Assad is a cunt.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Drifterwood, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Drifterwood

Gold Member

Fuck him.

2. Hoss

Gold Member

Albums:
    Details? Has he done something new? Is there a news item I should be looking for?

3. Drifterwood

Gold Member

Can you go any lower than targeting and shooting kids with your snipers?

4. Jason

Gold Member

Says something about how morally desensitised his army is - their training must be quite something.

It also says something about how morally desensitised the nations that support him are. Russia and China have both in effect given their support - and the people of those nations are not voicing their outrage.

5. dandelion

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    didnt realise he was your type!

I dont know how libya is going to settle down but so far it looks like the right kind of military intervention. just get shot of someone who is largely disliked, and then get the hell out and leave it to the locals. This is absolutley not how these things normally go. Normally, you might have expected the US to support Gadaffi, just as Russia is now supporting Assad. Because if a leader is reliant upon your support to protect him from his people then he will do what you want. And the US did try to stay true to form.

Now we have a big power stand off which is really powers seeking their own gain, not interested in the greater good of the people who happen to live there. Which is interesting but doesnt help do anything about it. The question is do we believe in the Un, or do we believe in might is right. if the latter, then we simply ignore Russia and take action. But who wants another war?

6. ConanTheBarber

Gold Member

He showed a bit of promise early on ... but the acorn finally didn't fall far from the tree.
    Over four decades, fifteen percent of the population have oppressed and dominated the majority.
    Lose power now and you lose your head.
    He's been painted into a corner by history.
    Nice ride while it lasted.

7. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

Assad is an Israeli?

8. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

Ah. Looks like US is contemplating humanitarian aid to Syria. Look for thousands of khaki-wearing humanitarians with guns to show up any day now.

9. tamati

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    thats training children as snipers, and having them shoot children.

10. ConanTheBarber

Gold Member

I think they'll do a Libya, if they do anything.

11. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    Syria is not very much like Libya. Politically, geographically, culturally, they are very different. Look for the regime to be continue to be destabilized by external and internal enemies and the army to stage a coup. This is the best the west and the other Arab states and the Turks can hope for. I'll be shocked if there is any overt action beyond sending arms in to the rebels.

12. Drifterwood

Gold Member

I see that the Turkish foreign minister is in or will soon be in Washington to push for / discuss the NATO response. My gut feel is that Turkey is central to a solution in Syria. The Russian initiative for progress through dialogue looks totally lame and disingenuous.

13. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    It's always a fool's game to try and predict what may happen in mid-east politics, but I think that for Turkey to get involved militarily, there would have to be a real flood of refugees crossing the border. So far they are limited to the 10,000 or so that came into Hatay last summer. The regime in Syria has always been effective at suppressing the Kurdish population living in the country, which of course has suited the Turkish government quite well. An invasion by the armed forces into Syria would be fraught with complications. There is no one group on rebel side. You have Sunnis, Shia, Kurds, Christian, Islamists, secularists.... it's a bit of a mess and what the Turks crave the most is stability for their huge export market in goods and services to clients in Arab and N. African countries. The naive, "No problems with the Neighbors" motto of Turkish foreign policy hasn't been heard much for the past year as they realize they have to be more politically engaged. But this Syrian thing is going to get worse before it ends.

Calling Assad a cunt is an insult to all other cunts.

The Russian "initiative" and the Chinese vote at the UN are not based on anything more than the fear of being next on the list. Putin thinks the Arab spring is a totally bad example for his own people to be seeing, in case they get any ideas.

#13 vince, Feb 9, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  14. 6inchcock

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Look north and turn left, real sudden like
    Verified:
    Photo
    Agreed with all of the above, you should probably get a job with State.

15. avg_joe

Gold Member

I want to kill this mofu. The evil twin, China and Russia, are blocking the UN resolution, protecting Assad.

16. B_BimBob

B_BimBob New Member

I was in Syria in the early 80s. Went through Homs & Hama on way to Aleppo. A fortnight later Hama was flattened by Assad snrs troops for Muslim Brotherhood support. I left Aleppo when someone commented that 7 Russians had been shot that week by the Muslim Brotherhood snipers and I didn't look any different to a Russian down the rifle barrels sights.
    The general Syrian public are good people - I know quite a few Syrians here in UK - but as ever the ruling people !!

Careful what you wish for in the overthrow of the obviously evil Assad - the result of an overthrow may lead to radical Islamists taking over - with the inevitable anti Western views whose sole aim is to win back the status quo where the Crusades left off. The Western world has moved on in the last 700 to 800 years - unfortunately the 'ragheads' haven't and wish to atke us back to those times ! No thanks. The timescale to them is irrelevant. They will do it in your own country (if you let them) by steady population growth until they are a majority - 50, 100, 500 years - they don't mind - the goal is a single minded one

17. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yes, he is.

18. Jason

Gold Member

The risks of the overthrow of Assad are enormous. But I think they have to be taken.

The nation that so far has said little on the problem is Israel. Israel will know more about what is going on in Syria than anyone else. In view of the links between Syria and Iran they must surely be seeing Assad's overthrow as a way of further isolating Iran - the danger of course is that an isolated Iran might lash out at Israel. So far Israel is just watching.

19. B_BimBob

B_BimBob New Member

True words Jason. My experience of living / working in the arab world (8 years) leaves me with the knowledge that nothing can be second guessed as to what really goes through the arab mind. Logic as we know it in the western world does not apply - full stop.

Israelis - same tribe - different religion if you go back far enough.

My money is on the Israelis putting their 'marker' out 1st as far as Iran is concerned. They are the only people who know what is going on out there and understand how the arab mind ticks. Hence they do what they do when they do - - much to the 'western world' onlookers consternation.

20. OhWiseOne

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    First, I agree with the OP's opinion of Assad.

Second, the UN / NATO are just a bunch of special interest groups that need to be disbanded or at a minimum the U.S. needs to resign from both.

Third, Isreal are they good or bad? I'm confused on everyones position. Oh that's right they do what they need to do to protect themselves. To bad innocent people get killed but that happens. No such thing as a clean war / conflict / military operation.

Forth, I agree we should not impose our will or ideals on others so we need to stay out of thier business and what happens happens. The reverse side of that is they should not attempt to fuck with our way of life. Hmmm that probably won't happen.

Lastly, I really don't give a flying fuck what happens to those poeple. The same opinion that they have of us.

Draft saved Draft deleted