abnormal nonverbal communication, such as problems with eye contact, facial expressions, body postures, or gestures
      -I've noticed that when I talk to people I can make eye contact but I can't keep it, I always look away nervously after a few seconds.
    • Failure to develop peer relationships
      -I can only make friends with people who talk to me and are friendly, after a while of getting use to them I can become more outgoing with them to an extent, mostly with guys as I'm shy with most girls.
    • Being singled out by other children as "weird" or "strange"
      -I'm always considered to be weird or odd, but I probaly bring it on my self, since I like being weird.
    • Lack of spontaneous seeking to share enjoyment, interests or achievements with others (a lack of showing, bringing, or pointing out objects of interest to other people)
    • Markedly impaired expression of pleasure in other people's happiness
      -I usually don't show much pleasure or saddness for other people.
    • Inability to return social or emotional feelings
      -The most I can do is laugh at something funny, show some excitment and smile sometimes. I can't show anger or sadness.
    • Inflexibility about specific routines or rituals
      -Usually when I make a schedule for myself (most of the time) I like to stick by it; leaving home at the same time everyday
    • Repetitive finger flapping, twisting, or whole body movements
      -I move my hands alot and touch things for no reason, if somewhere were to be looking at me they would think I have OCD, which I don't believe to be true.
    • Unusually intense preoccupation with narrow areas of interest, such as obsession with train schedules, phone books, or collections of objects
      -I become very fascinated with weird things and do a lot of research on whatever subject it is. I also think I can become obsessive with things too sometimes.
    • Preoccupation with parts of whole objects
      -Not too much
    • Repetitive behaviors, including repetitive self-injurious behavior
      -I'm always playing with my hands in some way or whatever is in my hand
    One thing I noticed about myself today that might relate to this is that whenever I see a girl I'm intrested, I do become shy and nervous and I can never remember what goes through my head during the situation. Today I relized that as much as I'm intrested in the girl theres nothing going through the mind thats stopping me talking to her or even telling me to talk to her. Sorry if that makes no sense and thank you for all who've read this and can possibly help.

2. Guy-jin

Gold Member

Albums:
    Seems like you're just a shy guy.

Asperger's has some specific attributes that you don't seem to display from what you described.

3. grandunification

grandunification Well-Known Member

Albums:
    It sounds to me like you may suffer from social phobia, something that I am just starting to get over with. You might see my post asking people to help me with it.

I think one of the main things with asperger's is that you are not able to tell if someone has a sad or happy face. Are you able to distinguish between a happy and sad face?

4. B_Mademoiselle Rouge

This is something Aspies can struggle with more in toddlerhood and younger years. My daughter had no way of distiguishing my moods no matter how i talked to her, smiled, frowned, etc. Since then she has gotten very perceptive to whats going on and is learning to read between the lines. She still misses some obvious things, but has come a long way.

This disease can improve for people with proper interaction and therapy. So not being able to read facial expressions is just a typical symptom noticed when a young child isnt able to comprehend the obvious based on social cues.

OCD, ADD, ADHD can be tied closely with people with Asperger's.

I know if people could have diagnosed Asperger's back when i was a kid, i would have been the poster child! My daughter mainly suffers from sensory issues, as do i.

5. rivenoriven

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Thank you guys for your response. I appreciate it. Also if this helps I have an above average IQ, I'm confident that I am an intelligent person without any learning disabilities, but when I have to do physical work I'll feel like an idiot sometimes (doesn't always happen) because even though I just learned what to do it doesn't quite work out all in my head. Also, not sure if I throughly explained this in my first post, I can't fully feel compassion or remorse for people, even my close friends and family. For whatever reason, and as much as it fascinates me, I can't understand how other people think or feel.

And relating to the last part I wrote about me and girls, anyone understand that and can maybe explain whats wrong with me on that?

Thanks again.

6. B_Mademoiselle Rouge

Doctors and people in the science related fields= more people with this disorder. They are very matter of fact, cerebral, and dont let human emotion stand in the way of what their job requires.

As for IQ, high functioning autism (Asperger's) is Autism for normal and above normal IQ's. Learning disability doesnt equal being retarded or slow. The neurons/synapses in the brain easily get in a traffic jam and learning and communication can be very difficult, and much more difficult to express how you feel about something.

Many more people have this disorder than we could ever pinpoint. There are varying degrees of Asperger's and its only one side of the Autism Spectrum.

7. snoozan

Gold Member

Your post made me think of Temple Grandin. If you're familiar with AS, I'm sure you know who she is, but for everyone else, she is probably the most notable person out there with High Functioning Autism or Asperger's Syndrome. She's truly an amazingly intelligent scientist and a very poignant writer, and I recommend her books to anyone.

The only real diagnostic difference between High Functioning Autism and Asperger's Syndrome is language delay. Asperger's children tend to have a much better grasp on language than kids with HFA. As you've said, if you are autistic or Asperger's, your IQ can be below average, average, or above average. Savantism (like the character Dustin Hoffman played in Rain Man) is seen a lot in autism, but it's somewhat rare.

My husband is 40 years old and he's most likely Asperger's, but the diagnosis wasn't around until 1994 and by the time one becomes and adult, most people with Asperger's have leared to function well in general society. I have some of the sensory integration problems that people with autism and Asperger's have.

To the OP: One thing that has to be taken into account is that being socially awkward doesn't make you Asperger's. If you are an Aspie, you're probably socially awkward, but there are plenty of people who are simply socially awkward. You also have to understand that the clinical descriptions of Asperger's are for children, not adults, and that can make things very different.

In the end, it doesn't matter anyway. Autism and Asperger's Syndrome aren't "cureable" and all that really matters is that you figure out a way to make a niche for yourself in life and be fulfilled.

Draft saved Draft deleted