Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I’ve been a hiker all my life. My calves and thighs are in great shape but my ass is a whole different story. Any time I’ve done squats, with or without weights, I only ever feel it in my thighs. It seems like it does absolutely nothing to my cheeks. I’ve watched countless tutorials and videos so I’m confident my stance is correct. But is it just a normal thing? Like, is the muscle pain for butts just so subtle that I don’t notice it? I’m told I have a great ass but thats usually while I’m wearing something tight that squishes all that jiggle into a shelf but when I’m naked there’s no shelf. Just two flat tear drops lol

all advice is appreciated. I’m willing to sign up for a fitness app but it seems like each one has terrible reviews. H A L P !

hzs3fg

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Hiking isn't going to do a lot for your glutes unless a significant part of it includes steep climbs and descents.

Stair machine is a good place to start. Maximize the effect by double-stepping to really extend your glutes. I also prefer to toe-step, that is, land on the treads with only my toes and the ball of the foot to maximize strengthening of the ankle and lower leg muscles.

Reactions: deleted3155011

ronin001

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Cammer
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Are Perfect Glutes in Your DNA or Your Workout Routine? | ISSA

Training and working hard to achieve a certain body look can be frustrating. A lot of newbies to fitness and training are surprised to find that a ripped body is not a given. All the hard work in the world won’t give you the same body as someone else, because we all have unique DNA.

Glutes can be particularly problematic. Some people have genes for today’s idealized backside: round and substantial. Others are more likely to have a flat bottom, no matter how many glute-squeezing workouts they do.

The truth is that not everyone will get what they consider the perfect glutes unless their genetics make it so, but that doesn’t mean you can’t make some progress with training. Eat right, strengthen the glutes, and anyone can get better, if not perfect, glutes.

Good luck

cockwitch

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Are Perfect Glutes in Your DNA or Your Workout Routine? | ISSA

Training and working hard to achieve a certain body look can be frustrating. A lot of newbies to fitness and training are surprised to find that a ripped body is not a given. All the hard work in the world won’t give you the same body as someone else, because we all have unique DNA.

Glutes can be particularly problematic. Some people have genes for today’s idealized backside: round and substantial. Others are more likely to have a flat bottom, no matter how many glute-squeezing workouts they do.

The truth is that not everyone will get what they consider the perfect glutes unless their genetics make it so, but that doesn’t mean you can’t make some progress with training. Eat right, strengthen the glutes, and anyone can get better, if not perfect, glutes.

Good luck
I’m mexican. I have the genes lol

Dave NoCal

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Okay, I'll chime in. It is important to understand that the butt is made up of two major muscle groups, the gluteus maximus and the gluteus medius, The gluteus maximus is larger (therfore maximus) and is the lower part of the butt that responds more to squat-like activities such as stair steps and such. The gluteus medius is upper and outer and is the muscle in which they give (or should give) injections. When they are well-developed, they provide that "shelf" look. They do not respond to squat-like movements very much at all. They are activated by pushing the legs back, pushing the body up from a lying, knees flexed position, and similar movements. They are more difficult to develop because we can walk, run. climb without activating them much at all. But there are specific exercises that will help and there is quite a bit about this on YouTube. Just search gluteus medius.

cockwitch

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
;):kissing_heart::kissing_heart:
Okay, I'll chime in. It is important to understand that the butt is made up of two major muscle groups, the gluteus maximus and the gluteus medius, The gluteus maximus is larger (therfore maximus) and is the lower part of the butt that responds more to squat-like activities such as stair steps and such. The gluteus medius is upper and outer and is the muscle in which they give (or should give) injections. When they are well-developed, they provide that "shelf" look. They do not respond to squat-like movements very much at all. They are activated by pushing the legs back, pushing the body up from a lying, knees flexed position, and similar movements. They are more difficult to develop because we can walk, run. climb without activating them much at all. But there are specific exercises that will help and there is quite a bit about this on YouTube. Just search gluteus medius.
omg dave you saved the day! best answer so far! :kissing_heart:

cockwitch

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I tried the fire hydrant thing. It felt wonderful! But a total killer on my knees. And I did a few hip thrust but it just made my back ache. trial and error

cockwitch

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
This, plus deads and back squats (squeeze your ass at the top).

And make sure you activate your glutes first. Get them firing before you just jump in. Then concentrate on what muscle you're using every rep...mind-muscle connection is key.

thank you so much mister!

Reactions: loloster

cantaloupe

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
There are some butt machines in the gym, lots of butt workout routines on youtube. You'll find the right exercises. A mix of different ones is best

roundmidnight01

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Cammer
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Hip thrusts and glute kickbacks.

Barbell hip thrusts are probably the best exercise for growing your glutes, in addition to deadlifts, squats, RDLs and lunges.

If hip thrusts are hurting your back, you may not be setting up right. Make sure your head is looking forward (as opposed to upward), your heels are on the ground, your shoulder blades are on your bench and squeeze the fuck out of your abs. Three or 4 sets at 10 reps should makes your ass sore as hell.

LargeUnit

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
So much of butt work is proper form. Swallow your pride on the weight and make sure your form is impeccable. As stated in here - all those exercises work with good form. Another is the Roman chair - arch your back when coming up to focus on the glutes, don’t swing snd time under tension is key.

Reactions: Scarletbegonia